Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Neighbour advice pls (parking rage)

Neighbour advice pls (parking rage)
Rain
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2004, 08:50 AM

*edit*

Thanks for everyone's advice.
( Last edited by Rain; Dec 22, 2004 at 09:21 AM. )

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2004, 08:55 AM

Sounds like this could escalate into a nasty mess.

or flat tires.
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2004, 08:56 AM

Fight the good fight...I would definitely report them to the police; especially, if they are confronting people and/or possibly threatening people. They are already doing an illegal action, which in turn, could lead to other illegal actions. Might as well stop things now before they get even worse.

What if they get a 3rd car? This will continue the already out of control cycle...

voyageur
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2004, 09:01 AM

It sounds like the neighbors don't have a legal leg to stand on. So really what it comes down to is this. Is it worth a rift with them to allow you to park your car where you want? If you think it is, then yes, tell the police that they are regularly putting cones there and have them talk to the offenders. If you can live with parking on the crowded side of the street, don't bother making a fuss. Do what's best for you. Best of luck.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2004, 09:07 AM

I wouldn't confront them again, from what I read in your post it wouldn't be very effective anyway, so it would be wasted energy. I say contact the police, or those that can do something about this, and explain the situation.

I think your neighbour is one of those that is super-friendly when they see authorities, and does everything they ask, until they are gone, then goes right back to doing what he shoudn't.

I suggest you keep it legal, and try to solve it that way. Instead of having this get out of control and then maybe get fined cause you also did someting illegal. I think you'll just need lots of patience and contact the right people ....

Good luck !

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

-Q-
Sep 28, 2004, 09:13 AM

People like this need to be reminded that they don't own the neighborhood, or a public street, regardless of how long they've lived there. Keep parking where you want to and keep documenting everything that happens. And don't hesitate to call the police if you feel threatened or in danger.

But try and stay on the high road as much as you can. Try not to lose your temper and try not to let things turn ugly. But don't give in. Good luck.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2004, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by Sandbaggins:
Sounds like this could escalate into a nasty mess.
or flat tires.
Or some nice scratches...

Not a nice situation to be confronted with.
Good luck !

-t

Fiend
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2004, 09:24 AM

Take lots of photos of what is being done. Specially with them in the act of putting the cones out/moving them/etc. Document document document.

qualey2
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2004, 09:26 AM

Dated and time stamped photos of the cones would be good. I would explain the situation to an officer down at the station and let them go down and see whats going on.

Ω
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2004, 09:30 AM

Sounds like the perfect time to put a horses head in their bed while they are sleeping, if you ask me.

You have to show them that while they resort to pitiful orange cones (no doubt stolen), you are willing to f-v-c-k them over.

ringo
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2004, 09:34 AM

You can't reason with unreasonable people, and there's really no comprimise that you could hope to reach.

I'd keep parking where you want, but keep an eye on our car. If you can catch them vandalizing it, or if you can lure them into either threatening you or threatening to damage your property, you can bring the law into it.

You might want to talk to a local cop about the situation for advice, just because they should have some knowledge about how situations like this play out when they go bad and laws are broken. That also leaves you the "I spoke to officer X about this and he/she suggested..." line if and when the cops are called again.

Neighbors sound like real assholes. Good luck. Hopefully you can nip his in the bud and be done with it, any kind of extended struggle is going to get old fast.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2004, 09:44 AM

First come, first serve.

Rain  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2004, 09:55 AM

Thanks folks! I feel better from your replies and support! I guess I'll call city hall and see what they suggest now that being diplomatic didn't work. I don't really want to have the police involved, but maybe I should since they don't seem like reasonable people. A good thing about yesterday's event was that it was done in the early evening when most people were home - witnesses! (lets hope they're on my side )

I'll remember to stay on the high road - almost lost it today when they confronted me. And yes, the digi cameras are loaded and ready.

P.S. My car's pretty old, so I don't care about scratches or dents

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2004, 10:08 AM

Originally posted by Rain:
That helps. With a new car, I would be afraid...

-t

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2004, 10:09 AM

keep us posted.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

hayesk
Sep 28, 2004, 10:09 AM

That is a huge advantage then. But still document everything they do. Get pictures, or better yet video. But don't confront them, get the police involved.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2004, 10:31 AM

Sit on your front porch while sipping on a fifth of Jim Beam and cleaning your shotgun.

If you had done that on the first day you moved into the house, you wouldn't be having problems with your neighbors.

It's amazing how well a drunken gun-cleaning in public can put things into perspective. Sure, they want to use those orange cones...but not as much as they don't want to get shot.

You don't ever have to say a word. Just sip and clean your weapon.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2004, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
You don't ever have to say a word. Just sip and clean your weapon.

You location says it all !

-t

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2004, 10:40 AM

Hi,

I could use some advice, and/or a sympathetic ear. Warning: neighbourhood drama.
if you were threatened or anything i would file a complaint with the police. the best thing you can do for now is document as much of this as possible and start a paper trail. this may be one of the few times when the police can actually be your ally.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2004, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by manofsteal:
Fight the good fight...I would definitely report them to the police; especially, if they are confronting people and/or possibly threatening people. They are already doing an illegal action, which in turn, could lead to other illegal actions. Might as well stop things now before they get even worse.

What if they get a 3rd car? This will continue the already out of control cycle...

before you report them, get video footage of them placing cones in front of their house. etc ... if the police doesnt take care of this, a nice bottle of concentrated lemon juice (with a squirt tip) carefully applied to the neighbor's gas tank will make you feel better ... even if it doesnt really solve the problem itself.

realistically .. get footage and to to the cops, or talk to your neighbors ... strength in numbers

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2004, 07:18 PM

Fight this fight. Do what is right, not what is convenient.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2004, 07:29 PM

I'd go for the tank.

Additional generic suggestion: Videos, pictures, PSed picture of one of the people holding the gymnast with her head dangling off. Never know what'd work.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 28, 2004, 07:35 PM

Steal the cones and throw them in a dumpster.

Are they street worker cones? In other words, did they steal them?

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2004, 02:12 AM

ot if you really want to.... call the city and say there are some unused cones at x location... can you pick them up... so the city comes over and picks up their cones (assuming they are not the soccer style ones)

good luck man,.... and post un update thread when stuff happens..

Zach

busterhide
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2004, 02:24 AM

ou don't ever have to say a word. Just sip and clean your weapon.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2004, 03:07 AM

Good advice, manofsteal. This will provide another benefit. If there's any real drama with them later, it will be documented that there were prior incidents. I'm no lawyer, but I think this would help.

Of course, you could move into a beige house in the vanilla suburbs, where you only see your neighbor in passing, before the automatic garage door closes behind you.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

ringo
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2004, 07:13 AM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
before you report them, get video footage of them placing cones in front of their house. etc ... if the police doesnt take care of this, a nice bottle of concentrated lemon juice (with a squirt tip) carefully applied to the neighbor's gas tank will make you feel better ... even if it doesnt really solve the problem itself.
Putting *anything* in their gas tank, or even stealing their cones, is stupid since it lets your neighbors call the cops about you damaging their property without bothering to mention why you were damaging their property. Your other neighbors will find out and any good will you had in the neighborhood will be gone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules