Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Murphys Law on the iMac 2002......

Murphys Law on the iMac 2002......
Christopher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2001, 08:36 PM

I was thinking real negative.What if...the new machine does look like
the regular Apple LCD plus, some speakers.I remembered my brother saying He
doesnt trust Steve Jobs.If we didnt have Big Steve....then what...Bill Gates.He cant even get a good design for the quote famous X-Box.With the billions he has. I would of designed a unit so...awesome...so.. unique.
Not to worry my friends.Your Pal will not let you down this time.Apple Computer will Rock & Roll.We will be happy.We will be partying...2002
is our year.It is the year for Apple.We can always run Windows with software.We are not limited.We have two machines in one.we have Motorola.
We will overpower Intel.When they get a virus.. they need to re-install
their software.Plus,erase all their information on the Hard drive.We dont!!! I want on my iMac to say,in Hebrew lettering.Behold the wrath of the Lord.No Bin Laden who lives like a Rat in a cave.Can Make us worry for too long.God Bless America.For we are free.Free to dream and Live.The LCD screen is it not better due to less radiation and electricity.

FXWizard
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2001, 08:48 PM

Dude, you're not supposed to drink the entire bottle of NyQuil at once...

Christopher  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2001, 09:30 PM

Sorry about that.I have waited too long for this machine.The excitement
and the wait is just too much.It got to me.Over the course of 14 years I have spent
about $38,000.00 on Apple and NeXT computers.As well as Silicon Graphics.So I definitely need to chill.I wont post anymore.But instead I will patiently wait.Thank-you all for the interesting posts.I heard SGI and Cisco would
be using the Motorola G5 chip.That SGI was abandoning their MIPS chip.

milhous
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2001, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by Christopher:
<STRONG>I was thinking real negative.What if...the new machine does look like
the regular Apple LCD plus, some speakers.I remembered my brother saying He
doesnt trust Steve Jobs.If we didnt have Big Steve....then what...Bill Gates.He cant even get a good design for the quote famous X-Box.With the billions he has. I would of designed a unit so...awesome...so.. unique.
Not to worry my friends.Your Pal will not let you down this time.Apple Computer will Rock & Roll.We will be happy.We will be partying...2002
is our year.It is the year for Apple.We can always run Windows with software.We are not limited.We have two machines in one.we have Motorola.
We will overpower Intel.When they get a virus.. they need to re-install
their software.Plus,erase all their information on the Hard drive.We dont!!! I want on my iMac to say,in Hebrew lettering.Behold the wrath of the Lord.No Bin Laden who lives like a Rat in a cave.Can Make us worry for too long.God Bless America.For we are free.Free to dream and Live.The LCD screen is it not better due to less radiation and electricity.</STRONG>
And that just blew my mind
F = ma

austeros
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2001, 12:18 AM

lol, i just hope you arent dissapointed =)

There's someone in my head but its not me...

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2001, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by FXWizard:
Dude, you're not supposed to drink the entire bottle of NyQuil at once...
Methinks it was more like J&B! LOL!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Cipher13
Dec 15, 2001, 10:46 AM

Wow. You are gonna be so shattered.

Unless of course you're Steve Jobs having some fun. That wouldn't surprise me.

Whatever you're trippin' on, where can I get some?

xyber233
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2001, 10:59 AM

Don't worry, salvation will come in January .

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 15, 2001, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by Christopher:
<STRONG>Sorry about that.I have waited too long for this machine.The excitement
and the wait is just too much.It got to me.Over the course of 14 years I have spent
about $38,000.00 on Apple and NeXT computers.As well as Silicon Graphics.So I definitely need to chill.I wont post anymore.But instead I will patiently wait.Thank-you all for the interesting posts.I heard SGI and Cisco would
be using the Motorola G5 chip.That SGI was abandoning their MIPS chip.</STRONG>
You are more than welcome to keep posting, especially if they read anything like your first one!

(Also, can you spread a little of that money, or your older machines, my way? I'd like a NeXT Cube and a Powerbook, and a, and a... Well, it is the season for giving, right? right? oh well.... )

Thanks! That brightened my day!

Victor Marks
[email protected]
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

georgius
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2001, 03:18 PM

A real part from Murphy's Law:

90% of everything is crap.

So let us - the priveleged Macintosh few be that 10% of prowess and excellence. You're right Christopher...stuff the 90% Wondoze beige lot. Lets stand up and be proud...

...amen to that.
widget.alnora.com

for macintosh gui

xyber233
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2001, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by georgius:
<STRONG>A real part from Murphy's Law:

90% of everything is crap.

So let us - the priveleged Macintosh few be that 10% of prowess and excellence. You're right Christopher...stuff the 90% Wondoze beige lot. Lets stand up and be proud...

...amen to that.</STRONG>
Amen !

neilw
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2001, 02:23 AM

That's actually Sturgeon's Law, named after SF author Theodore Sturgeon who, confronted with a skeptic who said "90% of science fiction is crap", retorted "90% of everything is crap." At least that's the way the story goes. It is a brilliant insight into the universe.

What does this have to do with the iMac again?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2001, 05:00 PM

I'm starting to come around with the LCD mac idea, but if it doesn't show in Jan. a ton of people are going to be pissed.

If Jobs shows a slightly bumped 1 GHz G4 and a 900 MHz iMac in the same old case along with some demos of Adobe software, people are going to be PISSED!!!

I am still holding out for the headless iMac...

nyarlaho
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2001, 01:03 AM

That's actually Sturgeon's Law, named after SF author Theodore Sturgeon who, confronted with a skeptic who said "90% of science fiction is crap", retorted "90% of everything is crap." At least that's the way the story goes. It is a brilliant insight into the universe.

Right!! That guy Sturgeon wrote some great science fiction novels -- if you're ever at a second hand book market see if you can find some of his books! "More than human", "E Pluribus Unicorn" and "Dreaming Jewels" are some titels. It's not like ordinary science fiction, it's literary (whatever that means).

Originally, I thought the law was "99% of everything is crap", but I guess you're right, it's 90%.

nyarlahonull

boma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2001, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
<STRONG>I'm starting to come around with the LCD mac idea, but if it doesn't show in Jan. a ton of people are going to be pissed.

If Jobs shows a slightly bumped 1 GHz G4 and a 900 MHz iMac in the same old case along with some demos of Adobe software, people are going to be PISSED!!!</STRONG>
I think it would be rater fun reading these forums after such webcast.
I've never encounterd a bug in an iron-bar.

Cipher13
Dec 19, 2001, 06:23 AM

Originally posted by boma:
<STRONG>

I think it would be rater fun reading these forums after such webcast. </STRONG>
Oh, it is.

Stay tuned for "Ciphers' Macworld Bitchings part 4" in the Lounge...

lee vieira
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2001, 02:06 AM

To Ciph: hee hee hee. How true

Anyways, though, it does seem like component prices have finally come down enough so that Apple can do an LCD iMac at MWSF...though you'd have to be a fool to predict that it's a leadpipe cinch.

What'd I'd expect (if it happens): a $1299 LCD model and a $1499-1599 one, with 15" LCDs, and hopefully combo drives and hopefully 32mb Nvidia GeForce 2mx graphics and hopefully 1GHz G3 Sahara cpus. The $799 and $999 would remain CRT due to still-considerable LCD costs.

Again...NOT a prediction. I've seen too many people go down in flames pretending to be Nostradamus on this forum. And I say this as someone who's been better at predicting the future than most

The real question is not when it's gonna happen (it will eventually), it's 'If an LCD iMac came, would you buy it?'

--lee

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: lee vieira ]

xyber233
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2001, 09:36 AM

15" LCDs, and hopefully combo drives and hopefully 32mb Nvidia GeForce 2mx graphics and hopefully 1GHz G3 Sahara cpus.
This will come true...I am the related to Nostradamus and Miss Cleo so I know the future .

<lee_vieira_2Lazy_2Registe>
Dec 20, 2001, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by xyber233:
<STRONG>
This will come true...I am the related to Nostradamus and Miss Cleo so I know the future .</STRONG>

Miss Cleo scares me

--lee

xyber233
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2001, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by &lt;lee_vieira_2Lazy_2Registe&gt;:
<STRONG>

Miss Cleo scares me

--lee</STRONG>
Me too

MrBenn
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2001, 07:05 PM

I hope it does come true. Its sounds like a cool product, but I thought that about the G4 cube. Its a shame not enough other people thought the same.
Row, row, row your boat,
Gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream.

Dogma
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2001, 11:12 PM

On the subject of Murphy's Law, please change the name of the thread - jeez!

Murphy's Law is very simple - if something's got even the faintest chance of going wrong - it will.

I don't see the relevance to this thread - close, but no cigar.

Hey, do you know Alanis Morisette?
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

gacuna
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2001, 09:42 AM

What I would like to see, is a cheap computer, I mean yeah the iMacs are pretty cheap now, like 799, but I mean adding an LCD will they be able to keep it cheap, I mean I think Apple's problem, well is that they have never been on the cheap side, I mean maybe we are paying for more service and quality, but I just hope they are trying to keep it cheap, they have been trying. I have noticed.

<JoeG4Error>
Dec 29, 2001, 10:54 AM

A 15" LCD runs $200 now. iMac can have a 15" LCD happily, still cost $700

In fact, apple should sell them for as low as they can, and knowing how cheap those parts are, they can afford to sell at 600, and even 500 if they're willing to make less profit!

That'd show PC owners what's really cheap

Hey, apple support great? My butt says so, my monitor's 22", $2499, and I still have 30 dead pixels on it.. 'no defect found'

xyber233
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2001, 12:30 PM

Maybe they will still keep a CRT iMac for the inexpensive model.

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2001, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by &lt;JoeG4Error&gt;:
<STRONG>Hey, apple support great? My butt says so, my monitor's 22", $2499, and I still have 30 dead pixels on it.. 'no defect found'</STRONG>

You need to review Apple's position regarding their 'allowed' number of dead(or)stuck pixels. 30 sounds like too damned many to me. I'd suggest that even 5 or 6 is too many. Like most people. I'd prefer zero dead pixels.

If that was my $2500 monitor w/30 dead pixels, I'd find a way to kill it so I could return it under warranty. I'm thinking something like a 180Hz refresh rate or maybe a voltage spike...

[ 12-29-2001: Message edited by: TNproud2b ]
*empty space*

Dogma
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2001, 06:11 PM

Did you buy your 22" direct from Apple or a dealer?

I would think if you caused enough fuss the dealer would be more obliging than Apple to replace form their own stock. Best to be nice to them though - as if you get upset at them, they'll be no chance.

If anything - this advice. Get the displays from a dealer who will actually show you the screen out and running before you accept it as a finished item. That way, if it has more than one or two dead pixels, you don't need to buy it.

Apple tend to be a bit funny about returned goods from dealers, so get one that actually carries the displays - not some poor bugger who orders it especially for you. Also, the larger places will probably have more tech guys who can kill the guff monitor and send it back DOA.

Just a hint.
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

suprz
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2002, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>

Oh, it is.

Stay tuned for "Ciphers' Macworld Bitchings part 4" in the Lounge...</STRONG>
sounds like a good time! i'll bring the popcorn
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

<rmendis>
Jan 3, 2002, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by &lt;JoeG4Error&gt;:
<STRONG>A 15" LCD runs $200 now. iMac can have a 15" LCD happily, still cost $700</STRONG>
This is what makes me suspect that the new iMac (iMac 2 maybe?) will sport a G4. With slightly better performance than a PowerBook G4, they will have to price it similarly.

(I think the new 'shara' G3s are supposed to be for an updated iBook...they are low power processors). This will leave the iBook as the real entry level Apple machine for awhile. The price of the new iMac 2 will come down with time.

If Apple does put a G4 in an iMac (finally), i think that they will (have to) announce the PowerMac G5. Or make the PowerMac G4s exclusively dual processor machines.

one
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2002, 11:48 PM

Originally posted by georgius:
<STRONG>A real part from Murphy's Law:

90% of everything is crap.</STRONG>
That's Sturgeon's Law, actually (that's Theodore Sturgeon, the SF writer, died a few years back)
'Crime doesn't pay' - that's a philosophy....
Philosophy doesn't pay - that's a crime....

one
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2002, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by one:
<STRONG>

That's Sturgeon's Law, actually (that's Theodore Sturgeon, the SF writer, died a few years back)</STRONG>
:o Late again, I see....
'Crime doesn't pay' - that's a philosophy....
Philosophy doesn't pay - that's a crime....

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2002, 03:14 AM

i don't care what it looks like, as long as there is a G4 in there.....(at a decent speed)
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules