Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My iBook Horror Story

My iBook Horror Story
PseuFighter
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2001, 08:33 PM

Hey everyone. I posted this story over at the Apple discussions board late last night, and since have gotten some really sarcastic responses by the crowd over there. If you guys could help me, basically just point me in the right direction as to where I should go from here with this story, I'd appreciate it... Thanks!

Here's exactly what I posted this morning...

-----------------------------

Ok everyone, I've been putting this off for a long time. Venting out my frustrations regarding my recent purchase of a Dual USB iBook with DVD. Tonight was the last straw. I'm going to try and document everything that's happend to me since my parent's purcahsed me the machine in June. It's about time the public knows the way I was treated by Apple and I can only hope the company has more respect for its customers than from what I had been in constant phone calls with the company.

Well, it started in June as I mentioned above. My parents went out and purchased me a $1,600 iBook with DVD. It was going to be used mainly for school and my graphics business. After fighting with MacWarehouse to ship the product, the item is finally sent a week following the order. If you recall, I had purchsed this iBook at the time of the big back-order crisis. I'm sure you all remember the weeks I'm speaking of. So Airbore comes knocking on my door with a nice shiny new iBook. Here's where the hell begins...

I took out the iBook and first noticed the scratches on the machine. Now I wasn't going to run and blame Apple for this since the product had gone through a $30 RAM Doubling upgrade at MacWarehouse, and I was assuming they had probably scratched the machine in frustration to get the product shipped. So here I am first with a machine, new, out of the box, scratched all over.

Two days go by and I notice a speck on the top right quadrant of the screen. Lucky me... I'm now the owner of an iBook with a dead pixel. Now I wouldn't have been so angry if "Jane Doe" up the road didn't have a perfect machine for the same price. So I went ahead and called Apple Tech Support. I figured I had the free year and I might as well make the most of it. So I get on the phone with "Dusty from Apple." Dusty first informs me that the item is within spec and there is really nothing Apple can do. Then he goes on to inform me that it would cost Apple at least an extra thousand dollars to make all machines perfect. Next he goes on to tell me that there are techniques (the massaging technique) that can be found online that can sometimes take care of dead pixels and bring them back to life. So I go with it, figure what the heck, and in my frustration was ready to hang up the phone and live with the imperfect brand new screen until he had come back to stress the money involved in providing a perfect iBook screen. He passed along a comment that simply disgusted me. It was something along the lines of, "The iBook isn't the Powerbook G4"... That quote just made me sick. It was awful. I didn't need to be scolded by some punk at Apple reading through the kbase website. Pathetic. But once again, I shrugged it off and moved on.

Now my parents weren't happy with this. After all, it was them who were going to pay the bill. At the same time MacWarehouse wasn't sticking by their customer. But wait, the first dead pixel is only the beginning. Next a couple weeks go by and a second dead pixel is spotted. This time the pixel is in the lower right quadrant of the screen.

So I run and call good old Apple Tech Support hoping two dead pixels would constitute a fix. I was played as a 16 year old. First he asked me where they were, I told him, then he informed me that they were once again "in spec." Now I was furious. Then he informed me that Apple has two "unwritten rules"... The rules that constitute a repair are two dead pixels within 25mm or two dead pixels in the same row. But it's ok to have two dead pixels otherwise. It was awful. Apple simply hides this information in its kbase and I feel as the consumer, they're disclosing the information for their own gain. Oh, and this time I was told that by massaging my machine I might void my warranty... But of course it was the first Apple Tech Support "genius" that instructed me to massage the first dead pixel. And of course it wasn't until I massaged that first pixel that the second one developed. So again in disgust I moved on. But now my parents were absolutely in rage. They called back Apple and my mother ended up fighting with the company for over an hour. I was unnecessary. She went on to explain how we had been buying all Apple products for over fifteen years, and it was almost like Apple could care less. They don't know how to treat a customer. With really no choice left, we were forced to "hang up and live with it." But wait, there's more . . .

The next week my iBook battery stops maintaining a full charge. So I run all the tests Apple asks for (draining, etc), but no luck. I call Apple and at first they explain to me how batteries almost never maintain a full charge, but I told them how this battery could barely maintain half the charge. So after debating with Tech Support (again) for nearly a half hour, they accepted the repair (horray). Of course not before my parents and myself felt violated by Apple Tech Support. So now I thought things were going to finally improve... Of course I was wrong!

Soon enough Macworld New York is here. I got my father to take me via Amtrak on the four hour journey to the Jacob Javits Center. A great atmosphere for me to present my question to a valid Apple representative. I explained my dilemma, and how both myself and my parents were treated, and guy from Apple pulled my aside. He told me that first off he was sorry for how I was treated, then went on to explain how I should call Steve Jobs. He explained that if I tell my story to Jobs' office, my call will be forwarded to a voice maill, where "Gene" will call me back within four hours and take care of my situation. More great news, or so I thought.

Now I'm 16, and so far I've noticed that big companies (like Apple) have taken advantage of my age, even though many of the company employees aren't much older than me. So I talked it over with my school network administrator. He explaied to me how his wife had a co-worker who ran into an awful dilemma with his iMac. He went ahead and emailed Steve Jobs what had happend, and within hours the phone rang from "Gene." Gene sent this guy a high end iMac DV, and tons of Apple merchandise, and didn't even bother to ask for the other machine (which was since working) back. Apparently this Gene is the guy that "makes things right" at Apple. So now I figured I had to go ahead and email Jobs for myself.

I went ahead and wrote Jobs a long email. It was perfectly written and addressed all my concerns and explained the way myself and my family had been treated by the company. Well, after a week I got a phone call. It was "Robert from Apple representing Steve Jobs." First Robert appologizes for the way I was treated, then asked me who it was I had spoken to at Macworld. Now I feel bad beacuse right away the guy was taking advantage of my age. So I go ahead and describe the Apple guy to him, he knows right away who I'm speaking of. The poor guy at Macworld was so helpful! So he goes on to once again explain to me how this iBook screen is "within spec," and I began to think uh-oh, here we go again. He says to me, he wanted to make it up to me (oh boy). As a consolation he said he'd send me a complimentary Kensington Lock and Light. Great, just what I DON'T need. I just wanted my iBook fixed up, that's all. So after discussing what he could send for about twenty minutes, I just said "fine, send whatever," in obvious disgust. Nothing would make up for a bad screen and the trash Apple had put myself and my family through.

So now a week has gone by. No, I haven't received these "gifts" from Apple, but since then new problems have developed with the machine. The battery is once again acting up. Once again it doesn't maintain a full charge. And I'm simply scared to call Apple after the way I've been treated. But not only that, within the last two days, I went out and got AirPort. Here's more hell for you...

I got my AirPort Base Station at a really nice price, so I couldn't pass up on it. There was a local chain store that was closing them out, so I figured I'd go with it. Today my mother picked up an Airport Card for me at CompUSA. Ok, no problem. She comes home and I install the goods. For the first twenty minutes the devices worked fine. But I should also note that there are no iBook AirPort install instructions with the card, and if you don't know what you're doing, you could go ahead and try installing the card with the attached sled (for iMac computers) and really defect your machine. But in any event, after twenty minutes, my father decided to watch some DirecTV on his 2.4GHz audio/video sender and receiver. Right away my AirPort stopped working. So I did my research and changed the channel on the Base Station. Now I can get the signal to work alright if I'm within twenty feet of the base station (and that's with all the a/v junk off), and basically no signal at all from my room. That's within sixty feet! So now I'm reading the boards and realizing that there might be an AirPort antenna defect with my iBook. Crazy! Simply crazy! I can't stand this, and I'm afraid I will once again be on the phone with Apple tech support tomorrow.

This has been nothing but hell. From the moment I placed an order with MacWarehouse to the apparently bad AirPort antenna. Once again, I hope no one ever has to experience the pain I had to go through with my beloved Apple Computer.

Thank You for reading this. Please, if you have any advice, please post.

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: PseuFighter ]
Let's show 'em why Macworld 2003 won't be like Macworld 2002.

<Mac Advice>
Aug 14, 2001, 09:20 PM

I know there are policies about dead pixels on lcd screens. If it is one or two dead pixels, this is common. If you don't believe me do a search on DEJA.com. The messaging technique does work sometimes, but be careful not to press down too hard.

As for the scratches, the new iBook scratches easily. The fact that you just got it though, and it was already scratched is sick.

I would fight with MacWarehouse Customer Service until the end of time, and try to get a replacment unit. Either that or try to get some money back from them, and make a note that is them that A. Scratched the iBook, and B. Damaged the LCD screen during memory installation.

As far as the Airport goes, you'll need to check with Apple on that.

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 14, 2001, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by PseuFighter:
<STRONG>Hey everyone. I posted this story over at the Apple discussions board late last night, and since have gotten some really sarcastic responses by the crowd over there. If you guys could help me, basically just point me in the right direction as to where I should go from here with this story, I'd appreciate it... Thanks!</STRONG>
PseuFighter, Apple probably read this and decided it was TMI.

Why don't you reconsider what your Apple-related issues are (battery, AirPort) vs. what is not (scratches, pixels) and concentrate only on those points. By batching everything together it looks like you are expecting Apple to solve problems that are not even theirs.

It might be difficult to accept that your new $1,600 machine is imperfect, but by allowing a third party vendor, especially in a rush situation, to even touch your new iBook you all but guaranteed that. Apple cannot be responsible for any MacWarehouse mishandling, and it cannot be proved that the scratches did or did not originate with Apple in the first place. Clearly not Apple's problem.

Regarding pixels, one or two dead pixels are not uncommon, and unfortunately we've seen Apple relay that to customers on these fora before. I agree it sucks, but it would take many pixels as you state and/or the inability to use your screen for Apple to react to your claim. If memory serves, I recall one member with six overall dead PowerBook pixels who was told what you were. FWIT I set up a new G4 PowerBook recently with two dead pixels and found it ironic that my wife's new iBook, at half the cost, has none.

When you make that call tomorrow you'll have better luck by not worrying how and why Apple is trying to take advantage of your age, and concentrating clearly on the battery and AirPort problem instead. Then sit back and enjoy your brand new iBook.

c-d

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

Atomic Beat Boy
Aug 14, 2001, 09:42 PM

The dead-pixels issue has been raised a million times, and the argument just goes around in circles. I think people need to stop living in the land of the fairies and accept that TFT displays are FANTASTICALLY difficult to manufacture, and yes, radio interference happens.

Does it work again if you retune the Airport back to how it was? Or if you take the whole setup to a friend's house? If so, it's not a hardware fault, it's the mirky world of RF interference, which you'll have to sort out yourself. By the way, the Airport installation instructions would be in the iBook's manual.

The battery issue sounds like a real problem, so why haven't you sent it in for repair instead of just bitching at some poor employee(s)? Ditto why didn't you send the thing back because of the scratches? Less talk, more action.

And one more question: Did you actually get badly treated by Apple's staff, or are you just annoyed that you couldn't bend them to your own whims, in which case you can hardly blame them for getting ratty?

Sorry to sound so dismissive, but I think you need to calm down and find practical solutions: See if MacWarehouse will do anything about the scratches, accept the screen may have one or two imperfections, send in your iBook for battery repairs, try and find a way for Airport and this videolink (and whatever other electrical equipment) to live happily together (retuning, repositioning etc). It doesn't sound so much like "hell" as learning to live in the real world. After a lifetime of this you'll be old and bitter and twisted too, and probably happier for it.

PseuFighter  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2001, 10:04 PM

I think you're all passing over what I'm trying to get across. Look, I understand the whole pixel thing, and have known that for a few weeks now, but don't you dare tell me I'm coming in here bitching my story. I just want advice. And MacWarehouse wont take it back. Personally I feel they have an obligation to, and they just wont do it. Do you have have ideas of how I can get the company to accept this defective machine?

When you know someone, in this case my parents, who goes out of their way to save up $1,600 and buys this machine, you expect it to be perfect. If you were to buy a brand new car, and it had problems, it would be fixed. How is this any different? My iBook has problems, and I want them corrected. Neither Apple nor MacWarehouse will have the time of day to correct this machine.

And to follow up the story, the machine is in dispute with my parents Credit Card company, so hopefully they'll take care of it. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up with a free machine.

Jarid

<Deal with it>
Aug 14, 2001, 10:20 PM

Sorry to say this but it's time for a reality check. You bought the iBook in June. MacWarehouse has a 30 day policy on returns, but states they will not take back Apple products.

If you were to complain to Customer Service, it should have been done in June. When you get irate enough they most likely are going to take it back. It's too late now. Just enjoy the system, and quit complaining.

No one is missing any point. Lots of people have dead pixels, and scratches on their iBooks. The fact that you are a kid has no relevance.
It would have been best to get your parents to make a nasty call to MacWarehouse, but like I said it's way to late for that now. You can still try, but good luck.

I really don't see anything wrong. One or two dead pixels, some scratches, pretty normal for a notebook computer.

Buh Bye!

<Deal with it>
Aug 14, 2001, 10:24 PM

Just an added note.

We've already established that it is hard to get a perfect LCD screen.

Why is everyone crying for new iMacs? All it's going to create is a bunch of complainers. Buy a CRT iMac and enjoy it!

Not to mention CRT monitors are better for grahphics. Did you know IBM is working on a flat CRT monitor? There will be no dead pixels, and it would be a much better display.

Atomic Beat Boy
Aug 14, 2001, 10:31 PM

I thought you said Apple would repair the battery?

Ask to speak to a supervisor at Mac Warehouse, and then whoever else i s in charge, if you you have to, threaten MacWarehouse with legal action. Or do what you appear to have already done and use your credit card insurance. It seems a bit late now, you should have just sent it straight back instead of continuing to use it. They can just blame you now.

As a 16 year old, you probably won't get taken seriously. I suggest your parents, and only your parents, should make the phone calls.

(And don't worry about the dead pixels. My screen is so filthy I can't tell what's a dead pixel and what's dirt, and I"m sure most other people have similar abused screens. I have one real dead pixel BTW, in the menu bar)

"don't you dare tell me I'm coming in here bitching my story" That sounds like bitching to me. Ditto "iBook FROM HELL". Don't bitch at us, we're not Apple, we're not MacWarehouse, we're just ordinary people trying to help for no reward. Stop taking it out on us. WE ARE NOT THE MAN.

<Get a Grip>
Aug 14, 2001, 11:10 PM

The way you carry on, you sound like a spoiled brat.

Dispute with the credit card company? I highly doubt you will be getting a free iBook.

Two months later and you are still crying? Sell your iBook on Ebay, because you sound like a PC user.

ussfolsom
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2001, 11:22 PM

I think you need to stop being so concerned with your age. If you don't see your age as a problem it won't be. I also think that you don't take constructive criticism very well.

Bottom line is it all comes down to how any of this takes away from the functionality of the iBook, and except for the battery (if your statement of half the time is accurate) and airport (which could be solved by a bit of troubleshooting) none of it does.

PseuFighter  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2001, 11:29 PM

&lt;Get A Grip&gt; and &lt;Deal With It&gt;...
I don't think you read the first couple lines of the first post in this thread. If so, you wouldn't be filling up this topic with useless information. And please register, or at least tell us what your true identity is. If you're not going to offer help, I hope you have something better to do with your time.

I seriously cannot believe you referred to me as a "spoiled brat." Simply amazing. That sounds to me like the language of a PC user, buddy.

And Atomic, I'm going to have my parents call back Apple (the guy representing Jobs left his phone number), and the dispute with MacWarehouse is as far as I know pending, but that's beyond me. But thank your for some constructive advice, unlike others.

uss... when major companies have 16 year olds on their back, they want to get rid of them the easiest way possible. Hence, I was taken advantage of, whether you see it or not, that's not for discussion. Defective pieces of merchandise must be fixed, that's the end of it.

Jarid

<Deal with it>
Aug 14, 2001, 11:41 PM

Unless you have a huge cluster of dead pixels, like say 20 or more then you are not going to get a replacement.

As far as the scratches go it should have been taken up with MacWarehouse immediately. Like I said, Ibook scratches are common. If you are going to continue with the fight, then you should contact MacWarehouse tech support, and make a point that they are the ones that damaged the unit.

It's obvious that this is a vent from hell, so I apologize for the spoiled brat comment. I don't really think that PC users read this forum.

<Deal with it>
Aug 14, 2001, 11:47 PM

An added note :

You can contact Apple, and file a complaint if the issue is not resolved.
To do this you will need to contact Apple Customer Service by phone.

ussfolsom
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2001, 11:48 PM

Sorry for not making myself clear. What I meant was that you shouldn't tell people your age and if you want a bit more respect try acting in a more mature manner. If they ask, that is another story and then you have an adult step in for you.

I really don't mean to offend you, but you came here looking for help and you simply deny what everyone says. Is the world wrong or are you? I'm sure none of this is getting to you so I'll stop now, but if I were you I'd think about what everyone has said.

Q: How old do you think I am?

A: It doesn't matter :/

<Deal with It>
Aug 14, 2001, 11:58 PM

I agree, and I'm going to stop posting as well.

Just a few last comments

If I were a Customer Service rep listening to your complaint, I would probably feel more threatened by an Adult. It shouldn't matter, but that's the way the world works.

I don't think you are going to hear any different responses, than what you currently have gotten. That's why I said it was time for a reality check.

If you want to continue the fight, you can file a complaint with the BBB. http://www.bbb.org/

Oh and to clarify, I've been a Mac user for almost 11 years.

milhous
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2001, 12:05 AM

Sorry to hear about your troubles. First, determine who you should go after first, the reseller or the manufacturer. You may be able to file a complaint with your state's bureau of consumer protection which should be under the jurisdiction of your state's attorney general. Call them up and find out the process of making a formal complaint. If they do not let you file complaints against the reseller and the manufacturer simulataneously, you may have no other choice then to file two seperate complaints.

Also, get in contact with the Better Business Bureau and you'll have to go through similar paperwork. Hopefully these free agencies will be able to mediate the dispute. If all else fails, and should you decide to, you can file suite for a small charge in small claims court.

From the way you described it, I think you may want to focus on the reseller. After all, they are the ones you dealt with directly. To have scrates on an iBook just to have ram installed is absolutely UNACCEPTABLE. Those scratches further indicate to me that the unit was not handled in a responsible manner and thus you could argue that the reseller was to blame for everything else. Good luck, I'd like to hear a followup with your problem.

Please don't flame me as I am NOT a litigation monger. I am also not a trial lawyer, nor am I a card-carrying member of the ACLU.
F = ma

whodisbe
Aug 15, 2001, 12:14 AM

PseuFighter,

first off, I wouldn't pay much attention to deal with it, and whatever the other person's name was. you asked for advice, they didn't give you any... so don't waste your time and efforts on them

If apple's support staff did intereact with you tyhe way you say they did, that was really uncalled for. It is apple's product, they should stand by it. Chances are they are taking advantage of your age, they are going for the intimidation factor. So.. get your parents involved, if, and only IF, they are knowledgeable about computers. If all they did was pay for it, and know nothing else about the computer, leave them out of the loop.

They aren't going to do anything about the pixels, I had three dead pixels on mine when I got it out of the box. And seeing as how its an lcd screen.. blah blah, I'm sure you've read that a bunch of times, you know the drill. I wouldn't stress over the dead pixels.

The scratches, if they cracked the casing, then I'd get upset, or if they are deep long scratches, or even just plain deep, I would worry about them. Otherwise, it falls under the same category as the pixels.

The battery.. that is extremely effed up. Apple should at the least give you a new battery. and with the airport base station and card, well, the base station was bout at a good price you said... maybe that's why. See if you can return it, if you can, its all good. About the airport, exchange that for another one, and tell them that the first one didn't have any documentation. Take your parents with you when you go do that, and if need be, ask for a manager. Apple won't do anything about an airport card that you bought from a retailer. At least, if I was apple, I wouldn't. They can't be held responsible for a retailers goof up.

As for tech support, don't blow up on them. I do tech support for a different company, most of us are college kids trying to scrimp for college and living expenses. We don't need people shouting at us, and when people do, it ends up in the notes. and us tech support people stick together on rude customers. don't be a rude customer.

Stop mentioning the pixels to apple. Focus on the battery. Once they agree to take a look at that... I would then mention the airport card, and then the scratches.

the base station... well, you said so yourself, it was a great price. You get what you paid for my friend. and just so you know, the airport card doesn't require an airport base station to work, you just need any wireless 802.11 or whatever number it is router. it'll do the job. That's how my network is set up at home. and at school, that's how we are set up. So, see if you can get a refund for that base station.

and, try not to get so defensive in here. I'm sure you've noticed by now that some people get really defensive about pointing out apple's faults.

I hope I gave you something helpful in there. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

later.

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2001, 01:10 AM

I know as much as anyone that Apple doesn't have a to prate help center but you have to think about this... they get TONS of calls a day about issues FAR greater than "I have to microscopic pixels dead." You have to realize that it costs money for a company like Apple to fix these MAJOR problems people have with thier machines and if they had everyone with a stuck pixel send thier screen in for repairs they'd be in prett good financial problems... LCD's are never perfect my friend...

But I should also note that there are no iBook AirPort install instructions with the card, and if you don't know what you're doing, you could go ahead and try installing the card with the attached sled (for iMac computers) and really defect your machine.
There are instructions for Airport and RAM installation under your keyboard... and as for the DirectTV and Airport problem... DUH. Airport uses a 2.4GHz signal and when a different signal of the same frequency hits it... it's useless... Too bad so sad. That's why DirectTV sux.

Anyway... you need to learn that nothing in this world is perfect and if you expect perfect results 100% of the time then you are going to live one hell of a miserable life.

I've learned that if you lower your expectations you'll be a lot happier cause things will be a lot better than you expected.

Mac Guru

whodisbe
Aug 15, 2001, 02:38 AM

Originally posted by Mac Guru:
[QB]
I've learned that if you lower your expectations you'll be a lot happier cause things will be a lot better than you expected./QB]
I think it was Benjamin Franklin who said it (but I might be wrong), but he basically said the same thing. It generally goes, Expect nothing, that way you will never be disappointed. Good thing to go by.. works for when my grades are mailed to me

<Wala Wala>
Aug 15, 2001, 03:30 AM

Is there something like a a third party utility to change the frequency that the Airport operates at?

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2001, 03:52 AM

You got sarcastic responses because you're calling an ibook with 2 dead pixels an ibook from hell. Instead of telling people to shut up, step back and figure out why so you won't be laughed off in the future.

Dead pixels are common, Toshiba won't take them back unless you have 15. You're asking them to replace your ibook every time the tinniest problem pops up. And if they don't, they're evil. As for the battery, they can't see it. They can't see if you're misreading something or if you're trying to trick them. They can't just ship out a new ibook every time you call in; they have to verify that you genuinely have a problem with it and that requires debate. For Airport, 2.4 ghz is the frequency for microwave ovens, and therefore is unregulated and free. Because of this, you're bound to get interference. Aquiring regulated frequencies costs billions.

All your problems are essentially due to your lack of technical knowledge; that complex products are never perfect (think genetic complexity vs genetically defective people), every solid thing on earth scratches, that people are not telepathic, and that electronics have technical limitations.

Apple is not abusing you or your parents over the phone. You didn't write anything in your post that they wouldn't do just because you're 16, and they did nothing that no other computer company wouldn't say to you. Also, going postal over a tiny problem doesn't help; they're actual people too. It's just like demanding that a new car be replaced no questions asked just because you found this microscopic paint chip somewhere on it. You need to lower your standards basically.

Edit: Just read your post on the Apple support boards. If those were considered "really sarcastic", you seriously need to get out more. For a 16 year old, you're going to find hell in this world.

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: Nebrie ]

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2001, 04:22 AM

Edit: dup. post

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: Nebrie ]

Loz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2001, 07:09 AM

It seems strange that the people at the Apple discussions board gave srcastic answers and the answers you are getting here are not what you want to hear either. Do you think that maybe you are partially to blame for some of the issues you are having?

I work at a reseller in Australia and we have issues with dead pixels all the time. The official word is that Apple won't take ANY LCD screen back unless there are 7 or more dead pixels. Even then they will only take it if the customer brings it back to us. Apparently this is due to the manufacturing techniques used to make these type of screens. It's not just Apple screen that fault but all LCD's. Yes the work experience kid at Apple told you to massage the screen. In future, don't do this as you may wreck another pixel (as you already know). Proving that "Dusty" at the service desk at Apple is liable will be tough to say the least unless they record all there calls for staff evaluation reasons as they do here. "Perhaps you misinterpereted him" will be Apples obvious defence.

As for the scratches. Prove to me that the scratches were there when you opened the box. Did you video this opening? If not and you didn't return the machine straight away (ie without even installing system software) then tough luck pal, the scratches were made by you!

As for the battery, send it back for warranty. You may be without your iBook for a week or two but it will get fixed. Asking them to take a look at anything else while it's in won't do any good, they just don't do that!

As for the Airport. Please. It worked before you turned the TV on and now it doesn't? Either you fried the card, the base station or something else. With that in mind, you may find you have warranty issues on future claims too.

I think that covers it all. Oh yeah, your new car analogy. I hate it when people use this coz it really opens them up for a lose. Here we go. Sure, if you bought a faulty car it would be fixed. But, if you didn't tell the salesman about the scratches in the paint for over a month, if you ran a huge electrode through the radio, you might get lucky and have the battery replaced but "the car is now used and these are wear and tear issues".

One more thing, we were all 16 once too (except for the ones who are not 16 yet) and know what it's like to be pushed around and ignored. The responses you have been given here seem reasonable to me but obviously you feel jilted because you are "just a kid". Maybe you are a spoiled brat, maybe you are not. You are 16 and will be pushed around and taken advantage of until you are older or can carry yourself a little better (not to demean you or anything but they obviously saw you as someone who would go away if they told you to). I agree it sucks but you'll do the same when you are older. Trust me!!

Next time return the goods and demand a refund THAT DAY instead of playing with your new toy and waiting. Good things come to those who wait. I waited 8 weeks for mine but am happy with it now (except for one dead pixel which I refuse to massage).

Experience is something you get about 1 second after you need it.
Ignorance is not an excuse, it's the real thing!

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2001, 07:51 AM

Apple's just a second-rate computer manufacturer. This pisses me off.

We're getting second-rate computers at first-rate prices. The iMac is manufactured for $500 or less, and yet their marketing costs bring the machine's grand total to a thousand dollars.

Sure, the new iBook is a better deal than some Dell or Compaq notebooks, but, after hearing your story, I suppose a $2,000 Dell would be far superior to your stupid iBook. Your experiences with stupid, heartless customer support representatives should tag on $1,000 of emotional distress you should invoice them for.

But, what infuriates me is the quality of Apple's support. My friend has a Dell Inspiron 8000. It had one dead pixel on the even more-so "incredibly hard to manufacture" 1600 by 1200-pixel 15-inch display. They replaced it without a question.

Another buddy of mine has a Dell Dimension desktop. Once, lightning struck a telephone pole and his modem got zapped. They came out two days later and replaced his modem.

Just recently, he installed a 933-megahertz Pentium III in his system (formerly a 400-megahertz Pentium II box). The thing worked, but a few days later, the motherboard fried. They came out a day later and replaced his motherboard and gave him a 933-megahertz socket Pentium III for "all his trouble".

What have we learned from this? Apple's hardware is absolute **** .

Cipher13
Aug 15, 2001, 08:56 AM

To everybody here bagging out PseuFighter - back off.
I've had experience with the absolutely terrible nature of Apple before, and its not a pleasant experience.

Tell me, "Deal with it" and "Get a grip" - putting aside your disgusting cowardice evident in the inability to post under your own identity, have you ever paid over a thousand dollars for a computer, to have it turn up in worse condition than most second hand products?

Scratched and battered, inferior, defective? No? Didn't think so.
Not only that though - but getting it home to use with Apples "wonderful" wireless technology... and having it shut down by some TV transmitter?
This seemingly untested wireless technology? But wait, it couldn't possibly untested... POORLY tested? Or does Apple merely decline to mention certain issues; passing off blame and ussing part 15 of the FCC agreement that the device must not cause any interference, yet accept any recieved, as if it causes the consumer no problems at all?

Tell ya what, how about next time you order something for a large sum of money (computer, car, whatever) - tell me, I'll come rough it up, THEN pass it on to you, okay?
Would you accept a new car scratched all over? A new car with opaque spots on the windscreen? Not bloody likely.

PseuFighter - threaten to contact the BBB, and complain to Apple Customer Relations like there's no tomorrow. While fighting Apple, fight MacWarehouse - see which front is more successful, but don't give up on either... good luck...

NOTE: (FCC part 15? I think...)

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2001, 10:03 AM

For Airport, 2.4 ghz is the frequency for microwave ovens, and therefore is unregulated and free. Because of this, you're bound to get interference. Aquiring regulated frequencies costs billions.
Exactly... for the same reason you had crappy reception when your dad watches TV I get half range when my Wife is microwaving stuff. I refuse to own any of these new 2.4GHz phones or anything else that runs around there that I don't REALLY need to live. I like my Airport (200ft. and livin it )

Or does Apple merely decline to mention certain issues; passing off blame and ussing part 15 of the FCC agreement that the device must not cause any interference, yet accept any recieved, as if it causes the consumer no problems at all?
No Apple does not decline the fact that 2.4GHz radio frequencies interfere with Airport... it's in the online Airport TIL information, and it's in the Mac Help Airport section. If you read the instructions for your new toys before you get to deep you can easily solve the problem. I know it takes time away from playing with your toy but it pays to read the instructions.

Mac Guru

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2001, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>To everybody here bagging out PseuFighter - back off.
I've had experience with the absolutely terrible nature of Apple before, and its not a pleasant experience.

Tell me, "Deal with it" and "Get a grip" - putting aside your disgusting cowardice evident in the inability to post under your own identity, have you ever paid over a thousand dollars for a computer, to have it turn up in worse condition than most second hand products?

Scratched and battered, inferior, defective? No? Didn't think so.
Not only that though - but getting it home to use with Apples "wonderful" wireless technology... and having it shut down by some TV transmitter?
This seemingly untested wireless technology? But wait, it couldn't possibly untested... POORLY tested? Or does Apple merely decline to mention certain issues; passing off blame and ussing part 15 of the FCC agreement that the device must not cause any interference, yet accept any recieved, as if it causes the consumer no problems at all?

Tell ya what, how about next time you order something for a large sum of money (computer, car, whatever) - tell me, I'll come rough it up, THEN pass it on to you, okay?
Would you accept a new car scratched all over? A new car with opaque spots on the windscreen? Not bloody likely.

PseuFighter - threaten to contact the BBB, and complain to Apple Customer Relations like there's no tomorrow. While fighting Apple, fight MacWarehouse - see which front is more successful, but don't give up on either... good luck...

NOTE: (FCC part 15? I think...)</STRONG>
I would be inclined to agree with you, however he waited over two months to do anything about it. That's past the MacWarehouse 30 day return policy. And NO manufacturer would take back a product because of cosmetic issues 3 months down the road. That's called wear and tear.

Oh, and seanyepez, don't even try to bring Dell into this. They have the worst customer service EVER. No one there knows what they are doing; if anything is wrong the answer is always to format your hard drive. My friend has sworn off PeeCee's due to Dell's sh*tty customer support. His DVD player wont even play all DVD's, and when he can get them to play, they're very choppy, yet Dell will not replace it. He has a loud noise coming out of his exhaust fan, but no exhaust fan will be issued by Dell. And I find your story about the guy getting a free CPU when he fried his comp ridiculous. Why would Dell help someone out who voided their warranty by adding/removing components?

Now, as for PsueFighter. You basically waited too long to bring all this stuff up. I seriously doubt it has anything to do with your age. Bringing it up with the BBB is probably just a waste of everyone's time. Apple will fix your battery, so get them to do that. You probably wont be able to use your airport setup with a 2.4GHz video sender, and I could've told you this before you bought it. Get your dad to shell out for another DirecTV receiver, that way you don't have the sender hindering your transmission. You really shouldn't get mad at either company for not taking your laptop back for dead pixels or scratches. My dad has about 10 laptops from both Dell and Gateway (he owns a business), and 3 or 4 have at least one dead pixel on them. Neither one will take it back, and my dad can accept that dead pixels are a normal thing. And as for the scratches, since you waited so long there's no way to prove that it was a problem from MacWarehouse. I know it sucks to hear this, but you should've sent it back the day you got it. MacWarehouse is not responsible for any of this due to the length of time you waited to call them.

Basically, get the battery fixed, and get your dad to get another DirecTV receiver. That will fix two of your problems. I wouldn't even talk to Apple about the other two (scratches and dead pixels). Keep fighting MacWarehouse and you might get somewhere, just don't be disappointed if you don't.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

grimley
Aug 15, 2001, 10:32 AM

Sean,

If apple hardware and production is such a piece of **** then why are you addicted to MacNN?

In my experience, if there was a legitimate reason for problems with the machine, then Apple will fix it. A friend got a G4 Powerbook with a faulty DVD drive and Apple replaced it without question - why? Because he got in touch as soon as the problem occured and didn't wait to play with it for a while and then return it. I think the only legitimate complaint to Apple here is the battery, and they should fix that. But going ballistic over everything else seems reactionary.

The scratches - which should have been documented as soon as the box was opened - are MacWarehouses fault. Resellers policy about returning computer hardware is ludicrous at best - the "well you bought it" excuse has infuriated me in the past. Unfortunately, that's where the scratch argument must take place.

Quadzmodo
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2001, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by cube-dude:
<STRONG>

It might be difficult to accept that your new $1,600 machine is imperfect, but by allowing a third party vendor, especially in a rush situation, to even touch your new iBook you all but guaranteed that. Apple cannot be responsible for any MacWarehouse mishandling, and it cannot be proved that the scratches did or did not originate with Apple in the first place. Clearly not Apple's problem.

</STRONG>
He has a good reasont o be bitter. I too purchased my iBook around the same time, and allowed a third vendor (Smalldog.com) to install ram. They did an excellent job and didn't scratch my system one ioata. He has every right to be upset, but I would have recommended that he allowed his parents to speak to the company rep. as they bought the machine and they probably could have gotten better results.
It's just my humble opinion.

Pepper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2001, 11:42 AM

A few dead pixels is to be expected. Apple can't replace all the screens that have 1 or 2 dead pixels nor can any other company. The scratches, well that is your fault, i would never trust MacWarehouse to do anything right, let alone actually ship a product in time. You should have ordered ram from another company for cheaper and installed it yourself.

As for the battery, apple says that iBooks get about 5hours of life. Well your not going to get 5 hours. The most i have ever gotten was about 4:10 of life. And i avg around 3:45 mins. And Airport (802.11b) can be interupted its just the way it works.

So as I see it there is nothing wrong with your ibook that apple can do anything about, but what macwarehouse did you should have acted on. Although now its too late becuause they can just clam you scratched the ibook since you have had it so long.

Everything that happened to you is normal - the Mac Warehouse thing. My iBook had a dead pixel out of the box, sure it pissed me off but oh well it happens.

PseuFighter  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2001, 11:47 AM

I think everyone is missing out on the timetable, so I'm going to post it right now, whether or not it contradicts what I wrote in my first message, this is exactly how things went (The EXACT dates ARE documented by either Apple OR MacWarehouse):

June 20s... My iBook Arrives
Mid June 20s... First call to Apple regarding dead pixels
Early July 1s... Calls Apple because of second dead pixel... After first tech support hints of massaging method (and where I could find the information - NOT THE KBASE), I scour the net for ideas...
Early July 1s... Both myself and parents are treated poorly by Apple Tech Support... I don't want to get into it because you guys will simply say, "No you weren't!!!" -- But when you're told by someone that massaging the pixels could void your warranty and create new ones, you are being treated poorly by Apple tech support. That statement contradicts what the first Technician told me. And when you're told "if you had purchased a Powerbook G4, we might be able to help you," you're again being treated like dirt... That was all by the first Support guru, might I add...
Late July 1s... First call to MacWarehouse regarding pixels (MW Tech Support) -- No help, no support. Answer was "Call Apple" -- When mentioning the scratches, they claim items ship "Brand New," and may have happed while in shipping-- Basically, they wanted none of it.
Mid July 10s... Calls Apple regarding bad battery
Late July 10s... I head off to Macworld... Meet guy at Macworld (Apple Rep) that tells me exactly what to do.
Early July 20s... Battery arrives from Apple
Mid July 20s... One final call to MacWarehouse threatening to take action with credit card company should MW not accept the defects in the product.
Late July 20s... Meets with computer teacher and decides to email Steve Jobs direct
Mid August 1s... Steve Job's office calls back and sends me unwanted Kensington crap as a consolation... I inform the "secretary" that I just want the defects in my product fixed, rather than sent out items of good will. Parents and I both agree again I'm being descriminated beacuse of age... I felt as though certain information was forced out of me by Apple using phrases such as "come on," and "I wont tell," when he had asked me for example to describe who I spoke with at Macworld.
Late August 1s... New iBook battery wont maintain a full charge... At this point, I'm just afraid to call Apple, and will get my parents involved soon...
Early August 10's... Purchased AirPort Base Station and Card... Works find for first hour (within 40ft or so), then signal from 2.4GHz a/v receiver blocks AirPort.
Yesterday... Steve Job's office called back (coincedence???) asking if I had received the free Kensington crap back. The call's on the answering machine, and I have yet to return his call. Instead, I'm going to let my parents call him back, as he left his direct line.

I believe that's everything... Listen people, I've heard the "spec" and "money" stories regarding the LCD displays a million times. I fully understand that one or two bad pixels is within spec, but I don't like the treatment I was given by Apple. In fact, I had done an award-winning project on the effectiveness of LCD displays back in 8th grade. I don't like the fact that Apple hides this information. If it were "within spec," why isn't it listed on the apple.com/ibook Tech Specs page? Instead, it's hidden in the kbase. To me, since I do a LOT of graphic design work in both Photoshop and Fireworks, you see the pixels. And they are an eye-sore. Also, is it right to the consumer, whether it's an industry standard or not, if your friend two houses up the road has a perfect machine, new in the box, and I get the "lemon." How would you feel, especially if you know you're stuck with it for years to come, and the kid up the road lives happily ever after? Well, that's happend to me to in this situation.

Finally, I'm going to post the letter I wrote to Steve Jobs... Maybe by reading it, you'll understand a bit more about my history as an Apple user. I should also note, if I haven't already, that I was questioned by Job's rep. as to whether or not I wrote the letter and how "great it was for a sixteen year old." But in any event, here it is:

---------------------------

Dear Mr. Jobs:

My name is Jarid Maged. I'm 16 years old and have been a long time loyal Apple user. Within the last two months, my parents decided to buy me a laptop for school. I advised them to go with the Dual USB iBook with DVD. They went along with it, and purchased me the machine.

I was very excited when Airborne Express knocked on the door within a week. I immediately took out the iBook and began using it. I was
fascinated with the size and design of the new model. Unfortunately,
within a week I began to have problems with my brand new iBook.

First, I had noticed a dead pixel on the upper right hand quadrant of
the screen. At first it was simply and eye-sore, but then as I engaged
in graphic design work in Adobe Photoshop and Macromedia Fireworks, that little dot was there. So I decided to call Apple tech support, while I had the free year's worth of support. This call went in about a month ago. The man I was on the phone with was no help to getting my situation fixed. First he explained to me how much it would cost Apple to produce a perfect LCD display, something I knew from my 8th grade since project on the effectiveness of LCD technology. Then he asked me where the pixel

was. I told him. He told me then he could not take it back, but instead
instructed me to visit online websites that explain ways of bringing
back a dead pixel to life. He also instructed me to visit the K-Base
article discussing the issue. I went on to explain how I had been
wanting an Apple Powerbook for three years now, and when my parents finally had enough money and when the time was right, they went ahead and purchased the iBook. The technician replied with a comment stating how the iBook isn't a Powerbook G4. That remark really got me frustrated. In disgust, I hung up and looked for ways to bring back a dead pixel.

So I go onto the Macintosh support websites, and I find a technique that will, for the most part, bring dead pixels back to life. It was called
"massaging the pixel." I did exactly what it said, but in fear of creating further problems on my screen, I stopped. Two or so weeks later, a second dead pixel appeared on my screen. At this point, I was twice as angry as with the first one. So once again I rush to call Apple tech support. Immediately I get the same answers from Apple, about how
two dead pixels are "in spec" and there's really nothing they can do
about the problem. They ask me where the second pixel is on the screen, I tell them. Lower left, towards the center. They ask me how far apart the dead pixels are from one another. I tell them. Then they tell me since they're not in the same row, or within 25mm, there's nothing they can do about the situation. Now, not only am I furious, but my parents are aswell. At this point, they're refusing to submit their credit card to MacWarehouse, so the item will be paid for, and as far as I know right now, the item is in dispute. But there's even more, the second tech support representative I had spoken with told me the first one should have never instructed me to look online other than Apple.com for how to bring back a dead pixel. It would actually void my Apple warranty. I had no idea, and that was never explained to me, so again, frustrated, I hung up and was stuck with two dead pixels.

But it gets even worse, a week later, my iBook battery stops gaining a
full charge. Only two, sometimes three of the indication lights on the
base of the machine light up. So again I call back Apple tech support.
At this time, I just want to get rid of the machine. I was really angry
with the product. Thankfully, after debating with both Customer
Relations and Tech Support for over an hour, my parents and myself
convince Apple to send me a new battery. Since the batter arrived a week ago from last Friday, power has been restored in the machine.

After three years of asking my parents for it, this year my parents let
me make the trip from Boston to New York for Macworld. At day one of the expo, I brought my iBook up to an Apple representative. He apologized me for what had gone wrong thus far with my machine, and told me he shouldn't tell me the following the information. He said to call the CEO of Apple. You'll get a secretary. Tell the secretary exactly what has gone wrong with the machine up to the point, and eventually they'll transfer you over to a voice mail. Repeat the story in the voice mail, and within four hours, you'll get a phone call from Gene. I'm not sure who Gene is, I said, but he insured me he'd take care of the problem. I would do this, but since I'm a kid, I don't know how great my story would come across in voice mail. So, instead I decided to email you.

Steve, I'm a long time Apple user. I've been brought up with Apple
computers since I was three. Our first family computer came in when I was in fourth grade, it was a Performa 630CD. Then, after my Bar
Mitzvah, I went ahead and purchased an iMac 266MHz Blueberry machine. My parents purchased a 350MHz indigo iMac last year, and finally this year, my parents got me the iBook. I'm the kid that's been the Apple supporter when everyone around me turned Microsoft. I'm the school's student network technician - the teacher's refer to me as "Macboy." I have three Apple shirts, Apple posters, and just general Apple "stuff" I've purchased over the years from "Apple Designs" (who I guess is now out of business). In the last four years, I've learned how to build websites, and even some computer programming. Finally, this year, I got a job in graphic design with a start-up website. I even built a website dedicated to the rise of the personal computer (http://free.prohosting.com/~cuperca/)... That was built at the time of
the "Pirates" movie, to which I was fortunate to win tickets to an
advance screening of. This past year, I used my iMac to build an award winning Journalism website (shsknight.com), and will be using my Apple products next year in PageMaker as editor of my high school's newspaper.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that I've been a long time loyal
Apple customer, and my family keeps on going back to Apple thanks to its outstanding product line and quality service. For three years, I begged and begged and begged until I had a Powerbook. I told my parents "iBook" only because of the price range. They got it, and it's been hell for us since. Dealing with tech support hasn't been the least fun. I hope by getting my story to the top area of Apple, we can work something out so things are right again with my iBook, whether it's an exchange, a fix - whatever. But thank you for taking the time out to read this. Since this is going to Steve (or I hope), I really should sign off by telling you how much of an inspiration you've been to me over the years, and the more I learn about your life story, the more fascinated I truly am.

I would appreciate it if you could give me a call back at 781-xxx-xxxx
(any hour should be fine)... Thank you again!

Jarid

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2001, 12:11 PM

<STRONG>I think everyone is missing out on the timetable, so I'm going to post it right now, whether or not it contradicts what I wrote in my first message, this is exactly how things went (The EXACT dates ARE documented by either Apple OR MacWarehouse):

June 20s... My iBook Arrives
Mid June 20s... First call to Apple regarding dead pixels
Early July 1s... Calls Apple because of second dead pixel... After first tech support hints of massaging method (and where I could find the information - NOT THE KBASE), I scour the net for ideas...
Early July 1s... Both myself and parents are treated poorly by Apple Tech Support... I don't want to get into it because you guys will simply say, "No you weren't!!!" -- But when you're told by someone that massaging the pixels could void your warranty and create new ones, you are being treated poorly by Apple tech support. That statement contradicts what the first Technician told me. And when you're told "if you had purchased a Powerbook G4, we might be able to help you," you're again being treated like dirt... That was all by the first Support guru, might I add...
Late July 1s... First call to MacWarehouse regarding pixels (MW Tech Support) -- No help, no support. Answer was "Call Apple" -- When mentioning the scratches, they claim items ship "Brand New," and may have happed while in shipping-- Basically, they wanted none of it.
</STRONG>

OK, now that's something different. If you contacted MacWarehouse as per this time frame, I would be infuriated as well. You should basically leave Apple out of this, and just go after MacWarehouse. As long as you contacted within a timely matter, they are responsible. Threaten legal action or something, but let it be known to MacWarehouse that you find what they did unacceptable, and you will not stand for it.

Again, the only thing that should go to Apple is the battery, but according to your letter to Jobs it's already fixed.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

PseuFighter  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2001, 12:21 PM

Jokell, the second battery is bad. I'm hoping it's just the battery, and has absolutely nothing to do with the iBook, and with that, I am going to call Apple. As for MacWarehouse, to my knowledge, payment is in "dispute" with the Credit Card company as MacWarehouse didn't fufill its obligation as an Apple Reseller. It also failed to cover it's return / exchange policy. It was MacWarehouse that infomed me I had to take up my "complaints" with Apple. And since then, the frustrations with Apple had began.

Jarid

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: PseuFighter ]

grimley
Aug 15, 2001, 12:41 PM

Jarid.

A couple of items:

1. You have two dead pixels. I had two dead pixels on the first laptop that I bought, which was a 5300. I was using it for school in a pretty graphics intensive environment. I was annoyed, called Apple, looked around the web and was told that it was a condition of the type of scrren. This was not an inexpensive machine (about $4000 CDN at the time). I lived with it. After a while I didn't notice them anymore.

2. You will get absolutely nowhere by "hanging up in digust," by not getting the names of the people and/or their service ID number to use in later calls, or by waiting beyond the terms of an agreement to demand your money back. People will only treat you with respect if you show them some. I know when I got the iBook I checked that thing inside and out - after confirming that the box hadn't been damaged in transit - to confirm that there were no scratches or visible defects to the machine. My keyboard was a little off - RAM installed by MacWarehouse - but a little adjusting fixed it. If you noticed the scratches at first sight then you should have repacked it up and returned it to MW.

3. Apple's only resposibility is to your battery. It sounds like it might have something to do with the contacts in the machine acting up. Have you tried the Battery Update at Apple Support? Have you reset the Power Manager? If so, you have legitimate reason to send the whole unit in for battery repair.

4. Witholding your parents credit card from MW has nothing to do with Apple support. Not to be an a**hole, but after the first experience with MacWarehouse and the RAM installation, I decided to shop around a little for a smaller Mac-sensitive reseller. Not a warehouse outlet. I bought another from Powermax and was very happy with the service that I recieved there.

Good luck with the battery issue, and I hope you hear from Steve. But I'll be suprised if you get a new machine out of it. You really don't have a case for it. No pun intended, well maybe a little bit.

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: grimley ]

<Deal with it>
Aug 15, 2001, 12:50 PM

I changed my mind, I still think you are spoiled brat. Quit your crying, and enjoy your new iBook already.

PseuFighter  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2001, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by &lt;Deal with it&gt;:
<STRONG>I changed my mind, I still think you are spoiled brat. Quit your crying, and enjoy your new iBook already.</STRONG>
Do the words "Get a life" mean anything to you?
Quit wasting your time calling some 16 year old kid, looking for advice, a spoiled brat. The immature ones always appear unregistered. I feel for your insecurity.

Jarid

<Deal with it>
Aug 15, 2001, 01:28 PM

All I know is you really seem hung up on your age. Sorry but you really do sound like a spoiled brat. Mommy and Daddy bought me this, Mommy and daddy bought me that. I went to MacWorld, my iBook has a scratch. Boo hoo!

Shut the hell up already and either get on the phone with Apple or MW, and stop you f'n complaining.

PseuFighter  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2001, 01:36 PM

Deal With It...
One last time: GET A LIFE!

Why is it that you have to continually coming back to this thread posting such pointless comments. Either you're very jealous of what I have, or there's really something wrong with you -- which apparently you just can't accept.

And you're still, for some unknown reason, either scared to register or afraid to show your true identity. If you keep posting, you're only making more an arse of yourself. But that's your call. I'm sorry for you.

Jarid

<Deal with it>
Aug 15, 2001, 01:42 PM

Oh yes I'm quite jealous. lol

Registered, Unregistered...it doesn't make a bit of difference.

All I see is a whiner! You don't want to take anyone's advice so why don't you just F off.

PseuFighter  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2001, 01:52 PM

That was a very bright remark. Kudos to Deal With It!

Unlike you, other members (oh wait, you're not a member . . .) have given me useful advice, and I will go forward with some of the ideas they've given me.

Grow up buddy. I know you hate it when you mention my age, but I'm guessing you're older than me. Act like it.

Jarid

c0rvette
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2001, 03:03 PM

PsueFighter, let me give you a tip If i may..

By calling any company over the phone, NEVER EVER mention your age. It's just pure stupid. By now, im sure you realise and have first hand experience that if you are not an elder in this society, you are not taken seriously, even compaired to a dumb shiznit adult.

Any time I call any corporate line on the telephone, I always immitate my parents, and even succeed far more than they ever do with any company over the phone.

So next time you have to deal with another company, pretend that you are about 20.
spam, this means nothing

dannyboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2001, 03:31 PM

jarid,

You obviously have very little clue about writing technical documents.
As anyone should know, people like Steve Jobs have better things to do than to read pages and pages of ranting...especially from a 16 year old teen. Now, what you needed to do was to shorten your email and concentrate on the main points rather than ranting for pages on end. I bet when Jobs, or whoever, looked at your email, they immediately dismissed it just because it was too long.

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: dannyboy ]

Titleist
Aug 15, 2001, 03:48 PM

oh jeez, I nearly fell out of my chair reading the last 6 posts, kind of a flame war eh? Okay, while my opinions of the poster are none of the group's business I do think these problems were mishandled. Reality break down: Scratches are gonna happen, deal with those, they will not be so bad if you just ignore them. A used machine has character.

