Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > ArsTechnica's reasons for MacIntel

ArsTechnica's reasons for MacIntel
Mafia
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2005, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by ArsTechnica
For the real reason behind the switch, you have to look to the fact that it's the iPod and iTMS—not the Mac—that are now driving Apple's revenues and stock price. As I stated in my previous article on the switch, Apple is more concerned with scoring Intel's famous volume discounts on the Pentium (with its attendant feature-rich chipsets) and XScale lines than it is about the performance, or even the performance per Watt, of the Mac.
Full Story

author claims that after the new ibm chips were announced its pretty clear apple was after the discounts rather then performance. but he also says that ibm's failure to supply a sufficient number of chips on newly released apple products. its a very interesting read none the less.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2005, 12:53 PM

Makes sense. Intel can deliver CPUs for all markets. This way Apple can stick with a single vendor versus going through 3 different vendors to supply their chips.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2005, 01:44 PM

Good insight. I'm not convinced that there will be a video iPod though. Seems clear to me that Jobs doesn't consider it a viable platform for video and I agree with him. But Xscale does raise the specter of some sort of PDA-like device coming along. Or perhaps more PDA features for iPod which would be fantastic, IMO--e.g. the ability to input dates and contacts rather than just display them.

The question that remains in my mind is whether or not Apple will buy integrated video chips from Intel for low end machines. Not sure how well that would sit with Mac fans who already bemoan the choice of GPUs on the Mac side, but it makes great business sense for Apple. Maybe a $399 Mini shows up with Intel graphics? Maybe a low-end iBook?

I'd hate to see them ever use a chipset that can't support Core Video (again) but who knows. At those kind of price-points it would be hard to complain.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2005, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by thunderous_funker
The question that remains in my mind is whether or not Apple will buy integrated video chips from Intel for low end machines. Not sure how well that would sit with Mac fans who already bemoan the choice of GPUs on the Mac side, but it makes great business sense for Apple. Maybe a $399 Mini shows up with Intel graphics? Maybe a low-end iBook?

I'd hate to see them ever use a chipset that can't support Core Video (again) but who knows. At those kind of price-points it would be hard to complain.
I've had issues with this as well. If anything Apple will have more options.

For servers, you really don't need much more than basic graphic capabilities.

Forum Links
Forum Rules