Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What Kind Of RAM For New MacBook?

What Kind Of RAM For New MacBook?
drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Oct 29, 2008, 07:26 PM

I know it is DDR3 1066mHz, but is it 200 pin still? Is ther any point in getting RAM advertised at MacBook optimized? I do understand that low latency RAM from a good brand is important though.
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2008, 04:09 AM

No, DDR3 SO-DIMMs have 204 pins. They are designed not to fit DDR2 sockets in order to prevent mixups.

Forget "Mac compatible", "Mac optimized" or any other kind of marketing baloney designed to coerce you into paying too much. You can also pretty much forget about latency ratings. No benchmark done on Macs has showed any gains beyond the uncertainty level of the measurement when it comes to low latency memory.

Just get exactly what Apple specifies and you'll be fine. That is PC3-8500 DDR3 SO-DIMMs, 204 pins, 1066 MHz.

You can get a 2GB DDR3 SO-DIMM from Newegg for $59 right now. If you're a "Crucial believer" it's $61.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2008, 04:26 AM

This thread reminded me that we have a sticky thread for information about RAM upgrades in MBs and MBPs.

I have added the above mentioned specs there.

OreoCookie
Oct 30, 2008, 04:45 AM

The answer is contained in the sticky Simon has linked to
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules