Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > New tabs ONLY in Safari

New tabs ONLY in Safari
urmyuk1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2006, 11:13 AM

im wondering is it possible to change any defaults of 'open in new Window' to 'open in new tab' so i only ever have 1 window with multiple tabs??

i have turned on tab browsing and 'Open links from applications in a new tab in the current window' but this does not stop new windows..

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2006, 11:32 AM

You have the right settings. I'd recommend changing those settings, saving the preferences, and the then resetting them.

Chris

urmyuk1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2006, 12:23 PM

still the same

ie; clicking the Orange ad at the top of this page opens a new window not a new tab..

is it the same for you ??

chrismear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2006, 01:04 PM

The setting in preferences is just for links that are coming in from other applications (like when you click on a link in an email in Mail).

When you click on links in webpages that are set up to open a new window (i.e. using the 'target' attribute), they will always open a new window in Safari.

Firefox 2 introduced a new feature where it opens these kinds of links in a new tab instead of a new window. I think that would give you the behaviour you're looking for. But as far as I know, the current version of Safari won't do this for you.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2006, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by urmyuk1 View Post
still the same

ie; clicking the Orange ad at the top of this page opens a new window not a new tab..

is it the same for you ??
Chrismear is right. The Safari preferences set the default behavior. The link at the top of this page opens in a new window because it's coded to override the default behavior. You can force links like that to open in tabs by holding down the command key when you click. That's what I do.

Chris

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2006, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
Chrismear is right. The Safari preferences set the default behavior. The link at the top of this page opens in a new window because it's coded to override the default behavior. You can force links like that to open in tabs by holding down the command key when you click. That's what I do.

Chris
With Safari though some links will still open in a new window when you do this. Links in Gmail are an example that always open in a new window. Firefox gets it right though so perhaps a bug should be raised for it.

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Nov 12, 2006, 05:40 PM

The implementation in Firefox is quite buggy. When you click a link to, let's say, a contact form that's supposed to open in a new small window, it is opened in a new tab instead and then Firefox resizes the entire browser window to the size specified by the contact form. It's extremely annoying.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2006, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Tsilou B. View Post
The implementation in Firefox is quite buggy. When you click a link to, let's say, a contact form that's supposed to open in a new small window, it is opened in a new tab instead and then Firefox resizes the entire browser window to the size specified by the contact form. It's extremely annoying.
I have never seen that behavior. As far as I know (and have seen in actual use), the intended behavior is to open a new tab for all links targeting "new," unless the link specifies a window size, in which case it gets a new window. And that is of course override-able in the prefs.

Salty
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2006, 07:05 PM

For the most part if you hold command/apple key while clicking something it wont' open in a new window

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2006, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by WJMoore View Post
Links in Gmail are an example that always open in a new window.
Those aren't links in the normal sense. When you use GMail you are not really on a web page, you are running a web application.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2006, 09:56 PM

You can use SafariStand (free) to force windows that want to open in a new window to instead open in a new tab.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2006, 04:15 AM

Indeed, or if you want to be really pimpin: Get SAFT:
Pimp My Safari

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Nov 13, 2006, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by wataru View Post
I have never seen that behavior. As far as I know (and have seen in actual use), the intended behavior is to open a new tab for all links targeting "new," unless the link specifies a window size, in which case it gets a new window. And that is of course override-able in the prefs.
It may be true that if the link itself specifies a window size, Firefox will open it in a new window. But many sites simply open a new window and the new window itself then specifies a window size with Javascript. Of course, this may be considered in bug in the page, but nevertheless, it's extremely annoying and it happened to me several times while I was trying to use Firefox with this setting.

chrismear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2006, 09:58 AM

But many sites simply open a new window and the new window itself then specifies a window size with Javascript. Of course, this may be considered in bug in the page, but nevertheless, it's extremely annoying and it happened to me several times while I was trying to use Firefox with this setting.
In Firefox Preferences, under Content > Enable JavaScript > Advanced..., there's a checkbox that says "Allow scripts to: Move or resize existing windows", which I believe is ticked by default. If you untick this, it should prevent that specific behaviour.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2006, 10:28 AM

It may be true that if the link itself specifies a window size, Firefox will open it in a new window. But many sites simply open a new window and the new window itself then specifies a window size with Javascript. Of course, this may be considered in bug in the page, but nevertheless, it's extremely annoying and it happened to me several times while I was trying to use Firefox with this setting.
You're right. I just realized I always turn off that JavaScript behavior, but it certainly is enabled by default. Point well taken then.

urmyuk1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2006, 05:34 PM

how do i install Safristand ???

sorry i noob

Forum Links
Forum Rules