Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Cannot Use Boot Key Options on Startup?

Cannot Use Boot Key Options on Startup?
drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Sep 13, 2010, 01:24 PM

Hi everyone,

I am not sure if this is in the right area. Anyways, I just got a new iMac (Core i3) which came with the aluminum bluetooth keyboard. I installed Boot Camp, and wanted to use the Option key at startup to choose my OS. I found this doesn't work with the supplied keyboard. I tested this with an older plastic bluetooth keyboard and a USB keyboard. Both of those allowed me to use boot keys. Is this a known issue or perhaps something defective in the aluminum keyboard?
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

P
Sep 13, 2010, 04:23 PM

Known issue. Actually it works (after initial pairing) if you don't install Boot camp or if you simply have the Mac partition selected to boot from. Simply put, always leave the computer set to boot into Mac OS X and press option when you want to go to Windows.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Sep 15, 2010, 11:48 AM

Thank you for the information. I'm at least happy it is not a defect and having to deal with that. Now that Parallels 6 is out, I may try that instead actually!
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules