Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is anyone using an iBook as their only computer?

Is anyone using an iBook as their only computer?
kjb
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2001, 09:53 PM

Just wondering if anyone is using the iBook exclusively. I have a Rev. B iMac and a B&W G3 400 and am considering getting rid of one or both and getting an iBook. How do you find the 12.1" screen? I have the iMac set to 1024x768 and it is OK, but I like the 1280x1024 of my PowerMac more. Basically, I'm just wondering if anyone out there depends solely on the iBook.

Kevin (Possibly have cool Macs for sale )

<kelpii>
Aug 14, 2001, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by kjb:
<STRONG>Just wondering if anyone is using the iBook exclusively. I have a Rev. B iMac and a B&W G3 400 and am considering getting rid of one or both and getting an iBook. How do you find the 12.1" screen? I have the iMac set to 1024x768 and it is OK, but I like the 1280x1024 of my PowerMac more. Basically, I'm just wondering if anyone out there depends solely on the iBook.

Kevin (Possibly have cool Macs for sale )</STRONG>

I use my iBook as my main computer, but then I have not come from using 1280 x1024. I did come from a 17" monitor however, and the display on my iBook has not been difficult for me to grow used to at all. It actually looks much better to me.

Milo Waye
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2001, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by kjb:
<STRONG>Just wondering if anyone is using the iBook exclusively. I have a Rev. B iMac and a B&W G3 400 and am considering getting rid of one or both and getting an iBook. How do you find the 12.1" screen? I have the iMac set to 1024x768 and it is OK, but I like the 1280x1024 of my PowerMac more. Basically, I'm just wondering if anyone out there depends solely on the iBook.

Kevin (Possibly have cool Macs for sale )</STRONG>
kgb, er, kjb,
Absolutely! Me for one. The screen is a total gem! It's perfect for my uses. While I do plead guilty to having just ordered a Cube; it won't replace the iBook for everyday use. I've gotten too spoiled not having to sit at a desk. It's for the G4, the CDRW, and ability if needed, to use the Apple 17" CRT ASD sitting covered and unused since a faulty DP 450 was returned a few months ago.

MaxMac
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2001, 10:40 PM

I am using it as my main domestic computer. I have a PC gathering dust in my bedroom, it doesn't get much use now. I work on a PC, but have my iBook on the Cisco WAP there too. I would love to use it for everything, and I may after I install VPC4 (W2k).
I love deadlines. They make a whooshing sound as they pass by.

Macintosh
Banned
Aug 14, 2001, 10:43 PM

No, but I would like to.

RedHerring
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2001, 10:59 PM

I'm using my iBook as my main computer. I, too, have an older PC gathering dust in my room. I've got my speakers, mouse, and printer plugged into my iBook at my desk. When I need to take it with me, I pull out a couple plugs, throw it in my bag, and go. It's great! I have no regrets about buying the iBook as my main computer.
RedHerring: Trying to do more than convert air into carbon dioxide since 1979...

ussfolsom
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2001, 11:35 PM

I'm sure it would replace your iMac quite well. The screen is really phenomenal. I've played with a few older iBooks/Powerbooks and the new iBook screen looks much better IMO. Text is a bit small but if you are used to 1280x1024 it should look about the same (does for me on my 19" monitor). I couldn't use the iBook as my only computer, but that is because I rely on my G4 to render 3-D scenes, edit video and compress those movies. Most everything else I've used my iBook for (in the whole 8 days I've had it ) seems just as snappy as my 400 Mhz G4. Oh and I prefer UT on my G4 too .

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2001, 11:35 PM

I just sold my blue & white G3 on eBay and will be using my dual USB iBook as my primary computer now. Hopefully I'll be able to buy a desktop system and LCD sometime soon, but for now, the iBook should work just fine.
Apple user since 1987

<siggy>
Aug 15, 2001, 12:51 AM

video editing. dvd. ripping and burning. surfing the web out back on my lanai with the smells of schweinelende coming from the kitchen!

good grief! smells like we're having swiss for dinner. and better yet, who'd have thought i could do so much (cooking excluded) with my snowy companion.

ice
combo
384 MB
20 GB

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Aug 15, 2001, 02:02 AM

I am, and it works great for everything from Word processing to photoshop to imovie to FPS gaming. Pity some have defects. (my LCD screen is messed, but I'm sending it in to get it fixed tommorow)

unfaded
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2001, 03:32 AM

I am - I used to have a Beige G3 with a large, large Sony flat-screen CRT monitor (not LCD...the glass was flat, you know). The iBook's screen is phenominally better. Absolutely no regrets here.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2001, 04:06 AM

I think keeping the G3/400's monitor would be wise until you know the iBook's screen is adequate, but otherwise, I see no problems with using the iBook as your primary machine. Good luck, it's a great 'Book.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Aug 15, 2001, 11:28 AM

since my iMac died, i've had to use my graphite iBook as my main mac. this was made a little easier when i boosted it to 320Mb. i'd rather work in 1024x768 than 800x600, but it beats staring at a dead iMac any day ...
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

-Q-
Aug 15, 2001, 12:04 PM

I've been using my iBook as my main machine for months now. And I haven't missed the 17" monitor on my old G3 at all. You shouldn't notice too much of a difference at all....

<lakermrb>
Aug 15, 2001, 12:17 PM

I have been using my iBook as my main computer for 9 months now and it works better than my old 6400 desktop. I have all the portability I want to take it to school with me. (I am a teacher.) Yet, when I get home, I plug in my speakers, power cord, and minihub. I have a keyboard and mouse plugged into the hub, along with my CD burner, printer, and disk drive. So, my iBook works like a desktop at home. Get a good full-coverage warranty, so it anything goes, it's replaced free. I have a four-year warranty. I love the LCD screen; it's easier on the eyes and no radiation. It is smaller than my 15" monitor on the 6400, but I like it. Resolution is 800 x 600 and is just fine for all that I do. I absolutely love this machine! With the USB port, I can add anything I want: microphone, scanner, etc. It is very expandable. Certainly the portability is a key component. I often take it to my grad classes and to the library and I use it at school everyday.

EmAn
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2001, 03:11 PM

Ever since I got my iBook back in late June it's been my main computer for the most part. The screen is great and it took me no time to adjest to the smaller size.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Aug 15, 2001, 06:59 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 22, 2004 at 12:46 AM. )

Skaught24
Aug 16, 2001, 07:09 PM

I only own one computer now, and it's the new iBook!

I have used PC's for years, then after using a Mac at work for 3 years, I decided that the Mac was the way to go. So, I sold my custom built pc to my parents, and purchased the iBook.

The screen is almost perfect. I used to think that the 17" monitor on my PC was flawless. But, after a few months with the iBook's screen, I had the opportunity to go a use the PC I sold to my parents.

Oh my gosh! the screen on the PC seemed to flicker, and wasn't as sharp as I remembered .

Anyway, the ibook suits my needs (mostly). Sure, those long nights of playing Half-life and Counter strike over the net are gone. But as a graduate student, it's worth the sacrifice for the price, portability, and convenience.

C'ya
"10 percent of computer users are Mac users, but remember,
we are the top 10 percent." - Douglas Adams 1952-2001

funkboy
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2001, 07:35 PM

My new iBook is great, and really does everything I need it to do, with the exception of an over-abundance of disk space and the trackpad.

If you want to draw on your iBook with the trackpad... well, no, you just can't. You'll either need to purchase some external mouse or drawing pad, or use a standard desktop with a mouse/pen.

I myself have quite a few files and just don't have enough space on the iBook to fit them all on - however, most of these are not necessary, and all the files I really need fit well on the iBook. Many of my mp3s stay on my beige G3, though, and I wirelessly stream them through any standard mp3 player (they play over a network just fine, don't need to try and setup any sort of streaming server, just grab them in the Finder and put them into iTunes/Audion/whatever mp3 player) .

If I used my iBook as my only machine, this is what I'd get for it:
- external firewire hard drive (or maybe even a CD-R would do)
- optical mouse and/or a Wacom tablet
- get a printer that can be networked onto an ethernet network (so as to be able to print wirelessly)

But hey, get the iBook, you'll absolutely love it (especially the screen! that was my only thought before I got it, but I just love the screen!)

nyr44
Aug 17, 2001, 11:08 PM

Hi. I use my 2001 iBook as my one and only computer. I have found I do not need anything more. It is a constant performer. CodeWarrior Pro 5, Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, my iBook handles it all. Really well. The screen is really great; plenty of space.

One suggestion I could make to you, there is a company called PowerMax (www.powermax.com) that may help. They take Macs in for credit for new computers. I traded in my old Powerbook G3 333, which covered 2/3 of the cost. It is a good way to get rid of old machines, getting new equipment, and not to have to deal with finding a buyer or using actions. Just an idea. Good luck.

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2001, 12:07 AM

I only use my iBook!

And have lots of stuff for it!

I think if you have only one computer it should be a laptop. after all then you can move your computer around a lot

one day I might get an imac

l u p u s
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2001, 08:06 AM

I use my iBook as primary computer as well.
My old PowerMac 8200 is now used as mail and hotline server.

The only thing I need is the AirPort - so I can stuff the server away - administrating everything via the iBook -yeaa.

1024 X 768 is fine with me too..

/lupus
Well sir, don't be afraid it's not a real mouse - now click that button!

Skaar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2001, 09:19 AM

I've been using my iBook with Airport as my main computer for the last couple of months. I have a 1GHz Athlon PC that I rarely use anymore( games are now all I use it for), before getting the iBook I used the PC for DV and Photoshop. Now everything is done on the iBook as it's quicker and nicer.
iMac Core Dou 17" 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM + 20" Dell Widescreen Display
15" PowerBook 1.3GHz

pat++
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2001, 11:50 AM

I use my iBook full time, and the screen is so good that I don't
feel it necessary to plug it to my Sony 17" Trinitron monitor

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2001, 02:48 PM

I have an iMac DV/SE (Oct. 1999) at home that I've been meaning to replace with a PBG4. But who can find the discretionary funding?

So I've borrowed a friend's first-generation blueberry iBook for the week I'm about to spend in Virginia. I've been enthralled with it in the few days since I got it that I haven't touched the iMac. This is an absolutely wonderful computer, and it's the first laptop I've ever had in my possession (maybe I won't give it back ). I can easily see how one could use this as their only computer.

mmarcos
Aug 18, 2001, 04:04 PM

I have been using my iBook as my main computer for about 6 weeks now. I am extremely pleased with it. I have lent my ThinkPad 600E to a friend in dire need of a PC. I loved that laptop but I like the iBook more. The design, the screen, the cdrw, OS X. The price/performance/satisfaction ratio is tremendous.

The worst thing I have found on it is the trackpad. For one thing, I do not like trackpads, but separately, I believe it is tool large. Yes, I have become accustomed to it but I do not like it, though. The speakers on the iBook don't substitute for headphones or good speakers. My ctrl key has come off a couple of times while using Emacs (of course!). Maybe some would consider the difficulty of upgrading the HD another weakness.

Miguel
Are you spontaneously enthusiastic about everyone having everything you can have? - Buckminster Fuller

mmarcos
Aug 18, 2001, 04:20 PM

One more thing: Those who use OS X right now in their main computer must be patient. Me, for example.
Are you spontaneously enthusiastic about everyone having everything you can have? - Buckminster Fuller

<marjamr>
Aug 18, 2001, 10:03 PM

I have the dual USB iBook connected to a Sony 15" external LCD display, the Apple Pro keyboard, and a Logitech cordless mouse. It makes a great main computer this way and when I want to go mobile, I just unplug the extras and off I go. I have an airport card installed and the Airport Base Station. I also have an iBook SE FW and an iMac SE DV. They all network over the Airport. The Sony LCD is even sharper and clearer than the iBook screen. I have an OWC on the go Mercury FW hard drive on order when I hook that up to the iBook set up I'll have lots of space to store my digital photos. With the external LCD connected to the dual USB iBook you can operate the iBook with the top closed in OS 9.1 but not in OS X.

todrain
Senior User
Aug 19, 2001, 01:24 AM

My iBook Dual USB is my only Mac. (I have a PC since I have to sometimes do some work on it, but it mostly just keeps the cat warm)

It's a great little unit, and has just about everything you could want in a desktop.

In fact, the last desktop Mac I had was a Mac IIsi. Since then, I've only used portables.

Powebook 180 - 1992-1995
Powerbook Duo 280c- 1995-1996
&lt;&lt;dark times with only a PC -1996-1999&gt;&gt;
iBook Rev A - 1999-2001

Now that the Quicksiler G4s are out, however, I might have to get my iBook a Mac companion....

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2001, 02:45 AM

Like I said, since I sold my G3, my iBook is now my only computer [in use]. Some people have talked about using an external keyboard and mouse with their iBook at home, but I'm trying that right now and it isn't working very well. The external mouse is great, but when I put the iBook far back enough on my desk for my keyboard and wirst pad to go in front of it, the screen is too far from my face for small text to be easy to read. I have 20/15 vision, but it just isn't near as crisp as when you have the screen 10' closer. So I guess I'll stick with the iBook keyboard. :-/
Apple user since 1987

<free lunch>
Aug 19, 2001, 07:10 PM

iBook as main computer depends on what you want to do with it. The main issue would be screen resolution.

I currently use my iBook SE (800x600res) for everything since I do not have access my G4.
Wordprocessing, email, browsing is all cool. Photoshop, Quark etc.(I earn a living that way) is definitely not. It's doable but not fun.
Now, 1024x768 on the current crop is better. That should suffice for most tasks. Still, there's not really enough space to comfortably run any type of software with multiple "palette" windows.

From what I hear and read performance for 99% of the common tasks does not seem to be a problem. It wasn't really on any of the Powerbooks with G3 processors from my own experience. The only real bummer seems gaming where the ATI chipset doesn't REALLY deliver.

Advice: For general use, an iBook will do fine. Probably even more than fine.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Aug 21, 2001, 07:40 AM

anyway, we seem to have forgotten something here:
the iBook runs pr0n just fine, so what's the problem!?
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Forum Links
Forum Rules