Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Reception sucks?

Reception sucks?
Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2005, 02:35 PM

I love my powerbook, but when reception is not great, it is horrible for wireless. I am in grad school and we have this 1 class in a crappy reception room. Everyone with a PC gets online just fine, but none of us with Aluminum powerbooks can get on for more than 2 min at a time, my signal is just too low. I have seen this illustrated time and time again, what is the solution? does anyone make a pcmcia wireless card with better reception that i can pull out when i get into this class room?
| MBA Student | MacAddict | CarAddict | PhotoNut | Dork | PhishHead |

giggs11
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2005, 03:46 PM

I've had a problem recently with reception cutting out for a couple minutes or so, for no apparent reason. It only started happening over the past couple of months or so (bought the PB in July 2004), and I can't figure it out.

brent0saurus
Sep 9, 2005, 12:33 AM

I have bad reception too with my 15" Albook. I called applecare because if i'm right next to my iMac G3 which gets full service, i get about 2 bars. Apple literally said, "it's not our fault that your imac g3 gets better service than your powerbook." I argued for a while saying that my powerbook is newer, the g3 has a 802.11 b card, and the powerbook has an 802.11G, and my wireless router is compatible with both. The argument ended with me being exhausted and hopeless. I'm finding lots of "osx optimizers" online that my help. To name a few, there's Tiger Cache Clean Up and System Optimizer x47. Although i just tried System Optimizer x47 and wheni restarted my computer took unusually long to load my icons and dock and i even got the color wheel when i was typing in my password. This scares the hell out of me but usually when you install something or do anything that requires a restart your mac acts a little funky....(at least mine does...)
Anyway, i don't know if it was a coincidence or what but when using the internet optimizer in Tiger Cache Clean Up, my internet jumped up a bar. I wasn't in a reallllly low signal area but i would normally have 3 bars and i jumped up to 4. But who knows. I am reallly unhappy with my wireless signal and being around a bunch of dells who think they are so awesome and make fun of me because they think i'm a snobby mac user and my internet doesnt work hurts really bad.

I hope my long ADD inspired rambling helps.

giggs11
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2005, 10:48 AM

Well, I've installed Mac Stumbler and I'm going to continue to monitor the situation. If I lose the connection to my network, but can still see other neighboring networks, I'll assume the problem is with my router. If I can't see anything, it would have to be my PB's wireless card.

nsbio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2005, 06:33 PM

What Powerbooks certainly DO NOT excel at is the airport reception. Where I get patchy reception at best with my 15'' RevD PB, my friends with PC laptops NEVER get reception dropouts. And, to add insult to injury, they can see at least two more wireless networks from the neighbors, while my PB NEVER sees any other networks. Those PC friends tried really hard not to laugh at me and I do not blame them.

Powerbooks, despite their shortcomings, are still the best laptops out there, but sometimes Apple is a bit too harsh in refusing to take care of certain features. They must know about poor airport reception on their G4 Powerbooks but they keep largely ignoring that since the very beginning of G4 PBs.

Again, it is not too big of a deal, at least not a deal breaker. Just do not try to bet on whose Wi-Fi reception is better with PC people .

(Just for the record: I would still NOT trade my PB for any PC laptop).
( Last edited by nsbio; Sep 10, 2005 at 05:18 PM. Reason: typo)

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2005, 10:28 AM

Same situation here.

I tried to use a 15" PB rev. C and while it would see my network (and my neighbors), I couldn't connect to it without using the interference robustness. The interference robustness seems to sap more battery life!

A friend brough his ibook over and it worked like a charm...no need for the IR.

ALSO, the ibook (using airport) transferred data at TWICE the speed of the PB. It seems that the PBooks really loose out on reception. At least with the 15 and 17 inch models you can use a PC wireless card, but those folks who use a 12 PB are pretty much hosed.

Does the AL case make that much of a difference, and WHY hasn't Apple fixed this problem? It is going on 4+ years now.

Joe

gametime10
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2005, 10:54 AM

Had the same problem with my 15" PB Rev. C and I fixed it by replacing it with an iBook! =)

nsbio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2005, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by lamewing
Same situation here.

Does the AL case make that much of a difference, and WHY hasn't Apple fixed this problem? It is going on 4+ years now.

I guess it does, 'cause it may be hard to circumvent the laws of physics while preserving the clean design within a metal enclosure. The only practical (or rather, theoretical) answer to that would be to employ a retractable antenna, just like in older style cell phones.

I would take good reception, even if it means having to pull out a dorky antenna, over the frustration of not being able to connect at all. And no, I do not want to buy aftermarket contraptions (those hideous external antenna additions, for example) that are supposed to do the job of what is advertised as a built-in capability.

This might mean that Apple would have to do away with the metal casing for their next generations of portables, and switch to something more radiowave-friendly. I'd bet you a dollar on that .

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2005, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by nsbio
I guess it does, 'cause it may be hard to circumvent the laws of physics while preserving the clean design within a metal enclosure. The only practical (or rather, theoretical) answer to that would be to employ a retractable antenna, just like in older style cell phones.

I would take good reception, even if it means having to pull out a dorky antenna, over the frustration of not being able to connect at all. And no, I do not want to buy aftermarket contraptions (those hideous external antenna additions, for example) that are supposed to do the job of what is advertised as a built-in capability.

This might mean that Apple would have to do away with the metal casing for their next generations of portables, and switch to something more radiowave-friendly. I'd bet you a dollar on that .
An iBook may work as a replacement for me, but I am curious if the 12 inchers have the same problem....different body design = different antenna location?

It would be nice if Apple went to something like carbon fiber...strong, lightweight and no reception issues.

After trying the ibook in my home I am pretty sure that it is the machine for me...at least for now. I may look at an iBook 600 (if I can find one cheap) and just use it until the new pbooks come out.

Bruck  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2005, 02:09 PM

What pc cards can i buy to put in my 15, i wouldn't mind that so much as NOT being able to get on at all.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2005, 10:58 PM

For those of you with wireless networks at home, you can increase the range of the network (and therefore increase the chance of your Powerbook to receive said network) by setting your router to operate in the 802.11b mode, NOT the g mode.

B has significantly better range than G. G is worthless UNLESS you are transferring files between two computers. Internet speeds are not any better with a G system.

Now, for the situation where you are using somebody else's network (Starbucks, your school, Apple Store) you might consider getting another wireless card (for 15" and 17" Powerbook owners) to increase the range.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Bruck  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2005, 11:05 PM

people keep saying this , but not all wireless pc cards have mac drivers, and recomendations for good ones (maybe one with a foldable external antenna)?

Thanks!

giggs11
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2005, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Macpilot
For those of you with wireless networks at home, you can increase the range of the network (and therefore increase the chance of your Powerbook to receive said network) by setting your router to operate in the 802.11b mode, NOT the g mode.

B has significantly better range than G. G is worthless UNLESS you are transferring files between two computers. Internet speeds are not any better with a G system.
Hmm, I was under the impression that both 802.11b and g use the same 2.4 GHz frequency. Why then would b deliver better range?

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2005, 03:39 PM

I am no engineer, I just read it on an Apple training module. B is apparently significantly better range than G. I have proved it with several laptops several times in my residence.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2005, 04:12 PM

reception really bad for me, maybe my router is dying... both modem and router (each b) made by belkin.

i was using a metal ruler as a makeshift antenna for a long time. last month i noticed reception was fine so i put the ruler away. then i find out i had been piggybacking someone else's signal! i think i'll just move the router closer to my powerbook.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2005, 04:13 PM

reception really bad for me, maybe my router is dying... both modem and router (each b) made by belkin.

i was using a metal ruler as a makeshift antenna for a long time. last month i noticed reception was fine so i put the ruler away. then i find out i had been piggybacking someone else's signal! i think i'll just move the router closer to my powerbook.

i started using iStumbler again

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2005, 05:02 PM

An iBook may work as a replacement for me, but I am curious if the 12 inchers have the same problem....different body design = different antenna location?
It is not so much the body design as it is the material (metal). The PC laptops (and the iBooks) that have so better reception are all in plastic enclosures. Also, I remember having read reports that, coompared to Panther, Tiger improved substantially the reception, even on Powerbooks.

It would be nice if Apple went to something like carbon fiber...strong, lightweight and no reception issues.
I don't understand why the next Powerbook should be in carbon fiber. But I understand that Apple should abandon the metal casing in favor of one more wireless friendly.

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2005, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Pierre B.
It is not so much the body design as it is the material (metal). The PC laptops (and the iBooks) that have so better reception are all in plastic enclosures. Also, I remember having read reports that, coompared to Panther, Tiger improved substantially the reception, even on Powerbooks.

I don't understand why the next Powerbook should be in carbon fiber. But I understand that Apple should abandon the metal casing in favor of one more wireless friendly.
Would you expect them to go back to plastic for their flagship notebooks? Not going to happen. Carbon fiber is light, strong and resiliant. Whatever they do, they need to drop the metal casing or add an antenna (discretely) to provide better reception.

amazing
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2005, 02:08 AM

For those having poor reception with their own routers, change the channel on the router. Use something like istumbler to find an unoccupied channel (if your neighbors have WAPs.) Also, turn off cordless phones, etc (nothing you can do about your neighbor's cordless, sadly.)

For wireless PC-cards, find one with a Broadcom chip. My Cisco aironet 350 worked fine with Panther, probably still works with Tiger (can't verify on my present 12"). Simple enough to find what works at a big box store with a good return policy.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2005, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by amazing
For those having poor reception with their own routers, change the channel on the router. Use something like istumbler to find an unoccupied channel.
that seems to have worked. i also opened AirPort Setup Assistant to make my computers connect to my own network as the default instead of the first/best signal, which is still my neighbor's (my connection speed is way faster).

Originally Posted by amazing
...Also, turn off cordless phones, etc (nothing you can do about your neighbor's cordless, sadly.)
that ain't happening.

thanks for the tips!

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2005, 01:11 PM

As far as PC Cards, there is some software from Orangeware that is supposed to work with a variety of PC Cards ( D-Link, Netgear, Aztec, Elecom, Fujitsu, IBM, Linksys, NEC, Samsung and Sony, and many more.) out there.

I am waiting to hear back from them if they are working on new drivers that may help with a NetGear RangeMax wireless PC Card. It would be sweet if I could get this thing to work.
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

m3transporter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2005, 02:42 PM

I guess i am the only one that doesnt really have any of these problems. At school, i got better signal than my buddy with a compaq, at home, i have full signal on all 3 floors, and on the rear deck.

Im completely satisfied with the reception on my powerbook.

Btw, i am running the Belkin Pre-N Router and it is in my basement, and im on the third floor with full signal typing this

JKT
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2005, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Pierre B.
Also, I remember having read reports that, coompared to Panther, Tiger improved substantially the reception, even on Powerbooks.
Tiger didn't change the reception, it changed what was displayed by the menubar icon - they switched from signal strength to signal quality. The strength of the signal doesn't matter, it is the quality that is important for your reception (obviously, with a significantly weaker signal, the more likely it is to be of poor quality too). People were suddenly seeing 4 bars instead of the 1 or 2 they previously had in Panther because, although the strength wasn't great, the quality was.

worldwearyeyes
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2005, 11:51 PM

i've got a RevD 12" and I get fantastic reception. I get 4 bars when my wife's ibook gets only 1 or 2 (though I think hers is worse than normal ibooks). At the pub, my powerbook can get reception when my friends' PCs get nothin. Not trying to boast, but someone did ask about the reception on 12"s.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2005, 11:44 PM

Anybody here try to set their routers to B mode instead of G mode?

This will TRIPLE your range. G is only a 50 foot range, while B is 150 feet.

Do this before wasting money on a new PCMCIA wireless card.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

tie
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2005, 12:00 AM

IBM (/Lenovo) advertises that they put a secondary antenna in the upper corner of the screen to improve wireless range, perhaps Apple can pick up on this. Their cases are pretty heavy duty, too (in my experience better than Powerbooks).

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2005, 12:34 AM

I'm with m3transporter, no problems with reception here and at my folks house i was able to see the two different neighbor's wireless portals. I am using a flux capacitor though so that might have something to do with it ;-).
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram
*15"pb*1.67*128vm*100hd*2g ram*
*PMac*Dual 2.0GHz* 4g ram*
*3.0 p4 630* gigabyte848p775* radeon X800 Pro 256* 2g ram*

brent0saurus
Sep 20, 2005, 10:23 AM

you're definitely correct about the wireless B mode. I have an iMac G3 that gets perfect reception where my powerbook gets 2 bars, and loses connection a lot. i called applecare and asked them what was up and they were just like, "it's not our fault that your imac gets better reception than your powerbook." UNFAIR!!! Then he tried to tell me that it must be because my router wasn't compatible with apple's latest wireless 802.11 G wireless cards....even though my linksys router is 802.11 g and b....so i don't know what he was talking about....
does anyone else find that apple just tries to hide the fact that the reception on powerbooks is worse than ibooks??? I've called numerous times trying to see if i can get someone else to tell me what i can do about it but they're always like, "it's the same card...they get the same reception" and i know it's the same card but they definitely don't get the same reception....iBooks get way better reception than my powerbook. Oh well...

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2005, 12:18 AM

http://www.macwireless.com/html/prod...ards/index.php

Haven't tried them, but $39 with airport card trade-in, not affiliated, your mileage may vary.

The 11b cards will not work with OSX, only the g cards, make note.
Please keep in mind the ambiguously selective general understandings we've all agreed upon...

amazing
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2005, 01:00 AM

When the present generation 15" AlPB came out, macintouch.com at first mentioned that reception wasn't very good. The bad thing about the present design is that the user can no longer access the card to check whether the antenna cable is pushed all the way in. The rev D 12" allows you to check the cable and card in the battery compartment, but the 15" doesn't. The cable might tend to work itself loose during shipping and bumpy travel, though that seems unlikely?

The only way you're going to get any satisfaction complaining about 15" reception, is if you take it in to an Apple Store and use MacStumbler or iStumbler right in the store, side by side with their display models. If the numbers are significantly different, then the Apple Genius will send it in for service. Personally, I'd go with using a wireless pc-card...

Historically, the iBooks have always had better wireless range than the PB. Plastic vs metal = no brainer.

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2005, 03:24 AM

Anybody here try to set their routers to B mode instead of G mode?

This will TRIPLE your range. G is only a 50 foot range, while B is 150 feet.

Do this before wasting money on a new PCMCIA wireless card.
Is this something you can do with all routers? I have a D-Link DI-624 which is 802.11g and 802.11b Compatible, but I can't find any setting that makes it switch to 802.11b-mode..

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2005, 04:13 AM

Your D-Link manual should say something about this. How did you configure the router? Is it via a web browser?
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2005, 04:36 AM

Your D-Link manual should say something about this. How did you configure the router? Is it via a web browser?
Yes, I configure the router via my webbrowser - But the manual (or anything in the settings) doesn't mention anything about a b/g mode-switch, so I'm not sure if the router is even capable of doing this

btw: Would I get better reception by getting a PC-card like this? (I have an Alu 15" PB)
( Last edited by nooon; Sep 23, 2005 at 03:29 AM. )

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2005, 10:09 AM

I'll post my input on this.
I've gone through 3 different Powerbooks and have also found weird wireless reception problems.
Router is in my room so there is no reason for me to get a bad signal. Should be full signal all the time.

12" Al. 1.33Ghz Rev C. No problems at all.. full bars.
Upgraded to a 15"... 12" was too small for me
15" Al. 1.0 Ghz Rev. A. Terrible reception... 1-2 bars and this was constantly breaking up.... Didn't last long.. Sold it for a
15" Al. 1.67 Ghz Rev. D. Same as the Rev. C.. no problems at all..

Could be just the design of the 15" PB.. i havn't had any issues with my Rev. D like i had with my Rev. A...
Its a keeper..
15" 2.33 MBP 2GB Ram, 120GB HD - Main Rig

Forum Links
Forum Rules