Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Updating Safari on an older iMac

Updating Safari on an older iMac
rotuts
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2015, 10:39 PM

this is really a combo question :

I have a friend w an older iMac, and he cant seem to update safari and Im wondering if

the iMac has reached the end of its road :

the iMac under info :

iMac 7.1 core 2 duo

its running 10.6.8 and has had problems installing a graphic firmware update for a long while

its running Safari 5.1.1.0 and

under software update it does not seem to offer a newer OS

ie 10.9.5 nor a newer safari ie 9.0.1

it wants to update some sort of graphic firmware but never gets this done

Im not at this computer, which is across the country.

is there any way to get this computer to 10.9.5 and safari to 9.0.1 ?

or is it time for a new iMac ?

many thanks
MacPro 2.66 dual 3GB RAM 1.5 TB HD's
24" + 21" Samsung flat panels
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

reader50
Administrator
Oct 24, 2015, 11:02 PM

Safari 5.1.10 is the highest Safari for Snow Leopard 10.6

The iMac 7,1 (Mid 2007) is able to run all later OS versions up to the present, provided you have 2 GB of RAM or more.

Later OS versions are not offered through Software Update. Open the Mac App Store app instead.

rotuts  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2015, 11:32 PM

thank you

he indeed has 2 GB of RAM

can he update to 10.9.5 w the 10.9.5 Combo update or is there a series of updates that need to be done in sequence ?

ie 10.6 to 10.7 to 10.8 to 10.9 ?

thanks again
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

P
Oct 25, 2015, 05:00 AM

He must update through the Mac App Store (and I think it still costs $20 to do so if you're on SL). The Combo updates will update from say 10.9.0 to 10.9.5, not from 10.6 to 10.9.5.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

rotuts  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2015, 07:24 AM

thank you again

would you supply more details ? what does he have to Dl ?

all we could find were the combo uipdate which Im familiar with

I dont knw where to go to get the first item that starts w 10.6.8
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

rotuts  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2015, 09:30 AM

it seems that through the App Store you to to the free 10.10 update and

go from there. 10.6 costs 20 $ but my friend has this.

I may advise him to make an appointment at an apple store w a genius and get the whole thing

updated there. might be a lot faster and less complicated and error free.

thanks for your input.
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

honestone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2015, 01:34 PM

The first thing he needs to insure is that any third party applications he uses get updated to be able to use with whatever OS he decides to move to.

Secondly, that is quite a jump, from OS 10.6.8 to OS 10.11.1, especially with the issues that were prevalent with OS 10.11. It might be better to upgrade to OS 10.10.5, the last stable version of Yosemite, before moving to El Capitan.

Third, he would not just use the OS 10.10.5 Combo Updater to upgrade from OS 10.6.8. If OS 10.10.5 is still available from the App Store, that will be the full version.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 26, 2015, 02:54 PM

iMac 7.1 is the mid-2007 version. That's on my desk right now, running El Capitan... I did max out the RAM on it (a whopping 4GB), and I did a wipe-install for Yosemite, but with the original 300GB hard drive, it's still running fine. Unless the hardware is failing, or if it's not up to running software he NEEDS to run, I wouldn't call that machine "at the end of the road." It's certainly not as zippy as my brand new, SSD-based MBP, but it's still a good machine.

I would recommend that your friend back up absolutely everything to an external drive. He may need to delete a bunch of stuff to have room for the rest of the process. Next, have him download El Capitan and run the installer. The installer will offer to format the drive - go for it. Once the install is completed, your friend can restore the stuff he needs to be on the iMac, and then organize anything else he needs but doesn't need to be on the internal drive using an external drive. I'm using a Seagate desktop 3TB unit connected via Firewire 800, which is pretty darn fast.

Other upgrades would include stepping up to an SSD - that's a hassle to do by yourself with this iMac, but it's a reasonable step.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules