Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > problems with colors and refresh rate

problems with colors and refresh rate
lizzle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2006, 11:41 AM

Hello, all!

I have just switched from PC to Mac and until this morning everything ran smoothly. For some reason my screen started displaying the everything in what appears to be 16bit? (It's not as vivid as before and there's a bunch of shading that looks like it was done with a pen or something - lots of black) and I am also unable to select a refresh rate (it's dimmed). I have tried using safe mode, but that didn't work.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this and why it's happening?

Thanks much!

ibook_steve
Nov 8, 2006, 03:06 PM

Go to Displays in the System Preferences application and make sure Millions is selected in Colors. As for refresh rate, that only applies to external displays. You can't select it on the internal because it's fixed.

Steve

lizzle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2006, 03:18 PM

Hi, ibook_steve! Thanks for replying.

If I remember correctly, Millions was selected in Colors. I do have my mbp attached to an external monitor and saw the refresh rate at 60. Is that the problem?

If I reinstalled OSX would this problem be solved?

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Go to Displays in the System Preferences application and make sure Millions is selected in Colors. As for refresh rate, that only applies to external displays. You can't select it on the internal because it's fixed.

Steve

chrismear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2006, 03:41 PM

Can you describe your setup in more detail? Do you always have the MacBook plugged into the external display? Do you have both displays on at the same time, or just the external display? Are you using video spanning or video mirroring? Which screen are you seeing the problem with -- the built-in display, the external display, or both?

Have you tried basic things like restarting your Mac, or clicking the 'Detect displays' button?

Also, if you could take a photo of the problem, that'd be a huge help in diagnosing it.

lizzle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2006, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by chrismear View Post
Can you describe your setup in more detail? Do you always have the MacBook plugged into the external display? Do you have both displays on at the same time, or just the external display? Are you using video spanning or video mirroring? Which screen are you seeing the problem with -- the built-in display, the external display, or both?

Have you tried basic things like restarting your Mac, or clicking the 'Detect displays' button?

Also, if you could take a photo of the problem, that'd be a huge help in diagnosing it.
Oh, wonderful! I'll take photos tonight.

My mbp is connected to a 19" LG widescreen monitor (L194WT) - DVI to VGA (I wonder if there will be a noticeable difference?). They are on at the same time and I am using video spanning. I see the problem with both of the displays. I have tried regularly restarting, restarting in safe mode, and I do believe I've tried clicking the "Detect Displays" button. I'll try these things again tonight, though.

Thanks much!

lizzle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2006, 11:33 AM

Thanks for your help, guys!

I just reinstalled OSX and everything is fine. I needed to do a clean install anyway

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 9, 2006, 12:12 PM

I'd be willing to bet that you could have fixed the problem by going to System Preferences -> Universal Access and returning the "Enhance Contrast" slider to normal. It most likely got moved by accidentally pressing the command-option-^ key combination.

It's also possible (though less likely) that an improper ColorSync profile got selected.

One of the things that Windows users need to get of the habit of doing is reinstalling the OS at the drop of a hat. It's really not necessary on Macs to fix the vast majority of problems.

tooki

lizzle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2006, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
I'd be willing to bet that you could have fixed the problem by going to System Preferences -> Universal Access and returning the "Enhance Contrast" slider to normal. It most likely got moved by accidentally pressing the command-option-^ key combination.

It's also possible (though less likely) that an improper ColorSync profile got selected.

One of the things that Windows users need to get of the habit of doing is reinstalling the OS at the drop of a hat. It's really not necessary on Macs to fix the vast majority of problems.

tooki

Ah, okay. Thanks much! There is quite a lot I need to learn . I'm really surprised at how much "easier" things are with macs. Especially the whole dragging an app to the trash bin to uninstall. Haha. How convenient!

Do you happen to know of a place that has an organized list of basic tips and applications switchers should know of? I've been bookmarking places here and there, but would much rather be able to visit a single page.

chrismear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2006, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
Wow, good catch! Now that you mention it, that does fit the description of the problem perfectly.

Originally Posted by lizzle View Post
Do you happen to know of a place that has an organized list of basic tips and applications switchers should know of? I've been bookmarking places here and there, but would much rather be able to visit a single page.
Apple has a pretty good Switch 101 mini-site on their Support site. A lot of it is quite basic, but there's some good info in there, and it's tailored for people who are coming to the Mac from Windows.

Forum Links
Forum Rules