Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Shipping Time

Shipping Time
Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2001, 11:56 AM

I just purchased a CD-RW/DVD iBook through the apple store, and was kind of getting impatient at looking at my unchanging Order Status. Because I got a free printer, and that already shipped, I have know idea if they're still putting it together or if it's been left under a table, etc. I ordered it a week ago, and I was wondering if anyone else had ordered an iBook recently and could fill me in on how long it took them to at least ship it. I would kind of like to have it before I go back to school in 2 weeks.

Thanks,
F-bacher

ussfolsom
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2001, 01:06 PM

Not quite the same, but might help- I ordered my CD model iBook last Sunday from Outpost.com who didn't have any in stock. It shipped on Thursday. I would think direct from Apple would be even faster, but I wanted the free RAM and didn't want to pay for the tax . For reference, all models were on backorder when I ordered mine and when it shipped Outpost.com listed the CD model as in stock, the Combo model as 1-2 days and the DVD model still on backorder.

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2001, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by ussfolsom:
<STRONG>Not quite the same, but might help- I ordered my CD model iBook last Sunday from Outpost.com who didn't have any in stock. It shipped on Thursday. I would think direct from Apple would be even faster, but I wanted the free RAM and didn't want to pay for the tax . For reference, all models were on backorder when I ordered mine and when it shipped Outpost.com listed the CD model as in stock, the Combo model as 1-2 days and the DVD model still on backorder.</STRONG>
Darn, I should have bought it from them... bah.

F-bacher

whodisbe
Aug 4, 2001, 05:57 PM

well, I ordered an ibook dvd/256/airport from the apple store, and it took 2 weeks for them to assemble, and I got it 3 weeks from date of order.

My room mate ordered an ibook combo/256/airport and he got it a little over one month from placing his order. So, chances are you won't get it before you leave for school, but who knows, the Mac Gods may smile on you.

iBook Tom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2001, 01:10 AM

My iBook 20GB/256K/combo drive/airport card/extra battery was ordered from Apple at the beginning of July. 20 days was quoted, and I had it in my hands 17 days later.

I think Apple has been improving the delivery intervals.

Tom

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2001, 01:45 PM

ORDER

Part Number: B5711LL/A
Product Name: Lexmark Z32 Printer - MSRP $69 - FREE
Unit Price: $0.00
Quantity: 1
Net Price: $0.00
Estimated time to ship: 1 day

Part Number: Z03K
Product Name: iBook 500MHz
Options:
065-2688 DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo
065-2840 10GB Ultra ATA drive
065-2820 256MB SDRAM
065-2473 iBook 500MHz White
Unit Price: $1,943.00
Quantity: 1
Net Price: $1,943.00
Estimated time to ship: 7 days

Shipping Cost: $25.00

Promotion Savings: - $94.00

Your chosen shipping method is Fed Ex 2-day.
Blasted it, it says 7 days, and I want it NOW! I ordered it 7 says ago, so if my OrderStatus doesn't change by tomorrow, I'm going to have to give Apple Support the beat down they deserve.

F-bacher

A.D.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2001, 04:32 PM

I ordered a new ibook with 20gig HD, 256mb ram, and combo drive on 7/22 and the ship time said 10 days. I also got the $70 lexmark printer and HP 315 digital camera. The ship time now says 7 days if you place an order today 8/5. Needless to say i haven't got my ibook yet. I know they're talking business days, so i waited my 2 weeks and called apple. The guy I talked to apologized and said the apple store site is wrong. He says because the ibook is so popular the current ship time is 3-5 weeks from when you place your order. oh, well... i've been told patience is a virtue. I've been an apple owner since my woz edition IIGS, but it kinda ticks me off when a business says one thing and does another. It's almost like false advertising. I thought there was some federal mail order act about disclosing accurate time of delivery. I don't think Apple is doing too well obeying that particular law in this case. i'm glad the ibook is doing so well, but customer service is #1 and they either need to be more accurate with their ship times, or pay some overtime to the workers to meet demand.

