Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New 15" Lid Wobbles

New 15" Lid Wobbles
CandyApple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2005, 12:13 AM

When the lid is closed and I put my hand on the top and press down, it isn't a tight close, therefore, I can feel it wobble up and down. [there is space on both sides of the lid] Is that normal or are they all like this? Just bought it, will I have to pay the $200.00 restocking fee?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2005, 12:23 AM

From what I've read in the forums here, the gap is a feature, not a bug.

CandyApple  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2005, 12:36 AM

Feature?

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2005, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by CandyApple
Feature?
I think Mark is pulling your chain. (reference to the "it's not a bug, it's a feature" by Micro$oft)

iBorg

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2005, 01:35 AM

None of them close tightly that I've seen. I don't think you would want it to -- the clearance between the keys and the screen is pretty tight. If you really do want a tightening effect you can get little pads -- I think they're called WildEepz -- to protect everything; probably a good idea if you're carrying the computer in a briefcase or backpack as opposed to a dedicated computer bag.

The only reason the screen flops around at all is because the pads Apple builds into the display are a tad smaller than they should be. Don't sweat it.

natalie klein
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2005, 06:16 AM

I have the same problem. Also, when closed, my lid isn't aligned properly. A little bit of the lid hangs off the right... (sorry if I highjacked this thread)

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2005, 09:39 AM

It's absolutely normal, I've had 3 Powerbooks and they all had the gap and so do all the Powerbooks I've seen at Apple Stores.

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2005, 09:39 AM

It's absolutely normal, I've had 3 Powerbooks and they all had the gap and so do all the Powerbooks I've seen at Apple Stores.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2005, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by CandyApple
Feature?
Yes, feature, as in it was designed to be that way. What you are seeing is not a one-off defect.

iBorg got the reference I was making.

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2005, 04:40 PM

It was designed that way so that oils from your skin which end up on the keyboard do not mark up the screen when the lid is closed. (TiBook owners had this problem.)

brent0saurus
Nov 5, 2005, 05:03 PM

i am here to save the day and solve your problem!!

I had the same problem. I guess it is a feature but i know where you're coming from. It is annoying and there's not reason that they couldn't make it close securely AND keep the screen from touching the keyboard. SOOOOOO....
I bought these pads that you attatch so it closes more securely and helps even more with keeping your screen away from the keyboard when closed. They're expensive but i guess it was worth it. They really do work and don't hurt your powerbook because they stick, but are removable and you can reuse them. Here's the link:

http://www.radtech.us/Products/Wildeepz.aspx

also, i was worried about them being asthetically obtrusive but the site makes them look more obtrusive than they actually are. You can hardly notice them and other people i know that have powerbooks have never even mentioned them. Hope this helps!

Vagner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2005, 06:55 PM

Someone suggested on using a Shaggymac screen protector rather than those expensive rubber pads. The screen protector will cushion the screen and close the gap, eliminating the anoying wobble. Very happy with it!

http://www.shaggymac.com

CandyApple  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2005, 01:00 AM

Thank you all. I appreciate the responses and links!

PowerBook Dude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2005, 05:24 PM

I had the same thing on a Sony laptop, what i did was tighten some screws somwhere.

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2005, 01:12 PM

I would like to say one thing, and one thing only. But since it's impossible for me to speak, I use words:

www.radtech.us
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2005, 03:05 PM

Since you'll be at RadTech, I'd suggest grabbing a Notebook ScreensavRz and a Sleevz for Notebooks.

Those are two great investments for your PowerBook, they'll keep the screen nice and scratch free as well as the outside case. Even if you put your PowerBook in a laptop case, stuff like the zipper can scratch it as you take it out. So I bought a ScreensavRz for a cushion between the screen and the keyboard, as well as a Sleevz to protect the outside of the PowerBook from nicks and scratches, as well as moisture! (if you travel a lot, those two are invaluable.)
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules