Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > CD or DVD

CD or DVD
acidchicken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2001, 02:31 AM

I have a DVD iMac, hoping that DVD software would be a standard thing and I have never used the DVD drive for anything but 2 movies. I have a stand alone DVD player. Do you think the DVD drive in the ibook is a neccessary upgrade? Sure it would be nice to watch a movie in a car or on a flight, but is there a real purpose other than movies?
WWF rules

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2001, 02:42 AM

I know what you mean acid.

Thats exactly why I was comfortable buying an indigo ibook last xmas -which is basically the same specs as the new release ibook cd model, but with a 366mhz processor, 1 usb port and 800x600 resolution.

I saved $400 US at the time by getting that model.

In retrospect, had I had the cash, I would have got the graphite. model.

If I was buying an ibook tomorrow, Id get the dvd one probably.

Its almost certain that EVENTUALLY all software will move to dvd - at least for games because of the large storage space of the format. You can fit a hell of a lot of info on 1 dvd disc.

So, if I was buying tomorrow, i would spend the xtra on the dvd model over the cd model. Look at the specs, its only $200 odd more and for that you get 64mb extra ram as well.

I spose in the end it depends how long it will be until you plan upgrading. If you are thinking 3 years Id definitely get the dvd. If you will upgrade in 18 months or so, maybe its not necessary.
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

Voch
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2001, 08:55 AM

I bought the DVD model with the hopes that some future drive (or current, with the Apple SuperDrive/Pioneer DVR-103...I'm a little foggy on that) would be able to write a DVD that I could read with the DVD-ROM drive. I also watch the occasional movie and use the iBook as a portable DVD player sometimes.

Voch

Phoible
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2001, 12:32 PM

About three years ago, I was at CompUSA helping someone buy a computer. DVD was available, but only on the higher-end models. I told them that DVD was pointless, but the salesman waved the Encarta DVD(I think it was '98) around. He said that all software would soon be on DVD. Well, it isn't. A lot of stuff that comes on multiple CDs is also available on DVD, but there still isn't that much of it. When I got my next computer, I got a CD-ROM. In fact, the only reason that I have a DVD now is because I wanted a slot-loading drive (they are cool), and a slot-loading CD is almost as much as the DVD. My iBook has a DVD, but that is for watching movies. No one is in a hurry to move to DVD (when the media gets cheaper, maybe people will start to move).

iMan
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2001, 01:02 PM

Hello Everybody,

I would go with the DVD model.
I am gonna order a DVD by the middle of the month. Hopefully supply will be better by then.
Nick Fleming
[email protected]

Ti PowerBook - 1000/512/60
iPod 30 GB

jace
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2001, 05:43 PM

I would advise you to get the dvd for two reasons:
I understand that you only ever watched 2 movies on your imac dvd, but on the ibook, movies are a whole different experience. the lcd screen looks better than the imac's crt (I.M.O) and there is nothing like taking that thing to a picnic, or to somewhere boring (dentist office, mall with wife...ect) where you know you will be waiting for a while. there is just something really cool about being "out" somewhere and being able to pop a movie in. Plug in some headphones and you are set!
secondly, and this is just speculation, but in a year or two, when apple comes out with some giga-cool (even better than mega-cool ) laptop that you just HAVE to get, I think it will be easier to sell the dvd than it will be to sell the cd-rom. I don't know if these and other factors will be enough to justify the extra expense for you, but would you rather get it and not need it (as with your imac), or possibly spend the next year kicking yourself?
I have a friend (p.c user) who kicks himself every time he goes to get a game and he can only find it on dvd. I don't think this will matter as much when we talk about the ibook, because unless you b.t.o, the you have a 10gig hard drive. By the time your system and applications are installed, you don't have a whole lot of space left anyway. But for the ability to sit in bed and watch the rest of a movie that I started downstairs, or when the kids are watching blues clues or whatever, or when I'm grilling out back....AAWWW you just have to get the dvd!! so cool!

[ 08-02-2001: Message edited by: jace ]

[ 08-02-2001: Message edited by: jace ]

ussfolsom
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2001, 06:36 PM

If you can easily afford it then get the DVD model, if not get the CD one. I couldn't, so I got the CD model.

I really don't see the need for a DVD drive. I've got one in my G4 tower so if I get anything on DVD I can always transfer it from one computer to the other. Movies? I like to watch movies that I haven't seen before. If I'm traveling I can't rent a movie, so I'd be stuck watching something I own. Not a horrible thing, but I get tired of my DVD collection after a while. Games are enough to keep me busy during an airplane ride.

For me I don't see a point in having the option in my iBook, especially when it would have stretched my budget.

[ 08-02-2001: Message edited by: ussfolsom ]

<siggy>
Aug 2, 2001, 06:38 PM

by all means, if you're straddling the fence at all about it, get the dvd model. you'll amaze & astonish your friends (or just the passenger sitting next to you). and after all, you can't just lug your imac or your stand-alone player (needs a monitor) with you &--POOF--watch a movie wherever your heart desires!

besides resell value, do it for the reason you're getting an ibook in the first place. (hint: portability)

ibook
combo
384 MB
20 GB

finboy
Aug 2, 2001, 07:05 PM

Think of it like this:
You can ALWAYS get an external Firewire or USB Cd burner, but you can NEVER get an external DVD drive, ever.

Plus, as someone pointed out, eventually there will be data DVDs that we can store whole volumes of stuff on (like 2.4G per side, or something).

ussfolsom
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2001, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by finboy:
<STRONG>but you can NEVER get an external DVD drive, ever.</STRONG>
What are you talking about? I don't know about just for reading, but I know you can get an external Superdrive in a Firewire case. By the time data DVDs become common the Superdrive will only be a couple hundred dollars.

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2001, 10:19 PM

You get an extra 64 MB ram, and a DVD drive for only $200 more. Now that sounds like a deal.

Mike for Mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2001, 02:45 PM

Order it through MacWarehouse, get the CD, they give you the 128 meg on top of the 64, and spend your $200 on a CD/RW drive. Problemo solvedo!
"With the thoughts you'd be thinkin', you could be another Lincoln, if...."

-Q-
Aug 7, 2001, 03:12 PM

A DVD drive makes more sense on a portable than a desktop machine. If you can afford it, get the DVD drive. If you travel, it will come in handy when you're sitting on the plane. I'm always renting DVDs for trips (so I don't have to re-watch everything in my collection when I travel). And someday, things will move to DVD...

Outpost has the DVD for $1495 with free 128 MB of RAM and no tax and free ground shipping. So you can find a good deal for it out there...

<siggy>
Aug 7, 2001, 06:59 PM

there's nothing like the world slowing down all around you & the long jealous gazing as you relax with your friendly, translucent portable.

dvd? sure.
burn some u2? sure.
make a movie? oh, so easy...

ice
combo
384 MB
20 GB

ATC Ken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2001, 03:37 AM

Have to chime in on the side of the DVD model also...as I did some hard thinking on which model to get. I actually discounted the CD model right off the bat as one reason we all get the iBook is portability and being able to watch a DVD movie while away from home is the ultimate in "being portable". I didn't consider the CD-RW model for the same reason but was close to getting the combo drive version. In retrospect, if you have the money, I'd actually recommend the combo version just for simplicity sake. I had an external firewire CD-RW so I figured the DVD model would be enough (which is really has been) but the combo version is just plain cool! Not sure how much "burning" I'd have done on the road anyway.
So, bottom line - I'm happy I bought the DVD version. The combo version would have been nice to have but with the $300 I saved by not getting that model I upgraded my RAM instead to 384 MB and bought a Road Tools swivel stand and some other accessories.

Ken

iBook DVD, 10GB, 384MB
2.5 Ghz MacBook Pro, 2GB Ram, 250 GB HD...major upgrade replacement for my recently sold iBook.

1.25 Ghz iMac, 17", 768 MB Ram, 160GB HD, SuperDrive, Airport Extreme..still a great desktop machine!

Forum Links
Forum Rules