Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > unLeaded theme preview

unLeaded theme preview
himself
Mac Elite
May 2, 2002, 12:09 PM

I've been working on this for a while, and I have finally started to get somewhere with it. It is still very much in the beginning stages, but I feel it's come together enough to present it to the public.

Introducing �unLeaded�

My first attempt at an OSX theme (and my first theme ever), and I just wanted to do a little more with OSX's transparency effects. I'm also contemplating adding a subtle smidgen of color to the theme, but I'll have to wait and see on that.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2002, 12:30 PM

The theme isn't exactly a pretty piece but I must applaud you for the effort to be different than make the same boring aqua alternatives. Maybe some refinement would be nice on the button widgets.

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
May 2, 2002, 05:55 PM

I have to second Adam's remarks. It's not gorgeous but I don't necessarily think it has to be. Interesting idea with the widgets... although some refinement is in order for the border. You might want to take all the "holes" out of the things like the scroll bars etc. (those ARE transparent aren't they?) as one would tend to think they can't click and drag a hole. I know I would be very cautious if there were empty spaces in my scroll bars. Could you also maybe work in some more contrast between the different grey values as it is now a lot of the UI bleeds together. Nice job so far! Keep it up.

Mac Guru

[ 05-02-2002: Message edited by: Mac Guru ]

Archangel
Mac Elite
May 2, 2002, 06:49 PM

I do like the idea of increased transparency in the theme. I think a limited, judicious use of it could really increase the coolness factor of a theme I like the look of this one. I would be interested in seeing the final product.

goatnet
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2002, 07:19 PM

It's a good start, but can be improved upon. I like the transparent buttons, but the unselected windows having a hole instead of buttons looks a little odd. Maybe a darker transparency and lighter (almost white) lines?

edit: had to add this, but I really like those corner widgets.

[ 05-02-2002: Message edited by: goatnet ]

They laughed at my Mac, it had no CLI. They laughed at Linux, it had no GUI. I installed MacOS X, and shut them up.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2002, 09:03 PM

I like the recessed Apple in the menubar a lot! I'd go for the transparent buttons if you dropped the white lines around them-- they're a little to busy. (Just my biased opinion-- and I've certainly never tried making a theme)

A good start!

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Guy Incognito
Banned
May 2, 2002, 09:35 PM

<STRONG>Originally posted by Adam Betts:
[qb]The theme isn't exactly a pretty piece but I must applaud you for the effort to be different than make the same boring aqua alternatives. Maybe some refinement would be nice on the button widgets.</STRONG>
No! You haven't seen ugly until you saw Martha Royer's many eye-melting Kaleidoscope schemes. OMG, those schemes permanently damaged my retina.

If you fear for your perfect eye sight, do not visit this link: http://www.gate.net/~royerm/index2.html

OMG OMG OMG MY EYES...I had to check the page to make sure she put a picture of her monstrosities.

I hope she doesn't get offended by my remarks...she's got to understand, though, that her schemes are fugly!

Edit: Good GOD! She's charging $10 for a CD with 300+ of those abominations.

[ 05-02-2002: Message edited by: Guy Incognito ]

KidRed
Professional Poster
May 2, 2002, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by Guy Incognito:
<STRONG>

No! You haven't seen ugly until you saw Martha Royer's many eye-melting Kaleidoscope schemes. OMG, those schemes permanently damaged my retina.

If you fear for your perfect eye sight, do not visit this link: http://www.gate.net/~royerm/index2.html

OMG OMG OMG MY EYES...I had to check the page to make sure she put a picture of her monstrosities.

I hope she doesn't get offended by my remarks...she's got to understand, though, that her schemes are fugly!

[ 05-02-2002: Message edited by: Guy Incognito ]</STRONG>
LOL, man you're cold.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

HAL9000
Forum Regular
May 3, 2002, 06:24 AM

Originally posted by KidRed:
<STRONG>

LOL, man you're cold.</STRONG>
. . . but the may just have an itsy-bitsy-teeny-weeny point there
Without your space helmet, Dave, you're going to find that rather difficult.

JellyBeen
Senior User
May 3, 2002, 11:15 AM

This theme reminds me of Swiz's Simple X . Its similar in many respects.
Where you inspired by it?
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2002, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by Guy Incognito:
<STRONG>

[ 05-02-2002: Message edited by: Guy Incognito ]</STRONG>
Ouch! Can a moderator please delete that link before somebody gets hurt?

That's some horrid stuff....

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
May 3, 2002, 03:06 PM

Good lord I'm so thankful she's not a web designer!!

[ 05-03-2002: Message edited by: KaptainKaya ]

Archangel
Mac Elite
May 3, 2002, 03:24 PM

Wow, I always wondered who made those nasty schemes. I'm glad she's in Florida and I'm in Washington.

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
May 3, 2002, 04:02 PM

Where she lives should say something about those abominations... I have three Floridian friends and their ALL into gaudy CRAP. (come to think of it one uses one of her Schemes... ACK) I've been to Florida 5 times and never really enjoyed myself. Maybe that whole Ballot thing was caused by people blinded by OS 9 and her schemes

Mac Guru

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2002, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by Mac Guru:
<STRONG>Where she lives should say something about those abominations... I have three Floridian friends and their ALL into gaudy CRAP. (come to think of it one uses one of her Schemes... ACK) I've been to Florida 5 times and never really enjoyed myself. Maybe that whole Ballot thing was caused by people blinded by OS 9 and her schemes </STRONG>
Yep, Florida get old *fast*! I can't wait for them to be covered by water soon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules