Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Anyone try 10.2 on Beige G3 266mhz

Anyone try 10.2 on Beige G3 266mhz
DeepDish
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2002, 10:15 PM

With 10.2 Jaguar more optimized, does anybody think it will run any better on a Beige 266 G3 when compared to 10.1x?

I am not ready to buy a new computer yet, but I really want to put OS X on my home machine, but from what I have read in these forums about X on Beige G3, I have not even tried it yet.

Anybody out there put Jaguar on an old Beige machine yet?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2002, 10:16 PM

There is a thread here about people like myself that can't even get it to install.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

vasu
Senior User
Aug 20, 2002, 10:25 PM

I got it to install on my Beige/300 and it runs just fine. It's faster than 10.1.5, and definately a good update.

My Beige has an unsupported video card so any speed inprovements are very noticable.

Also, it took me a while to get it to install too. During the installation, it'd often go to a black screen with no response.

I had to swap some ram around, and I had to have in, and ONLY have in, the original (2) 64Mb ram DIMMs.

Zap the PRAM a bunch, format the drive a couple times.

It'll work, it's just tempermental

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2002, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by vasu:

Also, it took me a while to get it to install too. During the installation, it'd often go to a black screen with no response.
I am having the same problem. Is it crashed or does it actually install?

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2002, 02:34 AM

I have never ever had a problem install Mac OS X on my Beige G3 266. I have been in X full time since Public Beta (well I spend a total of 1 1/2 weeks in Mac OS 9 during Public beta spread out).

The only problem I had with Mac OS X was when I first installed Public Beta. it took 4 reboots to get it installed. other then that it's been great. I am never every going back to Mac OS 9.

I am going to be on this computer for at leat another 18 months at least.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

Dr Evil
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2002, 02:52 AM

I put 6c106 on my Beige 266mhz and it ran fine. I took it off because I needed to use a pci 100bT nic and the drivers for it didnt work under 10.2 and iTunes 3 kept doing a weird thing where it wouldnt add anything higher than a song, so you could not add a folder.

I did not have any problem installing it. I have 224mb of ram in it, so it has a crazy ram arrangement and it still worked. Maybe I'm just lucky. =)

The installer crash with the black screen also happened on my my iBook and G4 when trying to install 6c106, but doing archive install instead of upgrade fixed that problem.
Quicksilver G4 867mhz 384mb/60gig
iBook 300 320mb/20gig
Athlon Xp 1700+(1.47GHz) 512mb ddr/26gig, GeForce 4 TI 4200/128mb
http://mayodreams.dyndns.org

jmcnally
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2002, 08:50 AM

Last night I installed it (as an "upgrade") on my G3/300 Beige and this morning everything's screwed up. I'm writing this from work since I can't connect to the net (all settings are there, unchanged, just can't make a connection). In addition, I'm having keychain issues like mad (keeps asking for keychain password, which is same as login password, but doesn't accept it). Word (for OS X) is having problems as well. I'm likely to revert to 10.1.5 if I can't figure this stuff out later tonight. Which sucks. The install went without a hitch. It's just after restarting that my problems began...

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 21, 2002, 10:46 AM

I decided to go back to OS 9 on my G3. It was just about usable, but it's not a fun experience.

By the way, is ANYONE waiting till the 24th to purchase a copy?

Chris

-Q-
Aug 21, 2002, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by clebin:
I decided to go back to OS 9 on my G3. It was just about usable, but it's not a fun experience.

By the way, is ANYONE waiting till the 24th to purchase a copy?

Chris
I did. Purchasing it for my Beige G3/300.

And I have to agree with the above poster that I've had an almost flawless install of OS X beginning with the public beta and 10.0 (lost system sound b/c I have the A/V personality card) up to 10.1.5. The latest version runs very well, not the speediest beast on the block but it's handled my Radeon, Firewire card and 100bt ethernet card like a champ.

Buy as much RAM as you can afford; that helps quite a bit (I have 768 MB). And I'll let you know what, if any, performance improvements occur from the Jag install.

tarkap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2002, 07:42 PM

I have 2 Beige G3/266's and only had a problem with one of them.

The first one went fine, without a hitch. It only has 96MB of ram in it, but it seemed pretty useable - more than I expected.

The second one (beige g3/266, 40gig maxtor, 512mb ram) would always crash or freeze up somewhere during the install.. whether an upgrade over 10.1.5, or an install on a freshly partitioned drive. I then looked inside the case and removed the 4MB VRAM add-in card, and this time when I went to do a fresh install I unchecked the Asian support, Localization crap, and Printer Drivers. Then the install went fine, and I'm updating my new 10gig iPod with it right now.. and an orange micro firewire card.

I'm not sure if it was removing the vram chip, or unselecting the options but I haven't had a problem yet!

Oh, and Apple really needs to work on their OS 9 installers... I tried to install OS 9 after I installed X because I didn't want to keep installing 9 everytime the X installer crashed, and 9 wouldn't install because MacOS 10.0 was already installed on the disk! argh! Had to install it to another partition, then copy it over to the partition with X on it.

iRei
Aug 21, 2002, 09:07 PM

If you have atleast 128MB of RAM you should be OK. 256+MB you should be fine

If you've put money into the machine(Video card, faster HDD and controller, etc) then go for it.

If its stock and has <128MB of RAM, it might be better to wait and use that $120+ for a new system.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Aug 21, 2002, 10:02 PM

i got it working on a 266 iMac w/160Mb and it was okay. it was occasionally grindy, some stuff kept crashing, and mysql broke. so i binned it and went back to the land of 10.1.5, for working purposes. i'll try again when i have more time to play.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Forum Links
Forum Rules