Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > MacUpdate? :o

MacUpdate? :o (Page 2)
amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2005, 03:09 PM

Jesus loves you.

Ratm
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2005, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
I think it is more sad than anything else. I mean if God is so great and everyone that accepts him is saved then why do people feel the need to shove it down others throats?

If he is as wonderful as they say he is I should be drawn to him myself? Instead a software update site feels the need to point to try god sites AND make money off of the links (they are clearly advertising links).

If Microsoft were to put up a website saying "Gay equality" then people would scream bloody murder.

Instead what is happening in this case the already religious folks will say they have a right to do what they like and everyone else will think they come off as desperate, nuts and trying to make money off Religion.

i think versiontracker just became my new site of choice.

Do these people do this every other day? Bi-weekly? Once a month? Have they done this in the past? No.

Don't try and interpret the actions of other people because the majority of the time you will be wrong. And all it does it breed mistrust, anger and negative energy that is only detrimental to yourself.

Anyways, enough with this I'm going to go enjoy this day. Peace and love, people.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2005, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by qnxde
Happy Holidays everyone!
Don't you mean Merry Christmas? The annual celebration of our saviour Jesus Christ's birth

Halleluja!
( Last edited by Busemann; Dec 25, 2005 at 03:37 PM. )

Ratm
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2005, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by demograph68
I don't appreciate a site telling me once a year that I'm not good enough because I don't worship something they do. It's not right.

Amazing how you interpreted that web-page. There is one thing that is for certain, I will not be converting to Jewish faith when there are people like yourself behaving the way that you do.

You represent your community and your religion, so act like it.

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2005, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by euchomai
I agree with you. Big deal, his faith is important (unless it's a hack). We should be proud he is standing for something. Pretty honorable if you ask me.
If I wanted to be preached to, I'd go to a church.

But seriously, who needs Jesus and downloading software togeather?
( Last edited by CollinG3G4; Dec 25, 2005 at 03:35 PM. )

paul w
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2005, 03:35 PM

To be honest it seems like he's preaching to the converted. I peronsally feel Christians are most effective evangelists when preaching by example: charitable works, appeals for peace, selfless acts of giving, etc.

This is his right, but I think he misses the mark - it's rather heavy handed and preachy. I'm curious if anyone will be drawn into his particular view of Christianity through this. If so I'd like to hear about it. Curious.

No need to fight about it though. It is absolutely the right of the owner of the site. Not offensive, but it is jarring to me.

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2005, 03:40 PM

Haha, that's just brilliant!

Granted, I don't agree with a word he says, but cheers to him for saying it. The people who think he's somehow not allowed to speak his mind because he has a popular domain (or because the message is religious, something many people have problems wrapping their heads around) are just, well, a bit shallow.

Anyhoo, macupdate rules.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2005, 03:43 PM

Idiots.

If this was a pro gay marriage message instead half of you would be so excited you’d get an erection at how progressive and bold the site was. It’s a privately owned website they can post whatever they want.

If you want to get pissy, go write letters to Apple for the Rosa Parks civics lesson. They are a publicly traded company and have shareholders who own the company. Who expect the site they own to sell computers not an opinion that she was anyone significant.
I guessed I missed the thread with all of you condemning that.

What a bunch of PC lemmings.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2005, 03:46 PM

Please black, homosexual, revolutionary, liberal, hedonist black baby Jeebus say that it's a hack.

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

Fire Of Zim
Baninated
Dec 25, 2005, 04:01 PM

Oh yeah, being against racism is SO politically incorrect.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2005, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
Idiots.

If this was a pro gay marriage message instead half of you would be so excited you’d get an erection at how progressive and bold the site was. It’s a privately owned website they can post whatever they want.
Actually i am gay and said the opposite. It is out of place and unprofessional. Not to mention they are making money off the clicks so in the end they probably don't care about Je$us all that much.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Nick
Dec 25, 2005, 04:08 PM

Replacing your home page with any sort of cult advertisement (be it christian, gay, pro-choice, islamic, anti-abortion, whatever) is bad business.

Putting some sort of ad or info box on the page would have been one thing. But replacing the whole front page with something like this shows a level of insanity approaching that of Tom Cruse.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2005, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Nick
Putting some sort of ad or info box on the page would have been one thing. But replacing the whole front page with something like this shows a level of insanity approaching that of Tom Cruse.
Exactly, if this was for Scientology everyone would be up in arms and never return to Macupdate.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Dec 25, 2005, 04:10 PM

Oh...so you had hoped it would have been a pro gay thing instead.

Ahhhhh...now we know!

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2005, 04:14 PM

If this was a pro gay marriage message instead half of you would be so excited you’d get an erection at how progressive and bold the site was.
Yea, and if it had been a site extolling the virtues of Islam I'm sure you'd be defending it just the same. Pffff.

