Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Front Row and Apple Remote don't work

Front Row and Apple Remote don't work
saosin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2006, 07:57 PM

Hi all, i've tried to solve this problem myself but i'm getting really frustrated.

I just got my macbook pro about 2 weeks ago, and I am finally now getting around to trying out front row and the apple remote.

Mac's just work right? Apparently not...

All the help files say in order to use front row i simply press the "menu" button on my front row remote, but this does not work. Neither does the Command+Esc keyboard shortcut.

I even went to my install disc and reinstalled front row but still nothing happens. And when i downloaded the front row update from apple's website it wont let me install it saying that my computer needs an infrared device, when i CLAERLY see the infrared dot next to my latch release.

Furthermore, I looked into help files on apple's site and it said to enable infrared, I have to uncheck "disable infrared" in preferences->Security, but in my security menu there is no option for that!!

What's going on!! I just want front row and my remote to work, anyone who could help I'd greatly appreciate it!!

OreoCookie
Dec 25, 2006, 08:28 PM

Please don't use flashy titles.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2006, 08:42 PM

The title isn't "flashy" afaict.

Click the Apple in the top left of the menubar and select the first command "About this Mac". In the about dialog click the "More Info" button. Now in "System Profiler" click on "USB" in the table on the left. It should now list "IR-receiver" amongst other things. If it doesn't, then yours is broken and you need to bring your Mac to repair.

saosin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2006, 08:44 PM

hmm...

I did what you said tetenal and indeed i do not see IR-Receiver....this sucks I have to get my macbook repaired already? My 14day return period just ended 3 days ago as well...

How do i go about getting this fixed? Can i just bring it to an apple store? Or Am i going to have to shipout my computer (something i'd rather not do)...

Thanks

OreoCookie
Dec 25, 2006, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
The title isn't "flashy" afaict.
It isn't, because I've edited out the noise already.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

saosin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2006, 09:18 PM

i just realized something. Even if the IR receiver were to be broken, Shouldn't front row still launch when i press cmd+esc (this isn't working for me).

Any other suggestsions??? I foudn that my remote is working by opening up photobootha dn pointing the remote at it, when pressing a button i see a blinking light...

I still think this is some type of software issue and really hope its not my infrared port...please help...thank you

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2006, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by saosin View Post
Can i just bring it to an apple store?
Yes, if you have an Apple store near by, bring it there.

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2006, 11:48 PM

I would suggest calling ahead and making an appointment at the Apple Store (I think you can also make an appointment online). They should be able to troubleshoot with you further.
Change your world and you will change your mind.

saosin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2006, 12:15 AM

yea I'm going to find some time to bring my computer in this week, hopefully everything gets fixed without me having to send my computer to a factory...

if anyone has any solutions please post em, thanks!

jlftrsh
Dec 26, 2006, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by saosin View Post
yea I'm going to find some time to bring my computer in this week, hopefully everything gets fixed without me having to send my computer to a factory...

if anyone has any solutions please post em, thanks!
My IR remote/Front Row "disappeared" from my iMac G5 a while back with very similar symptoms. The IR no longer showed up in system profiler. I got it working again by resetting the PRAM as follows:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

Hope this works for you.

saosin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2006, 08:53 PM

thanks for the idea, but I already tried resetting my PRAM yesterday and that didn't seem to fix anything...

If anyone else has had this problem and fixed theirs please let me know of any solutions! thanks...I will be bringing this computer in tomorrow to get it looked at by one of these "geniuses"

saosin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2006, 11:10 PM

Okay, so I brought my computer in today to the apple "genius."

I really think that those guys are not qualified to be troubleshooting computers.

I told the guy about my problem, so he goes and tests my remote out on another computer in the store, and of course as I expected, it works.

Then he keeps hitting cmd+esc expecting front row to work, and then concludes that it's a problem with front row.

So I say to him, will front row still launch using cmd+esc even when the infrared port isn't working? He says yes...But i searched online and found that it won't. Furthermore, I've tried installing an update for frontrow in which it tells my my computer isn't compatible and closes out.

I then tell him how under "about this mac" there is no infrared port under "USB" column. He simply ignores what i say and continues to act like he's doing something.

Then he tells me to reinstall my OS claiming that that will be the solution.

So I got home and reinstalled Tiger, and low and behold, still my front row does not launch and infrared is not listed under USB devices.

Now It looks like I have to bring the computer back in...what will this "Genius" tell me to do this time, they haven't a clue.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2006, 11:45 PM

It's not up to you to do something. Apple needs to provide you with a fully functional computer which they failed. It's still under warranty, so they have to fix it.

saosin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2006, 11:50 PM

yea, i felt liek this apple genius expected me to do all the work, with him telling me i have to go home and reinstall mac os, and that should fix it...when clearly it didn't fix a thing...

how long would a repair on the infrared take would you guys think?

School goes back into session next week and I can't afford to be without a computer for long...ahhhh i wish this would just work so it can stop bothering me!!

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2006, 11:54 PM

is the remote paired with your macbook pro?

-r.

saosin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2006, 04:04 AM

I cannot even pair the device because the infrared receiver doesn't work.

I just made another appointment with the genius bar...

Do you guys think they'd take an exchange even though my 14 day return period just ended on the 22nd?

This is really frustrating to have my 2thousand dollar computer not even function as it should and not be able to exchange it for a new one........

tpitale
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2007, 11:11 PM

I am having the same problem now. The difference is "about this mac" USB section shows "ir receiver programmer"...though I'm not sure what that is and have been unable to locate any info on it.

Please post any details, solutions that you come across. I may just have to go see a local "genius" soon. I am certainly going to call 18002752273 tomorrow.

tpitale
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2007, 12:33 AM

FIXED!

At least temporarily, only time will tell. I followed a reset procedure (SMC reset) by shutting down the computer, removing the battery (and unplugging the power) and holding the the power button for 10 seconds. Apple document here (at the bottom of the page): Resetting MacBook and MacBook Pro System Management Controller (SMC)

Hope that helps!

dbo0odb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2007, 11:17 PM

Tried all that on my end.. Running a brand new MacBook Pro 6 hours old.. and the same problem.. Does anyone have an update on this.. I guess I will call in the morning and see what the support desk tells me... I am getting quite tired of mac these days, pretty much all my friends who just $$ them all have big glitches...

dbo0odb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2007, 10:47 AM

well, this ends me recomending mac to anyone... tech support told me that my IR port is not being detected!? oh.. thanks! but for some reason I was sure that's why I was calling. They told me to deal with the retailer... thanks Apple, you demonstrate great customer service!!!! Anyway... I would suggest that anyone buying a new machine should get it at a store with a 30 day money back type deal... I know of 4 people to who I recomended a mac and 3 of them recieved duds!! And Hitler.. I mean Apple busted everyone's balls... exept my brother who was smart a got his from FutureShop! Returned it and his used G4 rocks! someone is not paying attention to their quality of work.. plus.. Techsupport denies that the this problems exists, they told me it's the first they hear of it! I tried to give them the many finds I found accross the net.. but hey....

tpitale
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2007, 05:16 AM

The reset has worked permanently for me. Without calling Apple.

Forum Links
Forum Rules