Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Schmidt urges Apple return to Google Maps in future iOS update

Schmidt urges Apple return to Google Maps in future iOS update
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Apr 16, 2013, 04:24 PM

Google would like Apple to return to Google Maps in a future version of iOS, chairman Eric Schmidt said today at an AllThingsD conference. "We would still really like them to use our maps," said Schmidt. "It would be easy for them to take the app in the store and put it as their basic one." The executive declined to comment on why Apple went with a proprietary system instead of continuing to use Google code and data, or whether the two companies are in talks.

Apple is believed to have abandoned Google Maps partly over disputes about the latter's Maps Navigation, but mainly because Apple wants to distance itself on a business level, given the ascendency of Android as a rival mobile platform. The switch has so far backfired however, as iOS 6's Maps app has been met with widespread criticism. The app lacks the same level of detail and accuracy that Google has, as well as features many users took for granted in iOS, like Street View and built-in public transit directions.

While Apple could reverse course, the company appears to be holding steady for iOS 7. It has even been hiring new workers for its Maps team, mainly to fix mistakes which in some instances have led people dangerously off-course when driving.

bjojade
Apr 16, 2013, 04:33 PM

Dangerously? Really? If your map tells you to drive off a dead end road into a river and you do, is that really the map's fault, or the idiot driver? Inconveniently off course, yes. Dangerously? Come on.

buddhistMonkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2013, 04:39 PM

Google is untrustworthy, as is Eric Schmidt in particular. Apple is right to keep them at arm's length.

pairof9s
Senior User
Apr 16, 2013, 04:41 PM

Would like for Google to only develop their mobile platform software for iOS. What arrogant idiot...like insulting Apple is going to bring them to the negotiating table.

donmontalvo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2013, 05:51 PM

...than that crap Wipro delivered (yea, Apple heavily outsources as of early 2012). Still wondering why Scott quit? "I ain't apologizing for $#!+!"

Don

msuper69
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2013, 06:32 PM

than Apple Maps at the present time. Google Maps are much more richly detailed when viewing in normal map mode. I hope at least get the option to choose which service on any apps that use maps.

cashxx
Apr 16, 2013, 07:01 PM

Not being a phanboi, but I have had better luck with Maps over Google. Google always has its labels wrong and have gotten bad directions in the past. So far no problems with Maps yet.

DrSkywalker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2013, 07:15 PM

Smarmy SOB.

Arne_Saknussemm
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2013, 07:28 PM

Apple maps had an very rough start, Apple could have done a lot of things better (rather than appologize for a poor product); but now, the maps are not as bad as they were, of course there is rookm for improvement and Google maps are still king, for now, but Apple's offering will only get better with use reports and engeneering experience.

So as long as Apple offers one more alternative to the current monopoly, users will be better served.

Jemster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2013, 05:47 AM

I urge Schmidt to get the hell on with producing an iPad version.

If you can't even dedicate enough resources to make an iPad app after being kicked off over 6 months ago, why should Apple pander to your urges?

Talk's cheap

baggy_pants
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2013, 05:52 AM

I'm in Oz and maps loads so much quicker, vector based rendering is so much better, it's stored when you search and co-location is very accurate.

Hardly use Google maps at all any more as a result. I could care less about street view to be honest, more of a gimmick than useful for me, but that's just my opinion and use of the service.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2013, 09:23 AM

I use Apple Maps more often than Google Maps because it loads faster. Google Maps is very slow and the only time I use it is only for the sake of Street View.

Salty
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2013, 10:16 AM

Maps wasn't ready at launch, though even then it wasn't as bad as people pretended. It was fine for street names and things like that, it just didn't know where a lot of businesses were. Now they've gotten a lot better about that stuff. I installed Google Maps a while ago, and the UI is ugly and is very Google and very non-iOS. I think I might still have it in a folder somewhere but I never use it.

c4rlob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2013, 10:35 AM

Apple should respond to Schmidt "Thanks. We're sure you'd be a great map app for some other OS out there, but we're just in different places right now. You're really great, but it's not you Google, it's me. "

Forum Links
Forum Rules