Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 3 questions on OS 9 & Explorer

3 questions on OS 9 & Explorer
nyarlaho
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2002, 01:48 PM

* What is the most stable OS 9 version? 9.2.2 ?

* What is the easiest way to get rid of unnecessary system extensions? I would like to lessen to load that all the system extensions put on my processor. The system is taking up between 70 and 80 MB of my memory at the moment--that's no good.

* Is it possible to configure Internet Explorer in such a way that the toolbars are collapsed (command + B) automotically at start up?

Thanks a lot for any help,

nyarlaho

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2002, 11:08 AM

Hmm, if you system doesn't need certain extensions I believe it doesn't load them. Although there may be some like printer drivers that still get loaded...should be safe to disable them (either with the Extensions Manager or manually moving them to the 'Extensions (disabled)' folder).

babble
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2002, 09:44 AM

Quick answer for your IE question :

Yes, simply go under "view" in the tool bar and remove everything you don't want to see...

Cipher13
Jun 30, 2002, 11:28 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by bradoesch:
<strong>Hmm, if you system doesn't need certain extensions I believe it doesn't load them. Although there may be some like printer drivers that still get loaded...should be safe to disable them (either with the Extensions Manager or manually moving them to the 'Extensions (disabled)' folder).</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">It loads them all, bar a few well written ones (that check a gestalt, or whatever, to see if they're necessary).

The best way is to know what does what, and delete what you don't need. If you IM me, I can help you with that.

OS 9.1 CD install is the best; if you can't get that, 9.04 is the best. Do NOT use the 9.1 update from 9.04. If your system came with 9.21, or 9.22, use that. If not, as above.

George Orville
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2002, 01:39 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by nyarlaho:
<strong>* What is the most stable OS 9 version? 9.2.2 ?

* What is the easiest way to get rid of unnecessary system extensions? I would like to lessen to load that all the system extensions put on my processor. The system is taking up between 70 and 80 MB of my memory at the moment--that's no good.

Thanks a lot for any help,

nyarlaho</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Extension Overload should give you the info you need to make a decision.......

Find it
<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/cmteng/download/eo596.hqx" target="_blank">here</a>

bigbiker
bigbiker

nyarlaho  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2002, 07:08 PM

* I will definitely try the program Extension Overload.

* Someone wrote about my IE question, "simply go under "view" in the tool bar and remove everything you don't want to see...".

Close, but no sigar, because when you COLLAPSE the toolbar, there appear four little BACK, FORWARD, STOP, RELOAD knobs on the top of the bar of the left (also called 'explorer bar'). And I want to keep those. I guess I just have to press cmd-B every time I open a new window.

Thanks a bunch, guys 'n gals

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2002, 01:12 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Cipher13:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by bradoesch:
<strong>Hmm, if you system doesn't need certain extensions I believe it doesn't load them. Although there may be some like printer drivers that still get loaded...should be safe to disable them (either with the Extensions Manager or manually moving them to the 'Extensions (disabled)' folder).</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">It loads them all, bar a few well written ones (that check a gestalt, or whatever, to see if they're necessary).

The best way is to know what does what, and delete what you don't need. If you IM me, I can help you with that.

OS 9.1 CD install is the best; if you can't get that, 9.04 is the best. Do NOT use the 9.1 update from 9.04. If your system came with 9.21, or 9.22, use that. If not, as above.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I don't understand. There are drivers in my extensions folder for the Radeon card and other thing that I don't have. Why would they load if there's nothing for them to do?

Cipher13
Jul 6, 2002, 07:35 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by bradoesch:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Cipher13:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by bradoesch:

OS 9.1 CD install is the best; if you can't get that, 9.04 is the best. Do NOT use the 9.1 update from 9.04. If your system came with 9.21, or 9.22, use that. If not, as above.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I don't understand. There are drivers in my extensions folder for the Radeon card and other thing that I don't have. Why would they load if there's nothing for them to do?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">If every extension checked at startup whether it was needed, it'd take forever to boot; not to mention some couldn't do it.

If they're in the System Folder, generally, they load. If you don't use them, ditch them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules