Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > will apple give me new ipod?

will apple give me new ipod?
brent0saurus
Jan 3, 2006, 12:36 AM

so my ipod has been skipping and freezing a lot lately. I called applecare and told them that i've already tried restoring/resetting and all of that and that it's still happening, so they told me that the only thing they can do now is send me a package to send them and replace the ipod with the same 60 gb color screen ipod (it's the ipod with a color screen when they discontinued ipod photos and ipods without the color screen). or at least i'm assuming it would be the same ipod. But i don't want to not have my ipod for that long and there is a local apple store that i can go to.
so these are my questions:

1. If they don't have my ipod in stock will they have to give me a 60 gb video ipod or send it out?

2. Is it likely that they will have my ipod in stock? (it's a small store in bridgewater nj...probably the smallest apple store i have ever been in)

i know that a simmilar situation has happened before. i was in the apple store and a kid had a 30 gb ipod photo but those were discontinued and they only had 40 gb ipod photos so they replaced his 30 gb with a 40 gb ipod photo. so he got 10 more gb for nothing. but i think he had to get a new apple care plan, which i wouldn't mind doing.

so i guess my dilemma is whether or not i should send in my ipod or bring it into the store.
thanks for any information you can give me!

volcano
Senior User
Jan 3, 2006, 04:15 AM

1. They'll send it out, unless the problem is clearly evident upon inspection by an employee at the Genius Bar. Since your problem doesn't seem easily recognizable, my bet is that they would send it out.

2. No. Once a new iPod is introduced, the rest of the "old" iPods are phased out of the store within a matter of days. When the Nano was introduced in September, within 3 days all traces of the iPod mini had vanished from my local Apple store.

brent0saurus  (op)
Jan 3, 2006, 10:30 AM

that's not fair now i can't have my ipod for a long time. and it wasn't my fault that it broke. i treat it like it's a baby and now it doesn't work and apple needs to take it away from me in order to fix it instead of just replacing it with an ipod they have on hand in store. sighhh
well thanks for your input.

wait, what do you mean by "unless the problem is clearly evident upon inspection by an employee at the Genius Bar."? if it is clearly evident then what will they do?

j0kr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2006, 08:59 PM

I had a 20 gig b & w and they gave me another one... a year after it was discontinued. It took my dad 4 tries with mailing it in ( they kept sending us the same iPod back saying there was nothing wrong with it) and about 6 hours on the phone before they upgraded us.

Masters1337
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2006, 09:06 PM

I bought my first 20 gig 4rd gen the day before they anounced the 4th gen. Anyway, it broke within a month(only sent audio to one earphone) and when apple replaced it, I got a second 3rd gen, with a big dark spot on the screen They still may have your 60 gig ipod color in stock.

volcano
Senior User
Jan 6, 2006, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by brent0saurus
wait, what do you mean by "unless the problem is clearly evident upon inspection by an employee at the Genius Bar."? if it is clearly evident then what will they do?
By saying "unless the problem is clearly evident..." I'm saying that the problem must be easily recognizable visually from a spectator's or inspector's standpoint. If they think that the problem "might" be internal and that it might be a short circuit, dying hard-drive, etc (basically anything internal), they will send it out for further inspection by Apple. Basically, if your screen still works fine but your hard-drive makes funny noises they'll send it out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules