Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > port forwarding from linksys wrt54g for azureus

port forwarding from linksys wrt54g for azureus
brent0saurus
Dec 27, 2005, 02:06 PM

i'm trying to get Azureus running and i keep getting NAT errors. From my limited understanding, i need to forward ports from my router to my powerbook. The router i have is connected to a pc, and i am getting wireless internet from it. I have access to the router settings but everytime i try to forward ports to the ip address that i believe is my powerbook's, my powerbook's ip address changes...
here's what my settings are:
in system preferences>network>tcp/ip, i have the "configure IPv4" using dhcp.
under that it says IP ADDRESS: 192.168.15.105, but when i forward ports to that ip address, it changes to 101 or something. please help!

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2005, 04:13 PM

You're getting a new dynamic IP from you router because of DHCP. Usually routers start at xxx.xxx.x.101 and go up as devices are connected. In my experience, this only happens when you disconnect/re-connect a machine to the router. Perhaps because you're connecting wirelessly, you're getting disconnected when you change the settings on the router, and it's giving you a new IP.

You want to give you Mac a static IP, something out of the dynamic range (say, xxx.xxx.x.42, if the dynamic range starts at xxx.xxx.x.101).

Select "Configure IPv4 Manually" and enter your desired IP address. You'll also need fill out the "Subnet mask", "Router", and "DNS Servers" fields (the later two will be the IP of your router, and your router's configuration settings should have a page that tells you the subnet mask, which is usually 255.255.255.0).

Now, you should be able to forward ports to this new static IP.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 27, 2005, 04:24 PM

Just use the Basic Setup page of the router's configuration to set the client lease time to the maximum (5999), which is about 4 days. As long as you use the PowerBook regularly, you should always get the same IP address.

Or just use manual addressing.

That said: I have not needed to do any special setup to make Azureus work on my WRT54G. Are you sure you're running the latest firmware? I had trouble with earlier firmware versions' NAT, but the current one works quite well. Make sure uPNP is turned on, too.

tooki

brent0saurus  (op)
Dec 28, 2005, 01:06 AM

This is what has happened so far. I somehow managed to forward ports to my powerbook because when i put in port 6881 in the configuration wizard of azureus and tested it, it didn't give me an NAT error. There were a lot of steps involved and i'm really confused right now so this might not be clear but i made a static ip address on my pc (which is NOT running azureus) by right clicking my connection and going into properties or something...(i found a tutorial on how to do it) and all was going well because i had a static ip on the pc and was still getting internet (i was afraid that i would have completely screwed everything up and would not even be getting internet anymore). I also changed the network settings on my mac to configure ipv4 manually and typed in all the info of my router except for the ip address because if i typed the exact same ip address it would give me an error saying that it was already in use or something. so i typed in a slightly different ip address and i was getting internet and everything was working....until i tried to download from azureus. I realized that i still wasn't getting green faces and when trying to download i was actually getting red faces and could not download at all. (which i was able to do before all of this) i thought it was maybe the torrent so i tried one with more seeds and got the same results but every once in a while i would get a yellow face for a little while but it downloaded really slowly.
so as of now some of my torrents are seeding but they are blue faces, and the rest are gray. i've never had a green face.
so i don't know what to do.
i'm at my mom's house now but she has basically the same setup as my dad. i believe it's the same router and everything but she has dsl and my dad has cable (everything i previously mentioned was at my dad's. i have not tried doing anything at my moms yet) but right now at my mom's i have one torrent that's a yellow face and the other is red, and some of my torrents are seeding and some are not. when i test port 6881 i get nat error.
do you have any suggestions? i'm completely lost and i want this to work. oh, now both of my downloads are red faces....crap.

okay, well thanks in advance for any information you can give me! please let me know if that was confusing and i'll try to clear it up...i know that's just a long string of stuff but i don't know how else to put it...

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2005, 02:44 AM

How are the computers connected to the router? I was running with the assumption that the PC was connected to the router with an ethernet cable, and the Mac connected to the router wirelessly with its AirPort card. Is this right? Are you trying to resolve NAT errors in Azureus for both?

According to Linksys's downloadable PDF manual for your model, its IP is 192.168.1.1 and the subnet mask 255.255.255.0, same as my older Linksys router. The instructions I gave for setting a static IP for your Mac should have worked.

I've had no NAT errors with the wireless on my router... but then I've also had no problems setting up port forwarding.

I can't give any help on the Windows side of things, but you might want to have a look at the router manual yourself as it seems to have some configuration instructions for Window.
esdesign

brent0saurus  (op)
Dec 28, 2005, 09:49 AM

yes, you are correct. the pc is connected to the router through an ethernet cable and i am connected wirelessly. Yeah, i'm a little shakey with doing things on windows too, and i don't want to mess anything up. (my brother plays a lot of online games and when he can't play he gets realllllly cranky...ha.) I'll try giving my mac a static ip now. do i still need to forward ports now? i'll try and see what happens. i apologize if i'm asking stupid things. i'm so confused and lost... thank you for being so patient.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2005, 04:32 PM

Setting up a static IP won't do anything for you other than make it easier to forward ports, which was your original question. That's why I suggested it. If you still get NAT errors after that, then I dunno...
esdesign

Forum Links
Forum Rules