Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Popped my G5 firewire bus

Popped my G5 firewire bus
cms
Senior User
Sep 16, 2006, 07:03 AM

The other day, I connected an external firewire drive to the front firewire 400 port on my G5 dual 2.0 GHz as I have done a zillion times before. There was an audible pop, and the whole system shut down. I waited a couple of minutes, and then restarted, got all the way to log in, but kernel panicked as the desktop (and connected firewire devices) came up. So, shut down completely, removed all firewire devices, 800 and 400, from the computer, and powered it up again. All hunky dory, no issues, steady as a rock.

Checked in System profiler, and it showed the firewire bus as still viable. So, connected one device on the 800 port, and yet another kernel panic. Obviously, the firewire bus was blown and unusable. Bit of a problem as I have 3 external drives, DVD burner, EyeTV, etc., permanently connected and can't function without them. According to my friendly local Apple repair centre, I needed a new logic board to restore the original bus -- system more than 2 years old and no AppleCare, so huge cost; not an option just now.

Instead, I bought a Sonnet FW800 PCI card and a couple of firewire 800-400 adaptor cables for about £100. It arrived within 24 hours, and 20 minutes later, all my drives and other bits of gear were all connected up and running perfectly once more.

According to the Apple repair centre I use, it's a common problem on the G5s. Having it blow on my own system was the first I'd ever heard of it! Just wondered if anyone else here has had a similar experience.

CanadaRAM
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2006, 03:25 PM

Absolutely: You can blow both the Mac motherboard and the device you are plugging in - painful whan its a $1000 camcorder (ask me how I know this).

NEVER plug or unplug Firewire with the machine or the device powered on. Its way too easy to put the FW plug in cockeyed or backwards and momentarily short the power leads to the data leads. Yeah, I know it's advertised as hot pluggable... do at your own risk.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2006, 03:28 PM

Yeah, that's true with FW400. FW800 is supposed to have fixed that by making the connector much harder to put in backwards, though.

Incidentally, problems like this (and the ability to solve them with a cheap PCI card) are why the idea of a headless tower is appealing to users (see the "missing prosumer mac" thread).

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules