Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Police arrests suspect in German train bombing attempt

Police arrests suspect in German train bombing attempt
TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2006, 09:57 AM

The police has now arrested one suspect in the train bombing attempt last month after publishing surveillance videos yesterday. Press-conference in 30 min.

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/inte...432321,00.html

Luckily the two bombs they planted did not explode.

OreoCookie
Aug 19, 2006, 11:30 AM

AFAIK there are a few additional twists to the story. The bombs were supposed to go off when the trains were relatively empty, although according to the police, the damage would have been comparable to that of the London subway bombings. Since Deutsche Bahn (German Railways) hasn't received any ransom demands, the Federal Police expects the attackers to have a terrorist background. Initial leads suggested ties to Lebanon.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

TETENAL  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2006, 11:41 AM

Well, the arrested suspect is Lebanese. The second suspect is on the run.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2006, 07:55 PM

For those NOT keeping score:

Another example of there being no global jihadist theory at work.
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

OreoCookie
Aug 19, 2006, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Well, the arrested suspect is Lebanese. The second suspect is on the run.
I hadn't read the article yet, before the arrest, there were just some starch bags imported from Lebanon.
@mojo
Yet another blunt remark that won't help us catch the bad guys.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2006, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
I hadn't read the article yet, before the arrest, there were just some starch bags imported from Lebanon.
@mojo
Yet another blunt remark that won't help us catch the bad guys.
Would you go so far as to say I was providing encouragement, support, aid or comfort to the bad guys?
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

OreoCookie
Aug 19, 2006, 08:43 PM

No, but your ignorance doesn't help to understand what's going on … think about it

mojo2
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2006, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
No, but your ignorance doesn't help to understand what's going on … think about it
YOU are calling ME ignorant???

OreoCookie, that is the ULTIMATE example of irony.

Why don't you explain it to me how my comment is ignorant?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2006, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by mojo2
For those NOT keeping score:

Another example of there being no global jihadist theory at work.
Gosh, I guess the smart thing to do would be to wait until they gather for their secret Global Jihadist meetings, and then hit it with a smart bomb...

...oh wait, there aren't any.

This isn't Global Communism, with flunkies in third world countries receiving explicit orders, bargains, and threats from Moscow. These are distinct groups, albeit with some similarities, that all hate us for their own reasons. There are no secret machinations aimed at running the whole map red. Get a grip.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

mojo2
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2006, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey
Gosh, I guess the smart thing to do would be to wait until they gather for their secret Global Jihadist meetings, and then hit it with a smart bomb...

...oh wait, there aren't any.

This isn't Global Communism, with flunkies in third world countries receiving explicit orders, bargains, and threats from Moscow. These are distinct groups, albeit with some similarities, that all hate us for their own reasons. There are no secret machinations aimed at running the whole map red. Get a grip.
Everyone sees through this.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2006, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by mojo2
Everyone sees through this.
I guess I got your synapses firing, eh?

TETENAL  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2006, 09:20 AM

Turns out the brother of the suspect was killed in Lebanon by an Israeli anti-Hezbollah raid. The suspect regularly visited a mosque in Hamburg which German intelligence agencies consider a Hezbollah meeting-point, even though he is Sunni himself.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Aug 20, 2006, 09:32 AM

I suppose this bombing attempt is all hitlerbush imperialistic amerikaz fault.
As usual.
All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2006, 01:00 PM

Turns out the brother of the suspect was killed in Lebanon by an Israeli anti-Hezbollah raid. The suspect regularly visited a mosque in Hamburg which German intelligence agencies consider a Hezbollah meeting-point, even though he is Sunni himself.
OMG I knew it!!!!! It was the Al Qaeda-led Global Jihadist Conspiracy all along!!!!! You were right, abe!!!! </sarcasm>

badidea
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2006, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Sky Captain
I suppose this bombing attempt is all hitlerbush imperialistic amerikaz fault.
As usual.
Do you really think HitlerBush would go that far??

TETENAL  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2006, 08:58 AM

The second suspect has been arrested in Lebanon after he surrendered to the police.

Failed Train Attack: Second German Terror Suspect Arrested in Lebanon - International - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News
( Last edited by TETENAL; Aug 24, 2006 at 09:16 AM. )

mojo2
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2006, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey
OMG I knew it!!!!! It was the Al Qaeda-led Global Jihadist Conspiracy all along!!!!! You were right, abe!!!! </sarcasm>
Here's a week's worth of sarcasm material for you.

" The List " of Islamic Terror Attacks For the Past Week
Date Country City Killed Injured Description
8/23/06 Iraq Baqubah 14 0 Fourteen victims of sectarian violence are found here and in Latifiya.
8/23/06 Thailand Narathiwat 1 0 A schoolteacher is gunned down by Muslim militants as he is on his way to teach.
8/23/06 Iraq Mosul 1 11 A suicidal Sunni kills a woman with explosives.
8/22/06 Afghanistan Kandahar 2 3 A young girl and a Canadian soldier are murdered by a Fedayeen suicide bomber.
8/22/06 Iraq Baqubah 7 0 Islamic militants bomb a market, killing seven people.
8/22/06 Iraq Baghdad 7 1 Seven civilians in a house are mowed down by Muslim gunmen.
8/21/06 India Baramulla 1 0 The Mujahideen gun down a man near his house.
8/21/06 Thailand Narathiwat 1 0 A man is murdered by Muslim terrorists in his living room.
8/21/06 Thailand Yala 3 0 Three Buddhist civilians are gunned down in an orchard by Islamic radicals.
8/20/06 Iraq Baqubah 6 0 Six Iraqis, including two brothers, are gunned down by Islamic militants.
8/20/06 Ingushetia Alkhasty 2 0 Islamic militants are suspected in two nighttime attacks on police officers in their homes. One was set on fire in front of his family.
8/20/06 Iraq Baghdad 20 302 Sunni snipers take down sixteen Shia pilgrims taking part in a religious festival.
8/20/06 Thailand Pattani 1 1 Muslim gunmen fire into a truck loaded with laborers, killing one.
8/20/06 Afghanistan Panjwai 5 11 The Taliban attack a police post, killing at least five Afghans.
8/20/06 Iraq Jurf al-Sakhar 2 0 Two civilians are brutally killed by Islamic terrorists.
8/20/06 Afghanistan Helmand 3 0 Three policemen are killed by a Taliban remote-controlled bomb.
8/19/06 Israel Bekaot 1 0 An Israeli is killed by a Fatah gunman in the West Bank.
8/19/06 Iraq Baqubah 12 0 A dozen farmers, university professors and students are gunned down by sectarian radicals.
8/19/06 Afghanistan Paktika 1 0 A man is murdered by the Taliban.
8/19/06 Thailand Narathiwat 1 0 Radical Islamists shoot a plantation worker as he is riding a motorcycle to his job.
8/19/06 Thailand Yala 1 0 Islamic terrorists shoot a man to death on a city street.
8/19/06 Algeria Telagh 2 1 Fundamentalists slit the throats of two victims, then place a bomb under the bodies to kill civil workers.
8/19/06 Egypt Cairo 1 0 A Christian cobbler is stabbed to death by an angry Muslim.
8/18/06 Thailand Narathiwat 1 0 A 58-year-old man is murdered in front of his house by militant Muslims.
8/18/06 Iraq Baghdad 7 0 Seven Shiite pilgrims are gunned down by Sunni terrorists while en route to a religious ceremony.
8/17/06 Thailand Pattani 2 0 Two men are shot off their motorbikes by Muslim terrorists in separate attacks.
8/17/06 Iraq Baghdad 3 28 Sunnis use a car bomb to kill three Shia civilians.
8/17/06 Iraq Baqubah 9 0 Three brothers are among nine people assassinated by Islamic radicals.
8/17/06 Iraq Suwayra 6 0 Six victims of sectarian violence are fished out of a river, blindfolded and showing signs of torture..
8/17/06 Iraq Daquq 2 1 A bomb blast ends the lives of two civilians.
8/17/06 India Wutligam 1 0 A civilian is shot to death by the Mujahideen.
8/17/06 India Srinagar 3 2 Three policemen are killed in separate attacks.
8/17/06 India Budgam 1 0 In a gruesome attack, militant Muslims kidnap a craftsman and then cut off his head.
8/16/06 Iraq Baghdad 8 28 Religious radicals set off a bomb at a flea market, killing eight shoppers.
8/16/06 Ingushetia Nazran 1 1 A Russian is killed when Islamic separatists attack his vehicle with automatic weapons.
8/16/06 Iraq Baghdad 13 43 Jihadis massacre thirteen innocents with a twin bomb attack in a commercial district.
8/16/06 Iraq Muqdadiya 7 20 A female suicide bomber kills seven innocents at a bus station.
8/16/06 Afghanistan Ghazni 1 1 The Taliban murder a police officer.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2006, 09:52 AM

Good thing their bombs didnt' explode.

Perhaps why some people are so willing to jump on mojo's statements is because there is an element of truth they don't want to admit in them?

Sky Captain said it in a sarcastic manner, but let me put this idea out in a rather straight up manner:

I thought if we were really nice to the terrorists, and we pulled out of Iraq, that we wouldn't be as at risk? Isn't Germany one of the nations we are supposed to be imitating the behavior of? So how come they have terrorists in their midst?
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

TETENAL  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2006, 10:04 AM

Germany is not not in Iraq because they "want to be nice to the terrorists". Germany is not in Iraq, because they believed that the Iraq-war is unjustified and unnecessary. Note that there are German troops in Afghanistan currently, because the country believes that was a necessary mean to oppose terrorism.

I think we have to wait for the results of the police interrogation to know what was the motivation for these two guys actually was.
( Last edited by TETENAL; Aug 24, 2006 at 10:44 AM. )

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2006, 10:15 AM

Germany is not not in Iraq because they "want to be nice to the terrorists". Germany is not in Iraq, because they believed that the Iraq-war is unjustified and unnecessary. Note that there are German troops in Afghanistan currently, because the country believes that was a necessary mean to oppose terrorism.
I realize they aren't in Iraq and why. But my point was that if it was an a planned attack on the US or UK, how many people would jump on the "it's because of Iraq" bandwagon?

I'm simply putting forth the theory that simply not being involved in Iraq does not make a country "safe" or "safer" from terrorism.

I think we have to wait for the results of the police interrogation to know what was the motivation for these to guys actually was.
I totally agree that we should wait before we draw conclusions. Not just in this case, either.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2006, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom
I'm simply putting forth the theory that simply not being involved in Iraq does not make a country "safe" or "safer" from terrorism.
There is no real protection against a crazed asshole.

Forum Links
Forum Rules