Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > av output

av output
whodisbe
Aug 24, 2001, 11:22 PM

I finally got ahold of an AV cable for my ibook, and its awesome. I used it to watch DVDs in my bedroom the other day, and my only problem is that it isn't S-Video. Does anyone know if there are any Svideo avcables out for the iboook2, or if that is even something being considered?

<siggy>
Aug 25, 2001, 05:56 AM

absolutely nothing. but, the av/S difference while dvd viewing is miniscule.

it doesn't hurt to keep an eye out for any development, though. perhaps a consideration with the transparent g5 ice...

ice
combo
384 MB
20 GB

iBook Tom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2001, 09:29 AM

No S-video cable at the moment from Apple, but it would be nice to have.

I know that the AV Out cable is the same used by many camcorders to output their signals to TVs. Perhaps there is a camcorder cable out there on the market with S-video that will work.

Tom

Taloston Man
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2001, 10:41 AM

Speaking of camcorder AV cables, I decided to rename myself El Cheapo, and not spring for the Apple-branded AV cable, instead using the one that came with my Sony Digital8.
The Digital8 cable fits into the AV port of the iBook VERY unstably. To actually get a signal on the TV I had to reboot into OS9 (couldn't get Anything in OSX), then position the cable so that it was about 3/4 of the way pushed in. I had to hold it there or it would pop out, and for about 20 glorious seconds, I saw the display of my iBook on the television screen.
Then after that it went black, and I think I may have fried the cable or something because no matter how far I push it in or coax it into the AV port, I get absolutely nothing on the TV, not even a black squiggly disturbance line screen, which is what I was getting while experimenting earlier.
All I get is a blue screen, never any fluctuation at all.
I guess that's what I get for not shelling out 19 dollars....

Whoops....
Trevor Haldenby
www.ExposedBrain.com/trevor
MacBook 2.0 GHz / 2 gigs RAM | 60GB vidiPod, Shuffle

ussfolsom
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2001, 10:39 PM

I tried the same thing with the cable that came with my Canon ZR-10. The results were just as poor, but my port hasn't been fried yet. You would think Apple would make it a standard port, there is no way that cable costs $20, probably closer to $3. What a rip-off.

mkoz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2001, 11:26 PM

&gt; You would think Apple would make it a standard port

is there a standard?

joe
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2001, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by mkoz:
<STRONG>&gt; You would think Apple would make it a standard port

is there a standard?</STRONG>
Yes. But it takes up more space than Apple's a/v port as the video and audio are seperate. Also, the video ports by themselves are physically larger: S-Vid, composite / RCA. Still, I'd rather the standard ports. They don't take up that much more space......joe

ussfolsom
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2001, 06:44 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of the mini-jack port. Sony and Canon both have them and they look like the one on the iBook, but apparently they are different. I've never tried my Canon cable on a Sony, maybe they are all different.

The Emperor's Bad Teeth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2001, 07:09 PM

How about FireWire to RCA?

ekserb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2001, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by The Emperor's Bad Teeth:
<STRONG>How about FireWire to RCA? </STRONG>
Good question. Is there a breakout box available (small, inexpensive, Mac compatible - preferably OS X) that allows us to connect any RCA or S-video peripherals to the iBook via the Firewire port? I still use an old non-Firewire camcorder and I would love to be able to input from or output to it from my Icebook without upgrading to a new camcorder.

Any suggestions? Or should I start a new thread?

iBook dual USB, 384MB, 10GB, combo, OS X 10.0.4
Do ... or do not. There is no try. --Yoda

ussfolsom
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2001, 10:37 AM

There are a few of them, but they all cost around $300 - $400. In the 8/2001 issue of Macworld they review four of them. Too bad they are so expensive, they sound great otherwise.

models:
Sony DVMC-DA2 (www.sel.sony.com - I think they sell it at the Apple Store too)
Formac Studio (www.formac.com)
Dazzle Multimedia - Hollywood DV-Bridge (www.dazzle.com)
Power R - Director's Cut (www.powerr.com)

Forum Links
Forum Rules