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2005, 04:14 PM

No different. Actually worse since it was not approved by shareholders.
And yet no outrage here at the mixing of private agendas on a computer website.

Nick
Dec 25, 2005, 04:15 PM

So you don't believe black people should be allowed to share the bus equally? oh ok...

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2005, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Kr0nos
Yea, and if it had been a site extolling the virtues of Islam I'm sure you'd be defending it just the same. Pffff.
I am not extolling the virtues of Christianity I am pointing out the hypocrisy of your dumb ass.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2005, 04:20 PM

So you don't believe black people should be allowed to share the bus equally? oh ok...
So promotion of agendas so long as they are social and not religious is OK for a computer website in your book because its easier for you to swallow? Oh OK, I see how that's totally consistent

Busemann
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2005, 04:21 PM

No different. Actually worse since it was not approved by shareholders.
And yet no outrage here at the mixing of private agendas on a computer website.
WTF are you whining about? Apple don't need any special approval from shareholders for doing stuff like that. In fact, it's a long tradition for Apple to celebrate people who have thought differently, and a memorial of Rosa Parks is a very natural thing for Apple to do. It's not preachy, and done rather tastefully. The Macupdate thing is just bizarre.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2005, 04:24 PM

fine photoshop her into an iPod commercial dancing around.

Nick
Dec 25, 2005, 04:27 PM

So promotion of agendas so long as they are social and not religious is OK for a computer website in your book because its easier for you to swallow? Oh OK, I see how that's totally consistent[img]
http://forums.macnn.com/images/smilies/oldschool/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Rosa Parks is a public hero who helped reshape the way the world views human rights. Find me one prominent Apple shareholder who will go on record saying black people don't deserve rights...

Apple posted a tribute to her, plain and simple.

MacUpdate posted an advertisement for some type of Jesus-Jobs-iPod cult.

If they had posted a splash page saying "merry Christmas," few people would have complained.

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2005, 04:31 PM

If people want to use their domains to publish propaganda for their stupid beliefs, I'm all for it! I publish links to sites pushing translated Icelandic literature all the time.

Fire Of Zim
Baninated
Dec 25, 2005, 04:32 PM

Captain making a fool of himself, again. Why am I not surprised.

The eradication of racism is universally (except by racist rednecks like yourself) accepted as a goal for the Humanity. Converting to Christianism IS NOT.

Give us a break and shut up already.

Nick
Dec 25, 2005, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Fire Of Zim
Captain making a fool of himself, again. Why am I not surprised.

The eradication of racism is universally (except by racist rednecks like yourself) accepted as a goal for the Humanity. Converting to Christianism IS NOT.

Give us a break and shut up already.

Not only are they trying to convert people to Christianity, but they are making a mockery of the whole thing with all the cult/alien imagery.

Fire Of Zim
Baninated
Dec 25, 2005, 04:40 PM

What? I thought it was pro-Christian. This is my perception anyway!

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2005, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ratm
And to the person who posted the issue of ad clicks—he could easily be donating that money to charity.
That's a possibility but you'd see a sentence there somewhere saying it'll go to charity

isao bered
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 25, 2005, 04:58 PM

Rosa Parks is a public hero who helped reshape the way the world views human rights.
and the historical jesus was, uhm, what? perhaps apple should have had a manger scene "think different" advertisement this christmas day. ;-)

so apple uses a "public hero" to sell computers and all is okay. because everyone knows that macintosh is all back-of-the-bus and should be able to relate it's computer sales to the oppression of a people?

this thread has been great for a holiday season laugh. :-)

be well.

laeth

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2005, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Betts
That's a possibility but you'd see a sentence there somewhere saying it'll go to charity
Isn't MacUpdate not for profit anyway?

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2005, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by phillryu
Isn't MacUpdate not for profit anyway?

Huh?
http://www.macupdate.com/about.php

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2005, 05:50 PM

Captain Obvious, if you consider Rosa Parks to be controversial then please, do us all a favor and go back to the 1960s. I imagine you also took issue with Apple advertising for the Red Cross during the giant earthquake in Asia last year?

Not only do you not have a point, but you attempt to make it in the most boorish way possible. Please shut up before you embarrass yourself further.

macsfromnowon
Dec 25, 2005, 05:59 PM

Really: DON'T take it seriously.

Give MacUpdate until after the holidays to come back and discover the hack!

Do you think a MacNNer hacked it?

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2005, 06:00 PM

The point that CO (in his traditionally angry way) is trying to make is that web sites (and corporations) have every right to express their opinon, whether you like it or not.
Most of us liked Apple's show of support for the civil rights battle, with the pic of Rosa Parks. And now, macupdate likes to show their belief in the son of a god of some kind. That should be fine as well. Some people believe in that kind of stuff.

Nick
Dec 25, 2005, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Hugi
The point that CO (in his traditionally angry way) is trying to make is that web sites (and corporations) have every right to express their opinon, whether you like it or not.
Absolutely. And their readers have every right to stop coming back. Personally, I wouldn't mess with my livelihood by posting something so embarrassing and unprofessional and forcing it on everyone who visitis my domain.

jesusbristow
Dec 25, 2005, 06:23 PM

Absolutely. And their readers have every right to stop coming back. Personally, I wouldn't mess with my livelihood by posting something so embarrassing and unprofessional and forcing it on everyone who visitis my domain.
Exactly.

Here are my thoughts, on a Mac site willing to admit a bias at the domain name door:

http://www.macliberals.com/wordpress/?p=377

Ratm
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2005, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Betts

Do you see a sentence there that says that they won't ? It's better not speculate in the first place, don't you think.

Nick
Dec 25, 2005, 07:27 PM

If you hand money to someone, the assumption is it's going in their pocket, unless they say otherwise. I think that's very obvious.

Ratm
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2005, 07:33 PM

"Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, nonaddictive, gender neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of religious persuasion or secular practices of your choice with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all."

The Arstechnica forums are great! Unlike some places....Merry Christmas everyone!

DamnDJ
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 25, 2005, 08:05 PM

Thank you Nick for posting sense. This is bad business on MacUpdate's part. I've been a paid subscriber of that site for over 3 years now and I won't be giving them any future business. I will take my software needs to Version Tracker.

Shame on you MU, and goodbye.

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2005, 08:15 PM

Hear hear! God forbid folks should start believing things that other people don't believe!

I'll take MY business to The Neutral Planet™.

Nick
Dec 25, 2005, 08:30 PM

But what does a mac software site have to do with religon? People don't go there to hear about that sort of thing. People don't PAY them to have those things forced on them. This isn't just a tribute to Jesus (and that alone would be somewhat controversial) -- it's a very bizarre twist on Jesus and Christianity, and it's being forced on all their readers.

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2005, 08:46 PM

Fair enough. Vote with your money and just stop visiting MacUpdate, if you really hate the guy's religion that much. I'm far from being a christian, but I really don't care if the guy who runs MU is. I'm just grateful that he's providing me with daily free news of software.

Merry christmas!

Nick
Dec 25, 2005, 08:48 PM

No one hates his religon. They dislike him forcing it on them, not to mention the very unusual spin he has put on Jesus.

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2005, 08:56 PM

OK. Good night!

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 25, 2005, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by wataru
No one is saying he doesn't have a right to put up what he wants on his website. Some people just find it distasteful, and they'd prefer it if he didn't. Is that so hard to understand?
Oh I understand. By my point is, who cares about whiney people?
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
i think versiontracker just became my new site of choice.
This just shows what a zealot you are. that is all.
Originally Posted by isao bered
why does it seem that many love freedoms except when others exercise theirs?
You hit it right on the nail.
Originally Posted by IceEnclosure
like a bunch of old women sitting around a table bitching about nonsense. re-diculous.
Indeed,
Replacing your home page with any sort of cult advertisement (be it christian, gay, pro-choice, islamic, anti-abortion, whatever) is bad business.

Oh please nick. For you to even say such a thing shows how out of touch you are. Seriously. Go fix the forums or something.

Any pissy baby that would stop going to the site because of this, I would say good riddance.

Nick
Dec 25, 2005, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Seriously. Go fix the forums or something.
Well I'd love to, but tooki asked that i consult all the moderators before deleting any accounts.

Any pissy baby that would stop going to the site because of this, I would say good riddance.
Of course you would, because you agree with him.

Look -- i don't think many people would leave the site. But I'd never spam my own site with such unrelated nonesense. It just doesn't look good on him.

itistoday
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2005, 10:10 PM

Well I'd love to, but tooki asked that i consult all the moderators before deleting any accounts.
Pure ownage!

I'm surprised too with this development. Highly unprofessional indeed...

zizban
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 25, 2005, 10:30 PM

Mac Update has reverted back.
"In darkness there is strength, therefore strength is darkness."

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 25, 2005, 10:42 PM

Seriously, you went off the deep end into bizarroland with the Tom Cruise/Scientology comparison.

Nick
Dec 25, 2005, 11:01 PM

Seriously, you went off the deep end into bizarroland with the Tom Cruise/Scientology comparison.
Did you not see the picture with the aliens and the spaceship and steve jobs and the turtleneck and the ipod? Um, yeah...

If he had just talked about Jesus, I would not have made that specific comment.

Forum Links
Forum Rules