Macintosh
Banned
Aug 5, 2001, 05:23 PM

<alex in au>
Aug 5, 2001, 07:05 PM

I bought an iBook from our campus computer store, and it took 6 weeks to get delivered. Looks like once again apple can't get supply out of new products. Oh well It's great

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2001, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by A.D.:
<STRONG>I ordered a new ibook with 20gig HD, 256mb ram, and combo drive on 7/22 and the ship time said 10 days. I also got the $70 lexmark printer and HP 315 digital camera. The ship time now says 7 days if you place an order today 8/5. Needless to say i haven't got my ibook yet. I know they're talking business days, so i waited my 2 weeks and called apple. The guy I talked to apologized and said the apple store site is wrong. He says because the ibook is so popular the current ship time is 3-5 weeks from when you place your order. oh, well... i've been told patience is a virtue. I've been an apple owner since my woz edition IIGS, but it kinda ticks me off when a business says one thing and does another. It's almost like false advertising. I thought there was some federal mail order act about disclosing accurate time of delivery. I don't think Apple is doing too well obeying that particular law in this case. i'm glad the ibook is doing so well, but customer service is #1 and they either need to be more accurate with their ship times, or pay some overtime to the workers to meet demand. </STRONG>

Hmm.... when I called, they said it would be shipped out tomorrow... hope that lady knew what she was talking about...

F-bacher

P.S. Oh, and I loved their "hold" music. Ya, it wasn't something you could dance to, but at least it didn't put me to sleep.

whodisbe
Aug 6, 2001, 06:17 PM

this is unrelated, but, with my ibook I ordered a 256 MB ram upgrade. does that mean the 256 is soldered on, or did they just add a 128 stick to the upgrade slot? I would check myself, but I'm still afraid to break outt he tools and take apart my ibook. maybe in a year, but not right now.

A.D.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2001, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by whodisbe:
<STRONG>this is unrelated, but, with my ibook I ordered a 256 MB ram upgrade. does that mean the 256 is soldered on, or did they just add a 128 stick to the upgrade slot? I would check myself, but I'm still afraid to break outt he tools and take apart my ibook. maybe in a year, but not right now.</STRONG>
i think that 128 is always soldered on. i ordered 256 (haven't received my ibook yet ) and would be willing to bet they just throw in 128 in the expansion slot. That kinda sucks if you want more memory later. Does anyone out there know for sure?

robotic
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2001, 08:29 PM

Afraid to open break open the tools and open up your iBook?

ummm... the only thing you need to do to get access to your ram slot is pull up the keyboard, and remove two screws. That's it.

And yes, only 128 megs of ram is soldered on the board. If you got the ram upgrade, they put another 128 in your ram slot. I bought my (cd) model without any extra ram because ram is a lot cheaper from a third party... I'm going to be getting a 256 meg card

-robotic

whodisbe
Aug 6, 2001, 08:31 PM

hehe, yeah, I know its kinda dumb, but its my new toy. don't wanna crack it open just yet. and when I do crack it open, I wanna check out the guts.

pkatt
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2001, 11:53 PM

I sure feel sorry for you guys that ordered from Apple. I JUST ordered my iBook DVD from outpost.com late friday afternoon and I'm proud to say I'm typing this on my new icebook. That's less than one business day with airborne GROUND shipping, the stuff that's free. Great experience from outpost. the computer box came in another box that was in another box with a free slinky. I love outpost now.

whodisbe
Aug 7, 2001, 12:26 AM

you got a free slinky?? I want a slinky!

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2001, 12:28 AM

Originally posted by pkatt:
<STRONG>I sure feel sorry for you guys that ordered from Apple. I JUST ordered my iBook DVD from outpost.com late friday afternoon and I'm proud to say I'm typing this on my new icebook. That's less than one business day with airborne GROUND shipping, the stuff that's free. Great experience from outpost. the computer box came in another box that was in another box with a free slinky. I love outpost now.</STRONG>
I didn't think outpost.com offered educational loans. If they did, I'd be all over it. But I don't have enough liquid cash to do that.

F-bacher

<Scott Gerenser>
Aug 7, 2001, 12:49 AM

Credit cards? Parents with credit cards? Apple's loans are usually pretty crappy rates... maybe the educational ones are lower, I dunno.

Loz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2001, 12:58 AM

At least you guys are in the United States!! Out here in Australia, we have to wait for Apple to strap our orders to Kangaroos and send them packing across the desert!!! Only kidding, but I had to wait 8 weeks for my CD-RW/DVD and I was one of the lucky ones!!!
Ignorance is not an excuse, it's the real thing!

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2001, 03:40 AM

Originally posted by &lt;Scott Gerenser&gt;:
<STRONG>Credit cards? Parents with credit cards? Apple's loans are usually pretty crappy rates... maybe the educational ones are lower, I dunno.</STRONG>
They are (edu rates are lower), and I'd rather deal with it instead of my parents. The rates aren't that great, but as long as I pay over my premium (or er, whatever it's called) every month, I won't get screwed over by too much interest.

F-bacher

A.D.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2001, 07:47 AM

Originally posted by Ghoser777:
<STRONG>

They are (edu rates are lower), and I'd rather deal with it instead of my parents. The rates aren't that great, but as long as I pay over my premium (or er, whatever it's called) every month, I won't get screwed over by too much interest.

F-bacher</STRONG>
I just got an email that my ne ibook 20gig HD/ 256 ram/combo drive just shipped by 2 day fed ex lst night 8/6. i placed the order 7/22 so that's not too bad. i guess. I think i should bite my tongue from now on, cause i think i have been smiled on by the apple gods!

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2001, 08:43 PM

How long do they stay up putting these things together? That lady said it would ship today, and I don't take kindly to people misinforming me.

F-bacher

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2001, 08:47 PM

To Our Valued Apple Customer:

Thank you for your recent Apple Store order for an iBook. We apologize
for the delay in fulfilling your order. We expect to ship your order
within 5 to 10 business days. If you provided an email address when
your order was placed, you will receive an email notification once your
order has been shipped.

If you would like to change or cancel your order, please contact the
Apple Store Sales Support team at 1-800-676-2775, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
central time, Monday through Friday, or 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. central time,
Saturday and Sunday.

We appreciate your patience and thank you again for shopping at the
Apple Store!
GRRR!!!!

If it doesn't get here before friday of next week, Steve Jobs is going to pay. Blast him and this apple fanaticism that he helped incite!

F-bacher

Taloston Man
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2001, 09:02 PM

Hot damn!
iBook came in the mail today to the reseller, and I journeyed down to pick it up this afternoon!
Nice, NICE machine!
ONE stuck pixel, I've only noticed it twice out of chance in the more than five hours I've been at the machine!
The RAM hasn't been upgraded from the stock 128 yet, but I booted into OSX as my very first task as a Porta-Mac user, and I have very few complaints at all! Haven't even loaded up Classic yet, which comes as a BIG surprise to me!
It's a DVD model, and I haven't gone back into 9 to test out the Player yet, but rest assured I'll be watching more than a few flicks once 10.1 rolls out of Cupertino....

A bit of a request for help though, why is it that when I connect my iMac and new iBook by a normal Ethernet cable to share my old files from the iMac, nothing will happen? 9.1 on the iMac, 10.0.4 on the iBook, File Sharing enabled on both, but still no results....
I'll run a search if the option is back open again, but I'm a bit befuddled and disappointed....
If this doesn't work, I'm going to have to be burning a lot of CD's....
Fantastic machine though, I have nothing but raves thus far!
Trevor Haldenby
www.ExposedBrain.com/trevor
MacBook 2.0 GHz / 2 gigs RAM | 60GB vidiPod, Shuffle

A.D.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2001, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by Taloston Man:
<STRONG>Hot damn!
iBook came in the mail today to the reseller, and I journeyed down to pick it up this afternoon!
Nice, NICE machine!
ONE stuck pixel, I've only noticed it twice out of chance in the more than five hours I've been at the machine!
The RAM hasn't been upgraded from the stock 128 yet, but I booted into OSX as my very first task as a Porta-Mac user, and I have very few complaints at all! Haven't even loaded up Classic yet, which comes as a BIG surprise to me!
It's a DVD model, and I haven't gone back into 9 to test out the Player yet, but rest assured I'll be watching more than a few flicks once 10.1 rolls out of Cupertino....

A bit of a request for help though, why is it that when I connect my iMac and new iBook by a normal Ethernet cable to share my old files from the iMac, nothing will happen? 9.1 on the iMac, 10.0.4 on the iBook, File Sharing enabled on both, but still no results....
I'll run a search if the option is back open again, but I'm a bit befuddled and disappointed....
If this doesn't work, I'm going to have to be burning a lot of CD's....
Fantastic machine though, I have nothing but raves thus far!</STRONG>
In regards to the imac-ibook ethernet connection... I haven't got my ibook yet (fedex says tomorrow) but i think you need a special kind of ethernet cable. One called a "crossover" cable. I think it has an extra wire in it or something that lets you set up a one node network. A regualar ethernet cable won't do. I got my "crossover" cable at compusa for $15. I'll test it on wednesday or thursday and let you know if someone else doesn't first.

Taloston Man
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2001, 12:09 AM

Gech.
I was under the impression that with the new auto-sensing Ethernet feature of the new iBook, the need for a crossover cable would be fortunately eliminated.
Apparently not....
And in any case, being the persistent bastard that I am , I just went ahead and bruned everything to a CD already....
This is REALLY a fantastic machine....
The sound isn't great, but is still much better than I thought it would be, OSX is a super operating system, and despite it's slow speed, the multitasking more than makes up for it. Really!
DVD's look great on the screen, the size isn't bugging me in the slightest, it's unbelievably crisp!
I find the heat over the left palm rest to be hot, but still pleasant and comforting, not adversely affecting me at all.
I bought a Kensington Microsaver, and despite my doubts of it's strength under real criminal-theft scenarios, it's fairly discreet and fits snugly.
I installed OSX on my iMac, and it's certainly the better for it, I'm QUITE smitten with this new operating system, I hadn't really played with it at all until today, I'd been holding myself back!
It's very giggly-satisfying to be lying in bed typing a forum post on a 5 pound dream-laptop with a gorgeous screen and comfortable amenities that is running what I now deem to be the best operating sysem in the world!
Goodnight, and Godspeed!
Consider me one DAMN happy customer!
Trevor Haldenby
www.ExposedBrain.com/trevor
MacBook 2.0 GHz / 2 gigs RAM | 60GB vidiPod, Shuffle

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2001, 02:48 PM

It shipped! Yay! They send me an email yesterday saying it will ship in 5-10 days, and it ships the day after... oh well, I'm not complaining

But does anyone know where this is:
Left FedEx Origin Location TAOYUAN CITY TW

It has to be out of the US as the there at 6PM... even though it's only one where I am. Is that Taiwan?

F-bacher

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2001, 01:49 PM

Does anyone else see a problem with this:

Left FedEx Ramp C.K.S. INTL AIRPORT TW 08/09/2001 19:46

Arrived at FedEx Ramp ANCHORAGE AK 08/09/2001 13:04

Left FedEx Origin Location TAOYUAN CITY TW 08/08/2001 18:23

Pickup status TAOYUAN CITY TW 08/08/2001 18:05

If I read this right, my iBook went from Taiwan, to Alaska, and back to Taiwan again. It's suppose to be here today... but I'm SOOOOO confused.

F-bacher

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2001, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by Ghoser777:
<STRONG>Does anyone else see a problem with this:

Left FedEx Ramp C.K.S. INTL AIRPORT TW 08/09/2001 19:46

Arrived at FedEx Ramp ANCHORAGE AK 08/09/2001 13:04

Left FedEx Origin Location TAOYUAN CITY TW 08/08/2001 18:23

Pickup status TAOYUAN CITY TW 08/08/2001 18:05

If I read this right, my iBook went from Taiwan, to Alaska, and back to Taiwan again. It's suppose to be here today... but I'm SOOOOO confused.

F-bacher</STRONG>
Actually I've had that happen before. It didn't seem to slow the shipping process, though, as I received the package two days later (three days after it shipped). I think it might've been a mistake or something. Don't worry, it will soon be arriving.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2001, 03:41 PM

I'll be as patient as I can, but the suspense is killing me! It supposedly left Alaska again at 10:22 (whatever time that is relative to Central time, I do not know). Do I get free shipping if it's not here within the 2 days I paid for?

F-bacher

<Gaul>
Aug 10, 2001, 06:39 PM

I had the same shipping situation. I got the 5-10 business day e-mail and then it shipped FedEx even though I chose the standard shipping option. Mine shipped the 8th and arrived today in NH. I am pumped, but I actually don't have it yet since I don't live in NH, but only had it shipped there to avoid sales tax.

The reason behind the odd shipping times on the FedEx page is the time zones. The times are reported in local time at the location where your package is and so it is simply the flight and time zones that create the confusion, it never went back, and you should have it very soon.

I am very pleased with the ship time, I actually got it before the originally quoted 7 days, not to mention the 5-10 days stated in the e-mail.

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2001, 02:46 PM

Hmm... took my printer 6 hours to get from Memphis to Chicago... now getting close to 12 hrs and my iBook is still missing in action. Bah. It better get here on my birthday.

F-bacher

[ 08-11-2001: Message edited by: Ghoser777 ]

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2001, 10:57 PM

Okay, not only is my iBook late, now FedEx tracking is down! Can anyone else get that service to work? It did up till a couple of hours ago.

F-bacher

Forum Links
Forum Rules