Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > AOL and Mail.app

AOL and Mail.app
cms
Senior User
Apr 30, 2002, 10:56 AM

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am from London and AOL is not supporting OS X over here. As far as I am aware, it has no plans to do so at any time in the future either.

I am able to use the US version of the AOL software but don't want to run it at all if I can help it because it seems to cause problems with my system (iMac 800 Superdrive, 512 SDRAM, running exclusively in OSX). I have broadband access from BT via a USB modem so only need to use AOL to pick up mail from that account.

I used to use Netscape 6.2.2 but it seems so big and cumbersome I don't really like it., although I am able to access my AOL email from it (hmmmm...wonder why? Anything to do with keeping it all in the family perhaps?!). I like Mail.app very much but AOL here in the UK won't give me the host or SMTP host details to put in the relevant fields and enable me to access my AOL account.

I just wondered if anyone knew what they were and would share them with me?

I appreciate any help or advice anyone is able to give.

direktor
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2002, 11:09 AM

AOL's mail is a closed system; it does not use standard POP or IMAP mail protocols.

You'll probably never be able to access AOL mail from a program other than the genuine AOL client or Webmail.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2002, 11:51 AM

direktor, not exactly... Few people told me that you can access your AOL email through Claris Emailer which is very ancient piece of software and isn't updated since.. um.. I think 1990s.

Probably you could try using it via classic emulator in OS X.

Hudson
Apr 30, 2002, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by cms:
<STRONG>Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am from London and AOL is not supporting OS X over here. As far as I am aware, it has no plans to do so at any time in the future either.

I am able to use the US version of the AOL software but don't want to run it at all if I can help it because it seems to cause problems with my system (iMac 800 Superdrive, 512 SDRAM, running exclusively in OSX). I have broadband access from BT via a USB modem so only need to use AOL to pick up mail from that account.

I used to use Netscape 6.2.2 but it seems so big and cumbersome I don't really like it., although I am able to access my AOL email from it (hmmmm...wonder why? Anything to do with keeping it all in the family perhaps?!). I like Mail.app very much but AOL here in the UK won't give me the host or SMTP host details to put in the relevant fields and enable me to access my AOL account.

I just wondered if anyone knew what they were and would share them with me?

I appreciate any help or advice anyone is able to give.</STRONG>
I and I'm sure others are curious as to why you're using AOL at all. It's not supported on OS X in the UK, the US software creates problems on your iMac anyway, and you have BT broadband service. Is this just a legacy mail account that you don't want to cancel? If yes, I'd say just launch Netscape 6 every once in a while to retrieve your mail. Your machine has plenty of horsepower for Netscape and you can probably let it sit there in the background and never notice it except to read your mail.

cms  (op)
Senior User
Apr 30, 2002, 03:18 PM

You know, you're right about it being a legacy email account that I don't want to cancel just now. I'll ditch the AOL software and try the Netscape option once again.

Thanks to all who have replied to my post.

Perhaps I could start another discussion about AOL and its unwillingness to support Mac in general and OS X (at least in this country) in particular.

Or has that one already been done to death......?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2002, 02:18 AM

Originally posted by cms:
<STRONG>I am able to use the US version of the AOL software but don't want to run it at all if I can help it because it seems to cause problems with my system (iMac 800 Superdrive, 512 SDRAM, running exclusively in OSX).</STRONG>
Don't worry, it gives me problems as well. It's crapware. I only use it for legacy purposes myself. Let AOL die with its $50B loss.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

waffffffle
Mac Elite
May 1, 2002, 02:29 AM

There are ways to access AOL email from an IMAP email account but they also require the use of AOL software. If you use AOL dialup as your internet connection for all internet applications (I don't know if this is possible yet in OS X) than you can configure a regular IMAP email account to access AOL mail. This is because imap.aol.com (I think that's the server) does exist, but it is private IP space. Therefore in order to access it you need an IP within AOL's IP range. You get assigned one of those IPs each time you dial into AOL. This is also how AOL employees can use other email programs to access their email.

Yes Claris Emailer (if you can find a copy) still works with AOL mail, as well as Netscape 6.

fulmer
Professional Poster
May 1, 2002, 02:36 AM

ditch the usb modem. get an ethernet one.

Pauline
May 1, 2002, 03:15 AM

If you are in the UK you could always check it online like I do sometimes. If you go to http://www.aol.co.uk you can check your e-mail through that site.
Powerbook G4 1Ghz | 1 GB Ram | 60 GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules