Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do I keep the PowerBook or not?

Do I keep the PowerBook or not?
iXavier
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2004, 06:51 PM

Greeting MacNN'ers,

I recently bought this fine 12" PowerBook and even though it's on eBay at the moment, I'm trying to decide whether or not to keep it.

I really don't need the portability. I was originally living in two places during the summer and it came in handy, but now I could just as easily use a desktop. I'll be going (back) to college in the fall, and I imagine it'll stay stationary in my apartment for most of the time and I already have a 17" inch monitor and external mouse, etc.

I suppose my question becomes: Should I keep this PowerBook, or sell it and buy a desktop? I was guiltily thinking a PC because all I do is surf the web, type papers and use AIM and it's so much cheaper, and I could use the leftover cash for various things. Also I'm a no games, minimal web design, not much graphic editing, and no video/sound editing kind of user.

So, please help me out with my decision. There's about two days left on the auction and it's around $1000 as we speak, but the reserve hasn't been met yet.

x.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2004, 06:54 PM

Sell, and use the money to buy yourself a new G5 iMac when they come out...

iXavier  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2004, 08:35 PM

Yeah, but iMac doesn't thrill me because I already have a monitor. How much is a G5 tower these days with edu discount, anyway?

x.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by iXavier:
Yeah, but iMac doesn't thrill me because I already have a monitor. How much is a G5 tower these days with edu discount, anyway?

x.
$1799 I think, but they've had the 1.6 refurbs for $1499. Great deal for a college student.

iXavier  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2004, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by TailsToo:
$1799 I think, but they've had the 1.6 refurbs for $1499. Great deal for a college student.
That is a good deal, but more than I paid for the PB with edu discount! LOL.

I was thinking maybe a cheaper desktop, unless I fall in love with the PB again before the auction ends or if I don't get my reserve for it. I don't really want to turn it into a Mac vs. PC debate, but I've switched off between Macs and PCs for the last three years and I keep finding that for what I need, the PC is working better for some reason.

Decisions, decisions... Still undecided.

x.

Rain
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2004, 11:36 PM

Sell it then put the money in a savings account until you're ready for another computer

KrazyEvilGoat
Banned
Jul 14, 2004, 11:39 PM

If it were me I'd keep the PB. Portability is nice, but for me its the flexibility. Bring it anywhere you go, and when you get home hook it to the 17" and you have a nice desktop. Since you don't play many games the PB is the perfect choice.

You already have it, why bother to get a PC?

iXavier  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2004, 12:05 AM

KrazyEvilGoat has a point, and a fun name.

I would need a computer, so putting the money in a savings account wouldn't work because I would need something to use.

x.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2004, 12:23 AM

Don't sell it or keep it. Just send it to me!

iXavier  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2004, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by demograph68:
Don't sell it or keep it. Just send it to me!
In exchange for money? Sure.

I think I'm going to end up keeping it just because I still like the idea of portability (and we all know that desktop sales have been on the decline and laptop sales have been on the...uhh...incline) and I can plug my monitor into it.

Plus, there's a day left and still $200 before my reserve it hit and then I'm taking a loss anyway, etc, etc. Sorry to bore you all with the details of my senseless trip with this PowerBook.

Any other comments would be appreciated.

x.

slimshady023
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2004, 12:46 AM

For your needs, buy a PC. This is a decision that won't be popular with many of the people here, but it sounds like a decision that you've pretty much already made up on your own.

PCs are a hassle for viruses and will take more time and energy to keep up. But if its straight money that you need, you can't beat a four-hundred dollar celeron box.

Your other option is to make some money, stick with the mac platform, and buy an eMac/something used and cheap. Check out dealmac.com.

best of luck,
- slim

milhous
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 01:00 AM

Originally posted by iXavier:
In exchange for money? Sure.

I think I'm going to end up keeping it just because I still like the idea of portability (and we all know that desktop sales have been on the decline and laptop sales have been on the...uhh...incline) and I can plug my monitor into it.

Plus, there's a day left and still $200 before my reserve it hit and then I'm taking a loss anyway, etc, etc. Sorry to bore you all with the details of my senseless trip with this PowerBook.

Any other comments would be appreciated.

x.
Good choice, keep it. You may not need the portability now, but it may come in handy in the future.
F = ma

Forum Links
Forum Rules