Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mozilla 0.7

Mozilla 0.7
bmedina
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2001, 05:01 AM

Mozilla 0.7 has just been released. Among the big additions are secure site authentication and scrollwheel support (finally). It also seems a lot more stable (only one crash today; IE 5 crashed twice). It looks pretty good for a 0.7 release. I can't wait until 1.0 is ready.

bleen
Senior User
Jan 10, 2001, 01:41 PM

I think it's funny if Mozilla is only at .07... and that was released today... Netscape 6 which is based of Mozilla isn't even based of a "1.0" and is quite out of date

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2001, 05:38 AM

Good to hear somebody with a positive comment about Netscape/Mozilla or whatever they are calling it now. Too bad they are to lazy to actually program it for the Mac.

I'm going to have to give it a try.

Tominator
Jan 14, 2001, 02:55 AM

The Mozilla people rock and I wish them all the best. There is so much potential for the technology they are developing, they might yet revolutionize the way applications work. The Gecko engine is much more than a browser. Help them out. Download the nightly builds and submit bug reports. If you've got programming skills, hack away on the source code!

Hobbes
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2001, 01:03 AM

After reading some of these posts I went and downloaded Mozilla 0.7. I have to say I'm quite impressed. Considering this isn't a complete release yet, and still has major optimization yet to be completed, its far better than NS6. It starts up faster, the interface is slightly more responsive, and best of all, you don't get bombarded by AOL marketing.

If the Mozilla group keeps making progress at this rate, the final release might just be a real competitor to IE5.

One can always hope...

crazycylon
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2001, 01:48 AM

I just downloaded it today. The only comment I have so far is I hope they incorporate encryption into it soon. Tried the bowser on a secure web site and I was told that bowser doesn't support 128 bit SSL encryption. Thou I can say the same thing about iCab.

------------------
As a man comes, so he departs.
As a man comes, so he departs.

apple4ever
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2001, 03:18 AM

I am using Moz .7 right now. It works ok. It still has some problems, but it definately has improved since .6. I can't wait until it is done
Pennsylvania Patriot
Mac Lover

apple4ever
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2001, 03:19 AM

I just posted, but when I hit submit, Moz said it could save teh username and password for this site!! Thats awesome. Mozilla kicks butt!!!
Pennsylvania Patriot
Mac Lover

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2001, 06:50 AM

I'm using Mozilla 0.7 right now, and I must say its a huge improvement over Netscape 6.0. I've only crashed this app once (which brought the whole system down) when I tried cut/paste Personal Toolbar favorites onto itself. Also, I've noticed that the Drag and Drop implementation of the Toolbar/Favorites is quite buggy, as mentioned by the browser itself.

The browser looks ok, with its themes and all, although I did notice a certain delay when rendering HTML pages. I have yet to test it out with complex pages, however.

Another thing to note is that there seems to be no indication of using Internet Config, which can be a hassle at times. It has a save form data feature which is pretty much like Internet Explorer's AutoFill feature, although this seems to be able to capture data from different forms.

Were it not for the Windows-like buttons and other UI elements, the browser is quite ok.

I personally still believe, however, that they should separate the Browser from the other components, such as Mail, News, and Composer. It tends to bloat it up. :

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2001, 10:09 PM

bleen - actually, Netscape 6 was equivalent to Mozilla 0.6 (according to the Mozilla website). I found both of them too buggy, and the jerkiness of page-loading made internet use annoying. After a couple of weeks with each one sequentially, I deleted each of them.

Mozilla 0.7 is reportedly faster and less buggy, but I'm reluctant to try another Netscape beta product, with all of the problems I had. Unless I hear glowing reports, I'll stick with Netscape Communicator 4.76, which I find to be faster and less crash-prone than Explorer. I also like the integrated mail function of Communicator, without having to open a separate program. When the "final" release of Netscape 6 arrives, I'll switch to it.

iBorg
MacBook Pro 2.33GHz, 15.4" Glossy, 160GB - and loving it!

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2001, 05:22 AM

I hate to say this, but I think that the age of Netscape as the browser of choice for the Mac community, like it was years ago is over with. Sure, IE has had a lot of followers since it because a decent looking product, but Mac users have always basically been Netscape users. There is no hope for Netscape proper, but there is much hope for Mozilla. Mozilla, like many other open source projects, puts out basicly good software that is under continuous improvement. On the other hand AOL is in a hurry to put out a browser product and they decided to branch off from the Mozilla development tree. I think it is probably over with for them, or rather Mac users involvement with Netscape.

Cotton
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2001, 11:21 PM

This new build is the first one i've had (i've had all since early '99, Step6) that is actually usable as a browser. even the carbonized version (based on jan 2nd '01 builds - 1 week before .7 released) works great in OSX! i'll admit i had given up on mozilla/netscape when i saw how crappy NS6 turned out, i haven't touched the daily builds since then! but, i must say, i'm genuinely suprised and pleased at the progress the mozilla team has made since the branch to NS6. if you gave up, give it a try!! i'm sure you'll be as surprised as i am . . . this browser is 95% of what IE5 is!

[This message has been edited by Cotton (edited 01-16-2001).]

Griz
Jan 17, 2001, 11:40 AM

Only 1 thing about Mozilla I dont like is the sidebar. Who needs that when all the bookmarks are available in the dropdown. Other wise as slowwwww as it is I like it.
Griz
G4 Quicksilver 2002 800Mhz CD-RW Zip 250 15 inch LCD Apple Studio Display HPdeskjet 940c OS X 10.3.2

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2001, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by crazycylon:
I just downloaded it today. The only comment I have so far is I hope they incorporate encryption into it soon. Tried the bowser on a secure web site and I was told that bowser doesn't support 128 bit SSL encryption. Thou I can say the same thing about iCab.
I still go for iCab. Even though Gecko is fast as hell - so is iCab, and plus iCab is so lightweight. Allong with speed, I think that is one of the most important things to keep in mind when choosing/making a browser.
Change your world and you will change your mind.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2001, 06:10 PM

I love Mozilla... It's really fast and stable now.... I prefer it 10X over IE.

------------------
MacVillage.net Owner/Webmaster
http://www.macvillage.net
Macintosh Portal
Email, Free Tech Support, Web Space, Search, Directory, and MUCH MORE!

people have seen my posts since 10/7/00

Forum Links
Forum Rules