Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Hebrew browsing

Hebrew browsing
McNugget
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2000, 01:59 AM

Does anybody know how to configure IE5 or Omniweb 4 beta 6 to render webpages in Hebrew????

I have been playing around with Omniweb, but it keeps displaying the HTML source instead of rendering the HTML.

Thanks.

fulmer
Dec 19, 2000, 02:42 AM

from previous experience, it takes both the proper browser text encoding AND the necessary Mac fonts (which would be selected under the encoding method) to see Hebrew. I've never had any luck, and to see Russian with OmniWeb, I have to set the default to Cyrillic -- Cyrillic renders incorrectly in IE for X and iCab does nothing at all.

until Apple sets us up with a full-blown multi-lingual release, complete with keyboard layouts and fonts on par with what comes for OS 9, I'd say we're out of luck for now.

McNugget  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2000, 08:51 PM

Thanks fulmer!!!!

Yesterday I was playing with the preferences under omniweb and found that there is an option for Hebrew encoding, but I think I am missing the fonts. Do you know where can I find fonts in Hebrew, and how to install them, because I have tried to look for my old Hebrew fonts, but OSX just won't let me write to the directory where the other system fonts are.

fulmer
Dec 20, 2000, 11:48 AM

I asked that same question about Cyrillic fonts several weeks ago. Nada. I've never found Hebrew or Russian fonts (needed b/c I study both languages) for X, and for some reason my Hebrew fonts don't display in my 9 Sys.Folder:Fonts folder. Right now, if I have to type in Russian or Hebrew, I either do it via Classic or reboot to 9.

I don't know if you gave X its own partition, but if you need to write to folders that are locked while in X, you can reboot into 9 and/or login as root, both options take care of many permission problems (be careful with either, however, as you'll be super-usering your way through critical system files.) I've also read that 9 fonts aren't compatible with X, and that bad things happen to X if 9 fonts are put in X's font folder(s). I'll give it a try nonetheless, but viewing Hebrew and Russian is for me less important than the keyboard layouts, which I'm now waiting for.

McNugget  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2000, 01:41 AM

Thanks for the information!!!!

I just wish I would not have to erase my HD b/c I found out about the language kits bundled in OS9 last week, and that was AFTER I installed OSX...the language kit installer keeps telling me I need OS 8.5 or above...looks like it would have been wiser to set up a separate partition in another HD...

Do you know of a work around?

synp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2000, 07:41 AM

I can view some of the Hebrew pages. I copied some font files off of Virtual PC (the David.ttf font works well) and put it into my ~/Library/Fonts directory. This allows OmniWeb (and maybe iCab) to render Hebrew pages. Try this and surf to http://www.haaretz.co.il

Internet Explorer can not show Hebrew pages because its mac version does not support Hebrew encoding in any language.

To Enter Hebrew text is even more difficult: Add he Unicode keyboard. If you switch to that, you can hold down the option key and type 0-5-D-0 for Aleph to 0-5-E-A for Tav. The same might work for Russian.

McNugget  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2000, 11:27 PM

And do you know if IE displays hebrew text under OS9, b/c I uninstalled OSX from my machine today and also I installed the language kit under OS9 (OSX screwed somehow my partition and I couldn't get the language kit installer to identify my system as 8.7 or greater, but removing OSX fixed that...)

But the problem now is that I can't make IE render the pages correctly, I can add Yiddish support under the preferences, but Hebrew is not listed, and I don't read Yiddish...I'm still learning Hebrew you know....any ideas????

synp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2000, 08:26 AM

IE has Yiddish support? I've never known that. Since Yiddish is written with the same letters Hebrew is, this may work.

In Mac OS 8.x and 9.x, I've never seen IE render any Hebrew page correctly. Netscape succeeds for some pages, and iCab does even better.

On Mac OS X IE still doesn't show Hebrew pages well, but Omniweb does. iCab cannot use true-type fonts (could be a Carbon thing) so with it I'm stuck with Apple's fonts, none of which are (currently) Hebrew.

fulmer
Dec 28, 2000, 10:07 PM

you'll have to install Hebrew lang. support for 9 from the 9 CD. It has all the things necessary. When the install is done, you'll find the Hebrew fonts inside the suitcase "HB Ariel".

To render Hebrew correctly in browsers, you'll probably have to set the browser to use the Hebrew font (don't allow page to set them) as default or, with Netscape Navigator, open Prefs and set the default font to user-defined, then change the user-defined fonts to your new Hebrew font.

when you visit a page (www.microsoft.com/israel/) in Hebrew, you'll need to select View>>Encoding>>User-Defined. The page should reload properly, provided the Hebrew language kit from the 9 CD is properly installed.

I've never had IE (4.5-5.x) render Hebrew correctly, and from my experience, Navigator offers the best langauge support. McNugget, from one Hebrew student to another, get Netscape Navigator (not Communicator) and make sure the Hebrew lang. kit is intalled.

If this config. doesn't work, lemme know.

McNugget  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2000, 03:24 AM

Toda raba fulmer!!!!!

I will use Netscape for hebrew browsing and IE for simple browsing. I have already installed the language kit, and I'll try navigator.

Thanks

synp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2000, 07:54 AM

Now the two of you have got me confused: are we talking OS 9 or OS X.

In OS 9: You can install Hebrew from the CD. IE doesn't show it. Netscape shows some pages. iCab is best because it supports Hebrew Encoding.

In OS X: No official support for Hebrew (of course, the Classic environment has it). You CAN copy a Windows TTF file (such as david.ttf) to your fonts folder and then cocoa apps and some carbon can use it. IE and iCab cannot. OmniWeb does show some Hebrew sites OK (eg http://www.haaretz.co.il) but others appear left-to-right (like http://www.walla.co.il). Too bad in OmniWeb you cannot change the encoding of the page being displayed (or can you?)

fulmer
Dec 31, 2000, 11:50 AM

We're kinda covering both 9 and X PB. Talking about Hebrew in 9 is a little out of forum, but each post involves discussion and questions about Hebrew in X and X's browsers, so it's okay.

yes, you can change the encoding in OmniWeb. Open Preferences and then the Fonts panel. There should be something that says "Interpret incoming pages as:". Click the tab and select the Hebrew (Mac, Windows, or ISO) encoding. You may also have to check or uncheck the box that says "allow meta tag to change encoding." If it's not in the Fonts tab, check around in the others (I'm away from school now and AOL doesn't work over X or via Classic, so I'd have to reboot to X then back to 9 to double check where to change OW encoding).

In addition, if you need a better font, you can use the HB Arial font that OS 9's Hebrew language kit installs in 9's System Folder>>Fonts -- just drag it to the same X folder that synp mentioned with the David.ttf font.

OmniWeb b7 successfully rendered an article from Apple Israel's Hotnews page after I set it to interpret incoming pages as Hebrew (Windows, Mac, or ISO) and set the font to HB Arial. Not that I read modern Hebrew (only Biblical), but I could pick out enough words)

happy New Year to all.

McNugget  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2001, 03:47 AM

Please tell me how to make Netscape 4.7 render the pages in hebrew correctly, I've tryed to do it, but the best thing I could was using a different Font from de language kit, NeText and NeText mono, which are not as nice as the ones included in the language kit...and not as functional...if I go to www.microsoft.com/israel, it shows me almost every item in hebrew, but those at the top left keep coming in scrambled roman characters....

By the way, Happy Holidays....I'm a little drunk right now, but the phrase is sincere....thanks or toda...

fulmer
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2001, 01:17 PM

If you mean Netscape 4.7, then you're using the Communicator package, right? I remember having Hebrew rendering problems with Communicator.

Just get the stand-alone Navigator (v. 4.08) if you can. I can't be sure about Communicator, but in stand-alone Navigator I do this to get microsoft.com/israel to render without problem: open Prefs. Select <fonts>.

In <For the encoding>, choose <User-Defined>. Below, in the next two (Variable and Fixed Width Fonts) places, select the HB Arial (which should be shown in Hebrew as alef, resh, yod, alef, lamed). This should do it. If it doesn't, try setting both fonts for Western encoding to the Hebrew fonts. And make sure you have checked "Use my fonts, overriding page-specified fonts".

Forum Links
Forum Rules