Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Serial Numbers in System Profiler gone...=(

Serial Numbers in System Profiler gone...=(
oeyvind
Senior User
Jul 21, 2001, 10:01 PM

Hi there,

I think I zapped my PRAM way too many times while debugging a problem on my TiBook... now I noticed that the serial numbers and some other info (think like Sales Order Number) is gone...=(

Is there any way to reprogram it back in OpenFirmware???

Here's what I meant:

Screen Shot (TiBook screen size)

Yes, it's 9.2 (from a QuickSilver)...

TIA,

�yvind

P.S. Moderators: sorry if I post in a wrong section.

[ 07-21-2001: Message edited by: oeyvind ]

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2001, 10:04 PM

That's a huge pic, a link or smaller image would be appreciated

<Adam>
Jul 23, 2001, 06:27 AM

If I read your post right, you copied System 9.2 from one of the brand new QuickSilver machines to a PowerBook? That's most likely your problem right there: Apple says 9.2 is only designed to work on the QuickSilver machines (at least for now), so that would explain why the system profiler seems unable to recognize a number of aspects of your machine.

Since you seem determined to hack the system, I'd say you have two choices: (1) You can leave 9.2 installed and see if you notice any significant performance increases. When the TiBook was introduced with a new ROM file, there were reports on xlr8yourmac.com that people got better performance from other machines by manually copying the new ROM file to them. If you do see anything like that, I'm sure the folks at xlr8yourmac.com would love to know. (2) You can play it safe and reinstall your old system. Odds are the only difference between 9.1 and 9.2 is support for some obscure new hardware in the QuickSilver machines, and since Apple hadn't intended 9.2 to run on PowerBooks, the software might be missing something your machine needs... like power management support.

Your call. Good luck!

Toinou
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2001, 06:44 AM

Well.....
Did your computer have a serial number when you bought it ?
Did you send it for repair ?
That's what happened to me and to many other that sent their beloved Macintosh back for repair.
It also happened to some people that bought refurished Macs.
Looks like the spare motherboards they got there are serial number free.
So don't worry guy, enjoy your Ti and OS 9.2 !
BTW : 9.2 is a little faster, sucks up less ram, and is more stable than OS 9.1.
@+

Toinou

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2001, 11:56 AM

after problems with 3rd party ram and several parameter ram zaps, i had lost my serial#, too. didn't really bother me and forgot about it.

now, when i saw this thread, i remembered this, opened system profiler and... voil�, my serial# is back.

i guess this is one of these moments in which you don't even *want* to know.

oeyvind  (op)
Senior User
Jul 23, 2001, 09:36 PM

wow... you mean the serial number just happened to come back by itself?

I don't mind not having the SNs in System Profiler... it's just better to look for it there that taking out battery and see the bar code and SNs...=)

Anyway it's only a cosmestic thing... I can very well live with it... beside 9.2 is a better classic OS than 9.1 anyway....=)

Cheers!

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2001, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by oeyvind:
<STRONG>wow... you mean the serial number just happened to come back by itself?</STRONG>
all by itself. haven't verified whether the serial number is right since i don't really care, either.
well, as you said, you can still find it in the battery compartment. and don't forget about the card board box the powerbook came in.

Forum Links
Forum Rules