Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > macbook compatible with dvi lcd's?

macbook compatible with dvi lcd's?
saosin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2006, 02:39 AM

Hello all, this is my first post.

I'm debating between a macbook pro and a macbook with an external monitor. The macbook with an external monitor would probably be the best choice since i'm a student, this allows me portability, and the external monitor allows me a larger screen when im away from school.

My question then is, i plan to get this montior: Small Business: UltraSharp 2407WFP 24-inch Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor with Height Adjustable Stand

which uses dvi to connect. I know that the macbook only has a mini dvi, wheras the mbp has dvi.

Is it possible to use this monitor with the macbook? Are there some type of mini dvi to dvi converters? And if it does work, will there be any noticeable slowdown in performance due to the massive size and demands of the larger monitor and resolution?

thanks in advance

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2006, 06:52 AM

Yes you can connect it with an adapter.

I don't really think you'll notice a slowdown. That's the highest resolution that the GMA can drive though.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 3, 2006, 04:39 PM

I've tried a friend's new MacBook with my Dell 2405 (just the old version of the one you want) and it ran great with it, both with both screens active as well as in clamshell mode with only the 24" running.

tooki

saosin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2006, 05:53 PM

cool...so even though its the max resolution that the gma can support, there will be no slowdown? Anyone have experience using this combo (macbook and exat monitor)

And also...any reccomendations on an adaptor...or is an adaptor just an adaptor?

thanks again for your responses

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2006, 06:40 PM

I don't know of anyone but Apple who makes that adapter. Search for Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter on the Apple store. It's 20 bucks.

saosin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2006, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad
I don't know of anyone but Apple who makes that adapter. Search for Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter on the Apple store. It's 20 bucks.
with the adaptor would it have the same qualtiy as say a mbp connected to an external monitor because the mbp already has a dvi output built in wheras if i go with the macbook i'd be using an adaptor..

thanks

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2006, 07:35 PM

They're the exact same thing, just the MacBook has a differently shaped port to facilitate the size. The quality will be identical.

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2006, 02:47 AM

i just puracehsd the same monitor, except mine is a gateway monitor. im using it for school as well. Im using a DVI connector as well, my question is how do i adjust the resolution of the monitor while i have both operating.."non clam shell mode"?

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2006, 10:38 AM

Open the System Preferences (under the apple menu), and click on Displays.

Forum Links
Forum Rules