Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Which Drive Is Better?

Which Drive Is Better?
brian middleton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2002, 02:57 AM

I have 2 hard drives in my g4/400..the bundled drive and a maxtor..i have osX installed on my 2nd drive..the maxtor and os9 installed on my bundled drive..my question is this..is there an advantage to having osX installed on the drive that came with the mac? i am looking for ways to speed up my system and thought that maybe this might help..

any suggestions?

Cipher13
May 3, 2002, 03:06 AM

Bus wise, well, the master has priority... but it won't make a noticeable difference.

What kind of drive is the bundled one? If it's 7200 rpm, for eg, then you'd be better off having OSX on it.

What kind of machine do you have, and how large is the bundled drive? Tell us about the Maxtor too.

[ 05-03-2002: Message edited by: Cipher13 ]

brian middleton  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2002, 03:29 AM

The bundled drive is a Quantum 10gig..i'm really not sure if it is 7200rpm or not..system profiler doesn't tell me..

the maxtor is a 40gig and it is 7200rpm ultra ATA..

my machine is an AGP g4/400 with 576M of ram..

-b

Archangel
Mac Elite
May 3, 2002, 05:03 AM

Open it up and see if it is 7200 rpm. That'll help. If it isn't, don't boot off that drive. If it is, might as well keep it.

With that much RAM you won't have to use VM a whole lot. For a while I only had 320, and when it was doing VM on my 5400 rpm drive it was way slow.

Anyway, good luck.

Appleman
Mac Elite
May 3, 2002, 05:31 AM

Since this is the "Mac OS X-General Discussion" how to turn on-off virtual memory in OS X? I know how to to this in OS 9, but OS X?

starfleetX
Mac Elite
May 3, 2002, 06:40 AM

Originally posted by Appleman:
<STRONG>how to turn on-off virtual memory in OS X?</STRONG>
This was asked yesterday. See my response here.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

brian middleton  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2002, 04:41 AM

i can just disconnect my drives and switch them, correct? set my maxtor to master and my quantum to slave..will that work??

ervier
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2002, 05:25 AM

I believe it's just that simple. I have another question: I have a Maxtor 20GB that came with the G4-400, and a new Maxtor 40GB 7200RPM as slave. This latter drive has problems with starting up. When it goes to sleep and has to restart, it takes about 30 seconds and during that time the complete system is stalled. I have posted this question before, but haven't gotten a satisfactory answer. I've mailed to Maxtor, but they don't answer.
"Chance is irrelevant. We will succeed."
== 7 of 9 ==

Forum Links
Forum Rules