Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > My clock and everything on the top right doesn't work.

My clock and everything on the top right doesn't work.
i am yujin
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2004, 12:32 AM

The time is now 9:36pm yet my clock says 8:49pm. When I go to the clock in the menu, the rainbow circle cursor pops up and I can't do anything to fix it unless I log out.

Everything on the top right such as the sound, wireless connection, battery, etc. I can't change due to the rainbow circle cursor. Everything else in the menu works though.
"iPod Mini embodies everything Apple nay-sayers cry at every turn: overpriced style with mediocre substance." -PookJP
yo w3rd.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2004, 12:37 AM

Originally posted by i am yujin:
The time is now 9:36pm yet my clock says 8:49pm. When I go to the clock in the menu, the rainbow circle cursor pops up and I can't do anything to fix it unless I log out.

Everything on the top right such as the sound, wireless connection, battery, etc. I can't change due to the rainbow circle cursor. Everything else in the menu works though.
Try typing this in the Terminal:

killall SystemUIServer

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2004, 08:26 AM

Try trashing the Finder preferences....as the menu bar is part of the finder.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2004, 03:09 PM

SystemUIServer � the program that manages Menu Extras like the clock � is not run by the Finder. It's a completely unrelated app.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2004, 04:57 PM

Thanks for the correction Chuck. Some days it's best to stay in bed...
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Terri
Senior User
Aug 26, 2004, 08:12 PM

Nice

I've had this happen to me too and I ended up logging out to fix it. killall SystemUIServer is much better.

airraidsirens
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2004, 12:39 PM

This has been happening to me everyday since the 10.3.5 update. My 10.3.1 system was 100% stable, now I have the menu bar items and various Apple applications going into beachball mode regularly, and when this happens I am NOT able to force quit them, nor can I reboot/shutdown/logout.. any of those options brings me to a blue screen with a spinning ring on it, which hangs indefinitely (I have to use the hard reset button on the front of my G4/800 to reboot).

-Adam

Fredo
Senior User
Sep 4, 2004, 01:06 PM

Take a look at this free app. Menu Extra Enabler. http://www.unsanity.com/products/free It may help, or maybe not. Just uninstall if it doesn�t work.
Who are the Brain Police?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2004, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by Fredo:
Take a look at this free app. Menu Extra Enabler. http://www.unsanity.com/products/free It may help, or maybe not. Just uninstall if it doesn�t work.
Good point, since that app hacks SystemUIServer, it could be the cause of the problem if it's installed, who knows.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules