Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > My dual 2.7 G5's fans turn up to SUPER LOUD at the launch of any app (help)

My dual 2.7 G5's fans turn up to SUPER LOUD at the launch of any app (help)
Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2005, 05:12 AM

Hey,

I'm familiar using dual 2.0 or 2.3 in my school's labs. I have noticed one signficantly annoying issue with my g5 since the day i got it.

If i boot up and launch itunes, my fans step up 1 notch, if i launch anything else like photoshop cs2 for example, or a few widgets in dashboard, the thing goes crazy, like airplane hanger loud, and it does this every few min, silent, medium, ULTRA loud fans. I understand that the cooling system might require this at times, but the fans in the lab ones never get this loud unless I am pushing the machine to much greater things. I'm suprised that it gets so loud under just regular web browsing.

Is this normal? I've reset my PRAM and SMU, neither made a difference.

Should i shlep this thing down to the apple store to have a genius listen to my complaint? or is this something everyone deals with??

Sometimes it just gets REALLY loud for a second, that scales back for 10 min, then up again. It's extremely distracting when doing work.
| MBA Student | MacAddict | CarAddict | PhotoNut | Dork | PhishHead |

Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2005, 09:14 AM

I've noticed when the settings for processor are on highest instead of automatic the fans REALLY go loud. It is a loud machine and I'm quite sure everyones is.

voo
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2005, 09:37 AM

This is a known issue since upgrading to .4.3, what I done to solve it was...

1. unplug the power cord at the back of the tower for 5 mins
2. power up and enter open firmware
3. typed reset-nvram then return
4. typed reset-all then return

after restart the fans are as normal as .4.2, ocassional whir now and then on automatic but no turbine. The fans definately won't roar on highest well atleast they shouldn't.

Lee33
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2005, 04:47 PM

I had that same problem with my dual 2.7's. Someone who knows a LOT more than I do told me to go into System Preferences>Energy Saver>Options and change the drop down menu from Automatic to Highest. I have not had any problems with reving fans since.
2 X 2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 4.5GB RAM, 30" Cinema Display

Chinasaur
Senior User
Dec 21, 2005, 11:24 PM

Are you sure your CPU fans (removable) are seated correctly? Are they spinning when powered on?

The assembly can feel like it's seated and might not be.

Something to check?
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2005, 12:59 AM

The fans on my Dual 2.0 rev A have been revving quite a bit with 10.4.3. But with 10.4.2 the fans were very quiet. On 10.4.1 or one the other updates the problem was very bad and I actually had to manually change the processor settings so hte fans would not rev so often--launching an application shouldnt make the fans go into full speed.

It seems that Apple manages to fix the problem with one update but soon enough the fan rev problem resurfaces on the very next update. 10.4.4 is supposed to be out soon....

Forum Links
Forum Rules