Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Mac Pro cinema trailer now officially released on YouTube

Mac Pro cinema trailer now officially released on YouTube
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Aug 23, 2013, 07:38 PM

A teaser ad for the forthcoming new Mac Pro, seen in cinemas across North America last weekend, has been officially released by Apple on YouTube. The spot is a variation of the teaser seen for the Mac Pro at the Worldwide Developer's Conference where it was first announced back in June, but most notable about it (apart from the oddness of Apple advertising pro-level hardware) is that it narrows the release to "Fall 2013."

Previously, Apple had simply said that the long-awaited revamp was coming "later this year." The commercial's intent seems as much to heighten awareness among the general public of Apple as a company that is still innovating and an industry leader as it does to actually promote the Mac Pro. While the price tag of the diminutive mini-tower is thus far unknown, it is expected to cost the same or more as the present Mac Pro models, putting it outside the reach of most consumers.

The soon-to-arrive Mac Pro revision is a radical rethink of the entire concept of workstation computers, eschewing internal expansion space in favor of ultrafast connectors such as Thunderbolt 2. Because Thunderbolt can be adapted to a number of other formats, it becomes a no-bottleneck hub for high-performance external storage or other connectivity. The new, cylindrical styling is said to be only one-eighth the size of the current Mac Pro, yet the company says it will be 2.5 times more powerful.

The new Mac Pro will offer solid-state internal storage, faster RAM, two workstation-class GPUs and an enterprise-class processor with up to 12 cores. The machine is said to be able to comfortably handle dual 4K monitors, making it already a hot commodity in the pro-video segment. Still, no specific debut date has emerged, and it is unlikely to be unveiled during an iOS-oriented event such as the expected iPhone 5S reveal, currently believed to be happening on September 10.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Aug 25, 2013 at 04:36 AM. )

Laphroaig
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2013, 10:44 PM

Feast your eyes upon the LAST of the MacPro's (If you can call it that). I'm guessing this will be the excuse to end the pro line, and focus entirely on consumer models. And a fine job I'd say they have done. They already have the proof of concept....the Cube. What a blockbuster that was. Now the " trash can". As a grateful stockholder I can understand the logic, but as one who makes a living using the Mac I'm very sad. And YES I'm one of those who does utilize the all the Pro line can muster. Hey Tim how bout outsourcing the pro if Apple doesn't want to do it. I'm sure there would be plenty of folks who would be willing to take the risk...and who could succeed.

Ian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2013, 03:09 AM

Far to early to tell how this will develop. I am also a stockholder and a full time Mac Pro user who has already moved my storage to external this will be a nice upgrade.

webraider
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2013, 03:39 AM

I too am waiting to see how this unfolds. I think this IS the direction to go, but I also know that Thunderbolt accessories are not where they need to be yet to fully support this machine. That said, I think this will help kickstart Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 peripherals. No doubt that this machine is a beast!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2013, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Laphroaig View Post
Feast your eyes upon the LAST of the MacPro's (If you can call it that). I'm guessing this will be the excuse to end the pro line, and focus entirely on consumer models. And a fine job I'd say they have done. They already have the proof of concept....the Cube. What a blockbuster that was. Now the " trash can". As a grateful stockholder I can understand the logic, but as one who makes a living using the Mac I'm very sad. And YES I'm one of those who does utilize the all the Pro line can muster. Hey Tim how bout outsourcing the pro if Apple doesn't want to do it. I'm sure there would be plenty of folks who would be willing to take the risk...and who could succeed.
What have you been doing with a Mac Pro that this machine won't do equally well or better (internal storage is not an argument - I can't think of a usage scenario where it's a *requirement*, and plenty where external storage is a benefit)?

Rapscallion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2013, 12:56 PM

All my storage is in rack raids, or NAS on another floor. Only thing I need is accessories to upgrade to Thunder2 which will happen. Both of these things are non issues with the new design. I am looking forward to the new Pro, a less than 10x7 foot print, and more zip than I will be able to use, at first....

hayesk
Aug 24, 2013, 04:19 PM

Laphroaig, in ten years, feel free to come back and say "I told you so." Every professional I know is looking forward to this machine.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2013, 08:43 PM

I have to agree on the external hard drive concept. All of my stuffs now are on external. The old day of internal hard drive is just very inconvenient on the long run plus the speed of external are getting faster throughput. Many of my old internal hard drives are wasted and sitting inside my old Mac towers. Where as the external ones I have are easily access and repurposed without turning on the old Macs. Buying external enclosures for these old drives are just not worth the time and money. Another beauty of external is when it's time to switch over to a new Mac, it's a lot easier than swapping or transferring internal hard drives and less time in interrupting my work flow.

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2013, 08:27 AM

Muse. Nice.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

Hillbilly Geek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2013, 11:14 AM

Hey, the production values on the commercial itself begged for a cinema release. People who have no idea what a mac is will be intrigued... the almost subsonic bass line is only audible in theatres ;-)

carloblackmore
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2013, 11:21 AM

I think when most people first see the Apple logo they will be thinking "new iPhone?" up until the very end – and even at the end they may still think the new iPhone is called "MacPro". Then once they think for a second, they may remember - "oh yeah, Apple makes a computer called Mac..."
And I think the vagueness of the ad is deliberate.

Forum Links
Forum Rules