As for dead pixels, this is a REALITY, you get them! I had a Wallstreet with like 4 in a cluster, they didn't bother me because you could only see them with a black backdrop. Look, you're saying you own an iBook and do graphics intensive work, first mistake. A iBook is NOT a machine built for heavy graphics work. A LCD is not color correct, it is not as accurate as a larger CRT, so that's a reality. You have 2 dead pixels, if more show up, that's when you might want to call apple. Hell that's pretty good for a high quality LCD.

Now let's pull off the gloves, I'm a registered user, so I'm not in fear of being called a chicken. But you keep ranting about your age this and age that. Get over that aspect, none of us care! We don't care! Any tech support sucks, I do IT work for a living, it sucks. I was on hold with ADOBE for 3 hours yesterday, it's life. Yes we know we all want a "Perfect computer for the money" but that doesn't happen. Not be mean, but try paying for a top of the line G4 with all the fixens, and have it show up on your door DOA. That happened to me 14 months ago. That's a major issue, fixing little scratches and some errant pixels is lower on Apple's list. You have it easy, I PAID for my computer in full, so it was all up to ME to fix it. I don't want to be polarized either way, but the usefullness of this thread stopped being so when it became a avenue for venting against the process of getting a bad machine.

Fixes:
Scratches, deal with it. Battery, get it replaced. Screen, get a nice external for photoshop work. Jeez, I do photoshop work at an advertisting firm whenever I'm not doing IT work, and you'd be nuts to do graphics full time on an iBook. and I do this for a LIVING! I don't want to get on your bad side here, because I'd be really pathetic for getting into a grudgematch over a topic I really could care less for. Please all of you, grow up, leave the kid alone. And dude, just fix what you can and deal with the rest. You want a real problem, try getting UPS to replace the G4 that they lost for one of the employees.
-----------------------------------
*iBook 500/384MB RAM/DVD/Airport
*G4 500/1GB RAM/130GBHD/DVD

PseuFighter  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2001, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by dannyboy:
<STRONG>jarid,

You obviously have very little clue about writing technical documents.
As anyone should know, people like Steve Jobs have better things to do than to read pages and pages of ranting...especially from a 16 year old teen. Now, what you needed to do was to shorten your email and concentrate on the main points rather than ranting for pages on end. I bet when Jobs, or whoever, looked at your email, they immediately dismissed it just because it was too long.

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: dannyboy ]</STRONG>
Then maybe you could explain to me how I got from Apple a week later, and was told of how great a letter I had written. Figure that out, eh?

Jarid

Titleist
Aug 15, 2001, 06:32 PM

Wow, from flame war to a pissing contest, how funny. Anyone else think this thread should be locked, burned, blasted, detonated? It's outlived it's original purpose, however silly it may be, jeez, it's like 9/10ths of the posts here are worthless, not that I'm saying the one that started all this was usefull in the begining. Please, end the madness, the horror, the horror.
-----------------------------------
*iBook 500/384MB RAM/DVD/Airport
*G4 500/1GB RAM/130GBHD/DVD

Milo Waye
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2001, 02:15 AM

Originally posted by Titleist:
<STRONG>Wow, from flame war to a pissing contest, how funny. Anyone else think this thread should be locked, burned, blasted, detonated? It's outlived it's original purpose, however silly it may be, jeez, it's like 9/10ths of the posts here are worthless, not that I'm saying the one that started all this was usefull in the begining. Please, end the madness, the horror, the horror.</STRONG>
rOckin' great suggestion titleist! It's just verbal quicksand. Second that motion.

grimley
Aug 16, 2001, 10:19 AM

Third-ed.

does that make it official? Although I would love to hear how the call from 'Steve Jobs' turn out, and how the kid recieved a new G5 super thin lightweight concrete laptop.

Milo Waye
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2001, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by grimley:
<STRONG>Third-ed.

does that make it official? Although I would love to hear how the call from 'Steve Jobs' turn out, and how the kid recieved a new G5 super thin lightweight concrete laptop.</STRONG>
Motion carried Out here

dannyboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2001, 10:43 PM

<STRONG>

Then maybe you could explain to me how I got from Apple a week later, and was told of how great a letter I had written. Figure that out, eh?

Jarid</STRONG>
Uh-huh...that's why Jobs never read it and you got a response from some other person. Sorry...end of story.

Fran441
Aug 16, 2001, 11:15 PM

You aren't alone. I had a major problem with my Pismo (PowerBook G3/500) back in October that Apple didn't want to fix. I should mention that I have the AppleCare warranty.

My Pismo started having problems in September, most small at first. First it was some crashes, then loss of Airport connections, followed by 'flickering' USB, refusal to use Power cord when plugged in, etc.

This didn't happen at once, it was a degrading situation. One day, I turned on the machine to see a major problem with the display. It almost looked like it had cracked lines all over it. I had already called Apple a few times where I had recieved instructions to reinstall the OS, reset the Power Manager, zap PRAM etc. This was different, and needed to be fixed.

Since I had AppleCare, I called up and gave the rep. my AppleCare number. Unfortunately, they didn't have me on record as being registered, and my number was the same as someone's iMac in Norway. After much debate, they finally gave me a case number which I have to give out to verify that I have AppleCare whenever I have a problem.

The Apple Rep said that they would send me a new PowerBook G3/500, but that they didn't have any in stock. One would be sent to me when they had some in stock. Plus, if a new PowerBook came out, I was assured I would be getting the newer model equivilent to the one I had. I wasn't thrilled my machine was broken, but there was nothing I could do.

In November, I called back twice with Apple telling me both times that nothing could be done yet. I just had to wait. At the end of December, a rep told me to 'wait a week or two' and that I would have my computer by then. I was very frustrated at this point because I had been without a real machine for months.

Finally, MWSF came and so did the Titanium. I called Apple up to make sure I got my machine. According to the rep, however, they had no record of my case. In fact, they claimed that I had never sent my Pismo in to be looked at!

I was stunned. Angry and stunned. No rep would let me talk to a manager, and no one would even look at my computer. Finally, I emailed Steve Jobs and got a call back from Patrick Eckstrand of Apple customer relations. He listened to my story and said he would see what he could do. He also, did nothing, and after two weeks of dealing with him, he told me that Apple would not only not give me a new machine, but that my machine would cost over $1200 to fix!

Even with AppleCare, they would not cover it.

Finally, the VP of Apple Tech Support who had done some work with my Dad was able to straighten things out to the point where I got my computer fixed for no charge but that was only because I had the AppleCare warranty. A far cry from a new Pismo or Titanium, but having my computer back in working order was all that mattered.

Even now, I still have problems. My power cord needs to be elevated to power the computer. I figure that I'll get it fixed when the AppleStore in Peabody, MA opens. That way, I don't have to give my poor Pismo back to people who can't even remember if they've looked at it before.

My advice to you would be to send the machine back only if you need to. It sucks that you have dead pixels, but after a while, they do become less noticable. I've had a dead pixel on my PowerBook 1400 since 1996. I hardly even notice it now. The battery problem is a little more concerning. If it gets worse, then get it fixed. Otherwise, buy AppleCare. It saved me $1200 in the end because I needed the machine fixed. It could help you too.
Its time for Apple to release a new PDA, but until it does, long live the Newton!

AppleInsider poster since 1998.
[email protected]

Forum Links
Forum Rules