Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Making Appleworks 6 open MS Wrd files.

Making Appleworks 6 open MS Wrd files.
V Roller
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2001, 06:29 PM

Appleworks is supposed to be able to open and display MS Word files, but I haven't been able to do it. What hoops am I expected to jump through in order to do this?

posthumanus
Senior User
Jan 12, 2002, 10:57 AM

this is just my best guess but:

in your system folder/application support/appleworks you should find a folder called translators with about 23 extensions that should go in your extensions folder.

try moving 'em over, and maybe restart *.

let me know how you go. i might try it myself (so far i've been using Office2001 if i have to open that sort of stuff).

posthumanus.
http://www.info.apple.com/usen/appleworks/

* on second thought, maybe don't try this: i only got this idea 'cause double-clicking on individual translators says they belong in the extensions folder. but my appleworks opens and converts MS files with the translators staying where they are.

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: posthumanus ]

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2002, 01:02 AM

I'm using AppleWorks 6.2.2 and Office X, and it works for me. I choose all available files from the file format box, double click the file I want and, presto!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2002, 01:27 AM

You should be able to do it with most older docments, however, MacLink is a MUST.

Forum Links
Forum Rules