Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > To those who carry Powerbook around in laptop bags.... HINGE up or down???

To those who carry Powerbook around in laptop bags.... HINGE up or down???
lucx
Nov 6, 2001, 09:41 PM

Just curious as to how those who have Powerbooks (mostly Pismo's or Ti's.... new iBooks seem to have a sturdy hinger) and who carry them around in laptop bags. The ones that are like briefcases with a shoulder strap, essentially placing Powerbook vertically.

Sorry if this seems like an anal question. It's just that it's peaked my curiosity lately...

I insert mine into the bag hinge first, so it's at the bottom of the bag when I carry it over my shoulder (or by the handle for that matter).

Always seemed the best way to me... since I carry the Powerbook by gripping it at the latch end (when it's closed of course). Just seems more stable to carry it that I guess. Since I carry it by the latch end... that's how I put it into it's bag at the end of the day.

But then it dawned on me.... the power/sleep indicator is on the hinge side... so it would seem logical to have the hinge end up rather than down like I do it now. Also, I once inserted my Pismo, hinge down, into the bag, but inadvertently left the port door open. It was fine...this time... but some other time it may not, ending up with a broken port door if I accidentally leave it open.

It just seems backwards and unstable to carry it by the hinge, thus inserting it latch first into my carry-bag, with the hinge facing up.

Anyhow... like I said.... maybe a bit anal (I'm sure some don't care which way it goes in.... into the carry-bag that is ).... just wondering how others might carry their Powerbooks around...

Cheers,
Luc
Pismo 400MHz/512MB ram/10GB HD/10GB VST Expansion Bay Drive/DVD/Airport/OS X 10.1.5

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2001, 09:44 PM

Hinge down

Ti400

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2001, 10:42 PM

Luc,

I rival you in analness.

Hinge down: the big reason being that you don't want to rish that a little bump to open up the case while in transit. Then you run the risk of big money repairs because of the force vectors involved with impact from any side.
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

lucx  (op)
Nov 6, 2001, 11:02 PM

John...hmmm...you're absolutely right!!! I never thought of the BUTTON on the latch side.... another reason to keep on inserting hinge down into bag.... still curious what others have to say....
Pismo 400MHz/512MB ram/10GB HD/10GB VST Expansion Bay Drive/DVD/Airport/OS X 10.1.5

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2001, 11:05 PM

With a firm grasp on my Pismo, I place it in my bag and zip it up, hinge side up. My friend's iBook is also toted around hinge up, with the sleep indicator winking.

FWIW.

mismith
Nov 6, 2001, 11:12 PM

If I am carrying my book not in a sleeve around my lab, I carry it like a manilla folder with hinge up and the book cradled in my hand. I don't feel I have a good grip on it with the hinge down.

If i put it in a sleeve, or bag... Hinge down... For some reason I think it can take an impact better. I don't know why.

PS. i really like this topic, let's come up with more like it.

Cobra Commander
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2001, 11:13 PM

I never carry my Ti like a book. If I transport it a great distance, it always goes in it's bag, hinge down. If I move it a short distance then I craddle it with both arms.

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: Cobra Commander ]

lucx  (op)
Nov 7, 2001, 12:21 AM

mismith....good point...when i carry it around like a folder or book (say from my bag to my desk... literally only 6ft ) I carry it hinge up, holding it again from the latch end....since that's how I removed it from it's bag.

PS... thanks for the comment... I thought this topic might be a bit off-beat from the usual....

<Lertsiri Boonmee>
Nov 7, 2001, 01:48 AM

My Pismo 500 goes into my Boblebee, so the latch side is on the right side while sliding it in with the back of the backpack towards you. In a sadle bag the latch side goes down only because of the design of the extra sleeve. Then there is a little soft foam piece I put at the base of the sadle bag for the extra touch of softness.

By the way, good question. However I think that no matter what position you put it in, protection from extra foam pieces do a great job. So that way the position will be up to you (latch up or down, left or right) just protect that investment!

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2001, 11:43 AM

My Pismo has traveled the world with hinge either way. It's been to about fifteen countries, dropped in a pool, had rootbeer spilled on it by a stupid friend, and dropped 4 feet onto concrete.

That said, it's never had to be shipped out to AppleCare once.

absmiths
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2001, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by mismith:
[QB]If I am carrying my book not in a sleeve around my lab, I carry it like a manilla folder with hinge up and the book cradled in my hand. I don't feel I have a good grip on it with the hinge down.
You carry manilla folders with the open end down? Never heard that before. I carry mine flat - like it was sitting on a table - with BOTH hands. Now that I have a sleeve, it makes it's way around the house in that.

Oh yeah, always hinge down, mainly because when I pull it out it is in just the right position for me to set it down and have the screen facing me.

TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2001, 12:00 PM

You call yousef anal

I ** NEVER ** carry my Ti with the hinge down anymore. I have a Timbuk2 bag with a Waterfield Sleeve *and* a Timbuk2 shoulder protector seated inside my bag underneath my sleeve and on top of the bag's built in protector. The reason is simple. My bag is typically loaded with files and heavy and I have a bad habit of dropping my bag to the ground (even if only the last 8-12"). I learned the hard way just how delicate the hinges are after I first got my Ti.

Accidentally dropping your Ti with the hinges down can break a hinge and cause you all kinds of acida! BTW, my Ti has never opened with the button down since it is sandwiched together nicely by the sleeve.

<travel mania>
Nov 7, 2001, 03:29 PM

Obviouly a bunch of people who don't watch DVD's on planes. In my bag, my powerbook is hinge up in a sleeve. This way I can recharge while waiting to change planes without having to pull my powerbook out if my bag.

When not flying, I still keep it hinge up so I can quickly tell if I put it to sleep or shut it down when I last used it. This is particularly handy on weekends since I usually leave my laptop in the bag when not working.

Finally, there is another reason to go hinge up. If my powerbook has gotten particularly hot, I can leave the sleeve's flap open and let the 'book vent through the back slots.

Of course, my laptop sleeve is such a tight fit I don't have to worry about it opening.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2001, 03:35 PM

Obviouly a bunch of people who don't watch DVD's on planes. In my bag, my powerbook is hinge up in a sleeve. This way I can recharge while waiting to change planes without having to pull my powerbook out if my bag.
I use my Ti all the time flying, and on the train, and I put it in hinge down. I use a Waterfield Design bag, and still hinge down, there is plenty of space for my charger, true, if you fondle it like that, you fist breaking the powerchord, but like you said, when it's just sitting there charging, It just feels safer to me when the hinge is down.

<Rusty M>
Nov 7, 2001, 03:41 PM

I have a Waterfield sleeve for Ti book and have always put it in the sleeve hinge up.
Never really thought much about it till now. I carry it in the sleeve in a Kensington bag.

Rusty M

bobette
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2001, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
<STRONG>My Pismo has traveled the world with hinge either way. It's been to about fifteen countries, dropped in a pool, had rootbeer spilled on it by a stupid friend, and dropped 4 feet onto concrete.

That said, it's never had to be shipped out to AppleCare once.</STRONG>
Man, tell us about the pool incident, please!! LMAO

this lounge is a poor substitute to the bbq.

Retrograde
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2001, 05:46 PM

I have always placed my powerbooks in bags with the latch facing down and the hinge facing up as powerbooks have a nasty habit of losing their hinges thus leaving their ports wide open for a beating at the bottom of the bag! I, too, have a tendency of putting my bags down rather heavily and so fear that someday may render a port inoperable if I were to have the powerbook placed hinge side (thus portside) down. Happy wanderings
Ceci n'est pas une pomme. Magritte

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2001, 08:51 PM

I think for the PB either way is a gamble. Nevertheless I usually go hinge down.

atomium
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2001, 10:18 AM

Pismo in a Waterfield sleeve in a Timbuk2 bag. I debated which way would be better, but it boiled down to practicality for me.

Latch first leaves the power adapter socket exposed. I can run into the office and plug in the charger for 20 or 30 minutes without having to take my Pismo out of the sleeve or bag. Then, back out on the road. That quick charge has saved me on more than one occasion.

-atomium

PBG4 User
Senior User
Nov 8, 2001, 10:27 AM

I have a Kensington Saddlebag that I carry my PBG4 in, and it fits in so the hinge is on the side. On top of that, I place my PB in a (homemade, very sweet) fleece sleeve held closed with velcro.
Never thought about position until this thread. Kudos to lucx for starting it.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2001, 11:47 AM

I figured using AirPort while talking to my friends at the pool would be cool. We were hanging out browsing websites and some idiot came by and splashed us, not knowing I had a laptop in my arms. It slipped out of my hands, dipped into the pool for a good second, and I pulled it out. Everything was still running. Even the hard drive was still ticking. The keyboard had probably been able to stop the water from getting to the internals so quickly. The keyboard didn't work so well for the next day, but I blow-dried it and left it to dry out in the sun, and everything was fine for my trip to San Fransisco.

<RyuSpeed>
Nov 8, 2001, 12:43 PM

This is a very interesting thread. In my Kingston Sadle bag I carry the powerbook hinge up. My hand doesn't accidentally bump the latch when I take it out and I can tell if the machine is still sleeping.

However, in my Zero case since it opens like a breif case I keep it hinge down because that just seems like the proper way to put the machine in.

Mark Herbert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2001, 10:16 PM

This is interesting

My Ti is always hinge up in it's Crumpler bag, only because then I can charge it in the bag and also tell if it is sleeping or off. Hasn't opened on me once!

Anyone have any more interesting reasons?

Cheers,
Mark

<Raman_nopwd>
Nov 8, 2001, 11:33 PM

Pismo500

When I know I have to charge - hinge up.

Normally - hinge down. Why? Because I usually grab it and put it on the table very carefully with 1 hand. The front ends up facing me.

Of course if I could get the clutch tightened without sending it to Apple I would be very happy. I've got about 1" play when the screen is up. No problem when I'm stationary but when I'm on a bumpy plane I really notice it, esp when watching a DVD.

LtKernelPanic
Nov 9, 2001, 04:40 AM

Since I also have a Kensington Saddlebag the hinge goes to the side. Which side you may ask? Unless I have to charge it I really don't bother making sure it goes one war or another. If I have to chareg it while in the bag I just make sure the power port is on the top of the bag for easy charging.

Nawus
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2001, 10:43 AM

Hinge down in a sleeve and then in a Tumi safecase.

cpatubo
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2001, 05:50 PM

It all depends on the situation... as we have learned by reading this thread

When carrying my Ti in my Waterfield sleeve, I insert it hinge up, so I can see the sleep light. Call it peace of mind. I never thought of charging it while in the sleeve... duh! That's a great idea.

When carrying my it in my Tom Bihn G4 Eclipse bag, I insert it hinge down. I guess this is because I think it has better impact protection that way. Go fig.

To each their own! Vive la difference!

Forum Links
Forum Rules