Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > President Obama speaks about encryption debate at SXSW

President Obama speaks about encryption debate at SXSW
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Mar 11, 2016, 11:28 PM

Speaking at the SXSW conference, President Obama fielded some brief questions about the Silicon Valley encryption fight with lawmakers in Congress. While refusing to specifically address the Apple versus FBI matter centered around the San Bernardino shooting, the President suggests that a compromise should be reached now, warning that "what you'll find is that after something really bad happens, the politics of this will swing and it will become sloppy and rushed and it will go through Congress in ways that are dangerous and not thought through"

President Obama stated in the interview that "My conclusion so far is you cannot take an absolutist view own this," Obama said. "If your argument is strong encryption no matter what, and we can and should in fact create black boxes, that I think does not strike the kind of balance we have lived with for 200, 300 years."

The President believes that the unlockable encryption currently on Google and Apple phones are "fetishizing our phones above every other value. That can't be the right answer." He added that "I suspect the answer is going to come down to how do we create a system where the encryption is as strong as possible, the key is as secure as possible, it is accessible by the smallest number of people possible, on a subset of issues we deem is important." No specific answers were given on how to execute this or decide who gets to decide what's important, but the President does admit that the conversation is a difficult one to strike a balance on.

Obama points to the Snowden revelations as the starting point, which raised the hackles of the American public. Speaking about the National Security Agency's metadata collection, and other programs, Obama said that ""I understand that that raised suspicions," but claims that "we're concerned about privacy. We don't want [law enforcement] to be poking through people's phones willy-nilly."

DrSkywalker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2016, 09:18 PM

A typical shades of grey response from a shades of grey politician. Sorry Big Fella as others before have aptly put it, this is a binary question with a binary answer. You're secure - or you're not. Period. I would trust bureaucrats no more than I would trust Russian mobsters with access to my data. Put it this way- if the US started a voluntary program where you provided them your password to your iCloud account, how many would sign up?

sgs123
Mar 14, 2016, 09:07 AM

Jon Oliver's explanation is precious:

http://youtu.be/zsjZ2r9Ygzw

Forum Links
Forum Rules