Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Kingston USB Memory issue with OSX 10.3.4

Kingston USB Memory issue with OSX 10.3.4
tomacwhite
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2004, 07:14 PM

Hi, wondering if you guys could possibly help please?

I have a 12" G4 iBook with Panther 10.3.4 and I have just bought a Kingston Data Traveller 2.0 256mb USB memory card.

It connects and works fine for transferring data. However, when I delete a file off of the device, I don't get the free space back. For example you get roughly 243mb to play with. If I copy a 10mb file over and then later delete it, it will stay at 233mb and not return to the oringal amount.

I have added some more files then deleted again, and again I don't get the space back. I called Kingston up about it, and they told me to goto Disc Utilities and reformat it - This worked and gave me back my space as it formatted the card, but when I tried to delete files on there, again I didn't get the space back.

I was told to format it in MAC OS Standard. This probably isnt right as I need to use it on a PC too (which I don't have access to right now).

Does anyone have any advice on what could be causing the problem? Could the USB device be faulty, or is Panther not doing something correcty? Its fully compatible with OS10 according to the manual and the guy on the phone at Kingston.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules