Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ti Hard Drive Upgrade

Ti Hard Drive Upgrade
mismith
Mar 7, 2002, 12:15 AM

I have an almost 1 year old Ti400 and am looking to upgrade the 10 gig hard drive. Is this user upgradeable? What are the best deals on 20-30 gigs out there?

Also, what is the best PORTABLE firewire case I could put the old 10 giger in?

Thanks

himself
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2002, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by mismith:
<STRONG>I have an almost 1 year old Ti400 and am looking to upgrade the 10 gig hard drive. Is this user upgradeable? What are the best deals on 20-30 gigs out there?

Also, what is the best PORTABLE firewire case I could put the old 10 giger in?

Thanks</STRONG>
It is user upgradeable, you need to get a torx wrench/screwdriver, size 5 or 6, I'm not sure (but somebody on this board knows). You can find them at Radio Shack or order one online... you need the torx to remove the bottom cover and then to remove the hard drive... however, I believe that your Ti 400 model can use a standard Philips screw driver to remove the bottom cover, am I wrong? either way, there should be some documentation (either in a booklet, or printed in the battery well under your TiBook) on how to remove the cover. As for deals on hard drives, Ebay is typically a good place to start, also , MacResQ, other world computing, and for firewire cases, you can look at those same places, as well as firewire depot.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2002, 07:03 PM

I just did the exact same thing you are doing. I was a little intimidated, because all I ever hear is how tough it is to change out the drives on TiBooks... but I didn't really find it that hard. You can find the instructions in the manual that came with the Powerbook. Just remember, you need a Torx 8 screwdriver. The manual says you don't, but it's wrong.

I also found a baseball card handy. There are two little rubber "stoppers" that you need to keep in place as you slide the drive back into place. A baseball card does a great job of holding them down.

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_It...Item=OWCMOTGFW

This is the enclosure I bought and it works great. I think there are cheaper ones out there if you keep your eyes open though. I spent about 100 bucks on a 20 gig IBM travelstar, but I think you can get a 30 gig for about $150 which is probably a better deal.

Keep watching dealmac.com for good bargains. There are always several on 2.5" drives. Just wait a couple of days and a good one will pop up.

[ 03-07-2002: Message edited by: ort888 ]

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 7, 2002, 09:50 PM

Ti400
1 y old, same here.

bought 30GN GB IBM Travelstar (fluid bearing mechanism, silent)
I bought it for $130 from www.newegg.com.

jeffrs73
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2002, 11:10 AM

Hey ther GK, did you notice a big change in performance after dropping in the new drive?

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 8, 2002, 02:05 PM

no big change here. still a 4200rpm drive. very silent though. I'm very happy with the purchase. it's nice not having to worry about free spac anymore.

Forum Links
Forum Rules