Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > UT X Preview #3 Released

UT X Preview #3 Released
Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2002, 04:31 PM

A new version of UT X (UT for MacOS X) has been released which fixes some bugs. I guess I'll have to download it and give it a try... it says it fixes the line through the menu textures, the mouse control, and support for 3 button mice.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Tominator
Apr 5, 2002, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by Leonard:
<STRONG>A new version of UT X (UT for MacOS X) has been released which fixes some bugs. I guess I'll have to download it and give it a try... it says it fixes the line through the menu textures, the mouse control, and support for 3 button mice.</STRONG>
They've got the 3 button support, but it's slightly incomplete. While you can set functions for scroll wheel up and scroll wheel down, you can't set something for scroll wheel click. I'll have to adjust my game play a bit, but otherwise this version is extremely playable. Very smooth on my 733.

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 5, 2002, 06:05 PM

I'm still at work, so I can't play yet. Is it a significant improvement compared to preview 2 ?

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2002, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by GK:
<STRONG>I'm still at work, so I can't play yet. Is it a significant improvement compared to preview 2 ?

</STRONG>
well

for me the quality has actually DECREASED! preview 2 ran SMOOTHLY on my dual 450 with 576MB RAM and a geforce 3. preview 3 actually lags all over the place.

I'm running it at 1280x1024 with everything on.

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Apr 5, 2002, 07:19 PM

I could never get those working acceptable- It's probably the lack of RAVE support.

superlarry
Senior User
Apr 7, 2002, 04:52 AM

Originally posted by rampant:
<STRONG>I could never get those working acceptable- It's probably the lack of RAVE support.</STRONG>
i agree - i need some concrete evidence that OpenGL is better than RAVE *quickly* because i'm losing faith.
btw your sig is HUUUGE.. the max size is like 10 px bigger than mine (+10 width and +10 height, i think - not positive because i made mine based on the old guidelines). just warnin' ya before other people start to be jerks about it.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2002, 06:18 AM

Originally posted by agasthya:
<STRONG>

well

for me the quality has actually DECREASED! preview 2 ran SMOOTHLY on my dual 450 with 576MB RAM and a geforce 3. preview 3 actually lags all over the place.

I'm running it at 1280x1024 with everything on.</STRONG>
preview 3 is better for me. dual 450 w/960ram and Rage 128 pro. But also had some pockets of lag, but we had also overworked the network and were losing packets left and right so I dont' think it was the game

[edit] first I think I run @ 800x600 not entirely sure. But the best part is how much smoother the mouse movement is, it was unusable in preview 2. And having scroll wheel switch weapon and jump just made my day.

[ 04-07-2002: Message edited by: juanvaldes ]
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

<Guy Incognito>
Apr 7, 2002, 02:03 PM

Well, carbon UT for OS X is progressing slowly but it's progressing nonetheless. And it's very functional.

Although the graphical striped menubar glitch is still present in preview 3 (even though Glenda claims it's gone) I'm still very satisfied with the release.

Thanks Glenda.
And I'm sorry to have been such a jerk in earlier posts.

Dr Evil
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2002, 03:56 PM

I tried out pr3 and actually got worse results than before. =( I had it on 8x6, 32bit, and medium textures and got good frame rates until i approached another player then halved down to like 20-30fps. It was completely unplayable, unlike pr2. Machine impressions on QS 867Mhz, 320mb, geforce2mx, 40gig, 10.1.3.
Quicksilver G4 867mhz 384mb/60gig
iBook 300 320mb/20gig
Athlon Xp 1700+(1.47GHz) 512mb ddr/26gig, GeForce 4 TI 4200/128mb
http://mayodreams.dyndns.org

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Apr 7, 2002, 04:57 PM

Hope you're happy j00 mofo .

cheerios
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2002, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by &lt;Guy Incognito&gt;:
<STRONG>Well, carbon UT for OS X is progressing slowly but it's progressing nonetheless. And it's very functional.

Although the graphical striped menubar glitch is still present in preview 3 (even though Glenda claims it's gone) I'm still very satisfied with the release.

Thanks Glenda.
And I'm sorry to have been such a jerk in earlier posts.</STRONG>
[edit] this is juan
Actually for me the striped menubar did go away. but it was still present on cheerios new imac.

[ 04-07-2002: Message edited by: cheerios ]
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

Guy Incognito
Banned
Apr 7, 2002, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by cheerios:
<STRONG>
[edit] this is juan
Actually for me the striped menubar did go away. but it was still present on cheerios new imac.

[ 04-07-2002: Message edited by: cheerios ]</STRONG>
Maybe it has something to do with the resolution I'm using...I'm gonna go experiment with different resolutions and see if that's the problem.

Edit: ok...so it was a simple resolution problem...I switched to 640x480 and everything was fine...then I switched back to 800x600 and things remained fine. I dunno why I had a stripe through the menubar the first time around.

[ 04-07-2002: Message edited by: Guy Incognito ]

Crazy ebot
Apr 7, 2002, 09:53 PM

Hmm, I don't get the Stripe in the menubar anymore (except when running Tactical Ops OS X - but I figure that's not UT's fault ... ?)

What I _don't get_ is multibutton mouse support ... Using a 2001 MS Intellimouse - frustrating since you're all reporting that it works.

Still, getting great performance on my G4/400mhz with an ol' 64meg ASUS Geforce 2mx card ... :-)

Cheers,

Tobes.

xyber233
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2002, 01:57 PM

Will music ever be added or is it too hard?

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2002, 02:24 PM

I believe Glenda had commented that music would never be there... I may be wrong.
MacBook Pro

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2002, 03:52 PM

Will UT ever be available as a real release for OS X?

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2002, 07:08 PM

Yeah... it'll be called Unreal Tournament 2003!

No seriously, I think UT for MacOS X is going to stay beta... especially considering UT 2003 is coming in a year.
MacBook Pro

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2002, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by Crazy ebot:
<STRONG>What I _don't get_ is multibutton mouse support ... Using a 2001 MS Intellimouse - frustrating since you're all reporting that it works.</STRONG>
Did you download MS Intellipoint Mouse Driver for OS X yet? I have it installed and it work flawless with Unreal Tournament.

Originally posted by xyber233:
<STRONG>Will music ever be added or is it too hard?</STRONG>
Glenda said that she will add sound system to Unreal Tournament soonly. She built entirely new sound system for Alice and luckily Unreal and Alice is based on same engine so it shouldn't take up too much time to add it.

Originally posted by iKevin:
<STRONG>Will UT ever be available as a real release for OS X?</STRONG>
I'm not sure what you mean by that. If you are talking about retail re-release for store, I doubt it cuz Unreal 2 and Unreal Tournament 2003 is on the way and they don't want to confuse the customer. An OSX patch is enough since you could buy retail copy of Unreal Tournament from any mac store. It's still available unlike Quake 3

xyber233
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2002, 09:55 AM

Glenda said that she will add sound system to Unreal Tournament soonly. She built entirely new sound system for Alice and luckily Unreal and Alice is based on same engine so it shouldn't take up too much time to add it.
Thanx for the info !

<Guy Incognito>
Apr 12, 2002, 12:22 PM

Yay, here's a chance to be the bitch that I am.

Adam Betts:

Alice is based on Q3 graphics engine and sound system. I believe you meant Harry Potter.

Forum Links
Forum Rules