Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Snow Leopard - which printer drivers will not work?

Snow Leopard - which printer drivers will not work?
Veltliner
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2009, 03:19 AM

I just read this:

WARNING: Apple is silently abandoning their older style Tioga printer drivers, and is moving towards Linux shareware CUPS drivers. This means some printer drivers will not work in Snow Leopard or have bugs, and may never be fixed. This is not specific to any one application but will be a problem across the board. //
I read it here:
http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/

What does this mean for those who are still using older printers?

I never even heard of "Tioga" drivers.

I have a Hewlett-Packard 6MP. It's been a while since I got myself the OS X driver for this printer...

eddieck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2009, 03:34 AM

Tioga looks to be very old (back from the OS X 10.0) days. I'd say if you have a fairly recent printer (last 3 or 4 years?) you're probably OK. A quick Google search indicates your 6MP should be supported by CUPS.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2009, 02:33 PM

Linux shareware CUPS
Oh teh ignorance. CUPS is neither Linux nor shareware.

alfredo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2009, 08:00 PM

HP 5600 series doesn't work. Would CUPS do the trick for me?

zerostar
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2009, 09:05 PM

I have a Xante CL30 and had to use IP printing mode and manually select the CL30 ppd... but its working just fine now!

alfredo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2009, 09:44 PM

I've tried every trick. The 5600 series is shown, but the job will show for a second in the que, then disappear.

Will I have to go CUPS?

Eden Aurora
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2009, 10:31 PM

I have a Canon MX850 and i connect it via an ethernet cable (on my home network). After installing SL, the Canon IJ Network Scan Utility was missing. This is needed to "see" the printer via Ethernet Cable thru the network router.

I reinstalled the IJ Network Scan Utility and and the Printer driver from the Canon Website and now the Printer works fine. So snow leopard works with it, but you have to reload these drivers AND then reselect the printer.
I eat turtle soup for breakfast

alfredo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2009, 10:38 PM

I see the software, but it seems to have some problems.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2009, 01:24 AM

There is a list of supported printers here.

Funny a not so old HP DeskJet 5150 is not listed whereas a jurassic HP 550C is… I mean, how are you even supposed to connect that old printer to the computer?.

MacTheRiverRat
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2009, 02:18 AM

After reinstalling my HP deskjet 3940 software- I got it to work.

So far software from Stock-spy.com doesn't work but I have email their tech support and sent the some info that they had me enter into my Terminal and then send to them. They said they are working on a upgrade and soon will be out with it.

Like any up grade there's going to be issues with something.
( Last edited by MacTheRiverRat; Aug 29, 2009 at 02:41 AM. )
Life of working on a Mississippi River Towboat
Apple 2, Apple 2e, Mac 128-k , PowerPC 6115, Imac 233, ibook 900 Mhz
Now an Aluminum 13" 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB SDRAM

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2009, 02:52 AM

Tioga was being phased out 4 years ago. Whoever wrote that doesn't know what they're talking about.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

OreoCookie
Aug 29, 2009, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
I have a Hewlett-Packard 6MP. It's been a while since I got myself the OS X driver for this printer...
You have a Postscript printer -- all postscript printers are supported. In the worst case, you have to install the ppd file by hand (which you don't have to do, your printer's ppd is included).

Guys, why so much fear?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Thorzdad
Aug 29, 2009, 11:19 AM

Here's my situation, which is just enough of a step out of normal to make me worry...

We have an HP Photosmart C4580 for my daughter's Macbook at school. She prints wirelessly to the HP. However, it's not set-up on a regular wireless network. Essentially, the HP is set-up as its own base station/network, and the MacBook transmits directly to it, and not over any home or campus wireless network. To print, she has to leave the campus wireless network and join the HP. We have it set-up this way because we could not get wireless printing to work any other way. An HP tech walked me through this set-up and darned if I can recall how it was done. It's certainly not discussed anywhere in the printer documentation.

I'm hoping, when I get around to upgrading her MacBook to 10.6 (which will probably not be an immediate thing) this non-standard set-up doesn't get buggered or, somehow, become impossible. I note that 10.6 comes with drivers for the C4500 series AIO's. Hopefully, that's a good thing. On the other hand, if 10.6 overwrites the current drivers and settings for the printer, I fear I may not be able to get it back to where I have it...again, because it's a bit of a non-standard wireless setup.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2009, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
You have a Postscript printer -- all postscript printers are supported. In the worst case, you have to install the ppd file by hand (which you don't have to do, your printer's ppd is included).
Thanks. That's good news.

UBALDI
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2009, 03:40 PM

I have a HP Color LaserJet 2600n. After installing 10.6, it recognizes my printer but won't print. I went to Apple support and was told too bad. They couldn't do anything--I have to go to HP for support. I did; was told that they may or may not create new drivers for Mac for this printer.
baldi

alfredo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2009, 06:49 PM

I wish HP would come out and say yea or nay about supporting their products. If they intend on supporting our printers, they should give us a timeline. I can wait a week or so, then I will have to buy another printer, hopefully from a company that cares about their products and customers.

alfredo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2009, 06:51 PM

Where can I find the PPD file for my particular printer?

HP Officejet 5610 all in one

pat++
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2009, 03:09 AM

To all the people who are having problems with printers (connected wirelessly). I had an issue with my DeskJet 6800 which was showing in the list, but not recognized (ie not driver found). The trick is to connect the printer with USB once, go to Software Update in system preferences, and check for updates. Snow leopard will install updated HP drivers. After this it should work fine if you add the printer again wirelessly.

UBALDI
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2009, 11:00 AM

To Pat++
That's all good and well unless, as in my case, HP has no new drivers and refuses to commit to creating them. In fact, to some people, they said to "buy a new printer."
baldi

alfredo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2009, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by UBALDI View Post
To Pat++
That's all good and well unless, as in my case, HP has no new drivers and refuses to commit to creating them. In fact, to some people, they said to "buy a new printer."
I have been asking a simple question of HP: will I ever be able to use my OfficeJet 5610 with 10.6. As yet I've gotten no reply.

Now I need to know what printers work so I can go out and buy one and send this printer to GoodWill.

I've always held HP up as an example of a good PC maker. I have my doubts now.

OreoCookie
Sep 2, 2009, 12:21 PM

Go for a Canon, they make nice printers. And all of them are on the list of officially supported printers. I'd probably go for the MX860 which has a wireless interface, duplex and is sturdier than its smaller brothers. But prices start at ~$100. A general piece of advice: don't go for the cheapest one, take at least one model up (the difference is only $10 in this case).

alfredo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2009, 12:38 PM

I was think Canon or Epson. I even looked at a Brother Laser Printer.

OreoCookie
Sep 2, 2009, 01:00 PM

Avoid Epson. BTW, I assumed you wanted another inkjet.

alfredo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2009, 01:19 PM

I do little printing beyond text, so my needs are not so great. Another inkjet would be fine.

TribeLeader
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2009, 11:23 PM

I'm getting ready to update my (and my wife's) MBPs to SL. Unfortunately, it looks like my 6-year-old printer (HP 5150) is not supported.

However, I read elsewhere that someone was able to "force" SL to choose "HP Deskjet 3822" (Gutenprint v5.2.3). Since I've never had to "force" the OS to accept a driver, what exactly does that mean? How do you do it?

alfredo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 6, 2009, 11:31 PM

Not sure what they mean by forcing. the 5610 had drivers in SL, but they didn't work. Try the latest driver on the HP site to see if it works. Be sure to uninstall all HP drivers and applications, before installing the new from the HP site.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2009, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by TribeLeader View Post
I read elsewhere that someone was able to "force" SL to choose "HP Deskjet 3822" (Gutenprint v5.2.3).
I have read the 5150 works with the HP Deskjet 5400 series driver.

Open the "Print & Fax" utility in System Preferences, on the printer list, select your HP, go to "Options & Supplies…" change the driver for the printer to HP Deskjet 5400 series by clicking the 'Driver' tab/section, such driver must be listed in the 'Print Using' pop-up menu.

It better works, cause HP is not providing a driver for it. For shame.

TribeLeader
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2009, 07:33 AM

Thanks. I'll see how it works.

I'll eventually (soon?) replace the printer anyway, but I'd rather do it by choice. :-)

64stang06
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2009, 12:13 PM

I have an all-in-one HP F340 that required me to install the drivers from HP's website. My Canon iP2600 worked perfect with the included driver from the SL software update.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

TribeLeader
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2009, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by TribeLeader View Post
I'm getting ready to update my (and my wife's) MBPs to SL. Unfortunately, it looks like my 6-year-old printer (HP 5150) is not supported.

However, I read elsewhere that someone was able to "force" SL to choose "HP Deskjet 3822" (Gutenprint v5.2.3). Since I've never had to "force" the OS to accept a driver, what exactly does that mean? How do you do it?
Ha. I just updated to SL and, interestingly, it found a driver for my HP 5150 on its own (a generic one, perhaps). Anyway, it works and I hardly had to do anything. Cool.

buffman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2009, 11:48 AM

I'll try the USB connection (the iMac is on another floor than the printer), but I did try re-installing the 10.6 print drivers and the HP installer..neither worked.
After I installed the 10.6 drivers off the disk, I did get an Software Update for the drivers (didn't happen with the MBP), but that didn't help.

Radioflyer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2009, 02:35 PM

I have an ancient Apple Laserwriter Select (circa 1988). It runs great, prints and has FAX capabilities. Its still accessible from a PPC iMac so I believe its not the printer nor the network.

After upgrading to Snow Leopard on an Intel iMac its no longer accessible. There are no printer options listed in the Printer Preferences and I'm at a loss to figure out what to do, any of the related Snow Leopard help screens assume there are options to selects from and my Laserwriter is listed in the ones Apple still supports.

What am I missing here???

OK figured it out ......... print sharing works on a PPC iMac. Thanks Apple for screwing up AppleShare-Ethernet
( Last edited by Radioflyer; Sep 11, 2009 at 05:03 PM. Reason: got it !)
Cheers
RadioFlyer

buffman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2009, 08:46 PM

OK...USB connection works fine, but I can't get them to connect wirelessly. The printer sees the Time Capsule, but I'm not linking up. Print Share is on, though I'm not seeing Bonjour. Any other suggestions? I have 4 computers throughout the house that link to the printer.

alfredo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2009, 11:56 PM

HP have posted 10.6 printers on their site.

No scanner for my all in one, but the printer works.

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2009, 01:16 AM

FWIW some older drivers work better then new ones.
I rolled my HP P1005 back from v1.0.6 to v1.0.4 and it now works. Go figure.
URL I used was HP LaserJet P1005 Full Feature Software and Driver v.1.0.4 download for Mac OS X

buffman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2009, 08:34 AM

No update for the 7410. I did try the older driver, but it didn't work.
17" MacBook Pro early 2009
iMac 24" late 2007
eMac
17" Powerbook G4 2003

Buffman
not so fresh faced

MacTheRiverRat
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2009, 03:52 PM

When hitting the print button see if any other printers come up. It may just be your software is loaded but the printer hasn't been selected yet.

If I can get my CHEAP wal-mart $49.95 HP deskjet 3930 to work it can be done.
Life of working on a Mississippi River Towboat
Apple 2, Apple 2e, Mac 128-k , PowerPC 6115, Imac 233, ibook 900 Mhz
Now an Aluminum 13" 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB SDRAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules