Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > HD Drive Dock experiences

HD Drive Dock experiences
Tee
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 27, 2010, 10:14 AM

I'm thinking of getting a drive dock instead of a full enclosure as part of my next HD purchase.

Anyone have any favorites/recommendations or are they all pretty much the same??

I tend not to like to leave all of my various drives mounted when I'm not using them, so I always look for enclosures that can be powered off.

Anyone know if it is possible to have a drive inserted in the dock, but for it to be powered off?

ibook_steve
Jul 27, 2010, 12:00 PM

I'm using the Thermaltake BlacX and it is fantastic. Switch on the back to turn it on and off. It's been much more reliable than my other full enclosures. Why? Not sure, but it does keep the drive cool without a fan. Newegg is the place to go.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Cold Warrior
Jul 27, 2010, 06:59 PM

ez dock 2. Am happy with it.

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
Jul 29, 2010, 02:34 PM

I have the "Thermaltake BlacX Duet" which allows two drives
Amazon link: Amazon.com: Thermaltake BlacX Duet USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive ST0014U:…
Too many Apple/Mac products to even bother listing!

Tee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2010, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by SoBayJake View Post
I have the "Thermaltake BlacX Duet" which allows two drives
Amazon link: Amazon.com: Thermaltake BlacX Duet USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive ST0014U:…
Can both drives be performing different tasks at the same time via the single USB connection??

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
Jul 29, 2010, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tee View Post
Can both drives be performing different tasks at the same time via the single USB connection??
If you are asking if they show up as two independent drives in Finder, yes. The dock doesn't create a RAID set or anything like that.

The product site states:
- Hot-Swap Capability for Rapid Multi HDDs Access & Exchange
* When utilizing eSATA interface, Port Multiplier feature is required on the host system’s eSATA controller for two hard disk drives to be seen at the same time. All USB supports Port Multiplier function.

So if you use USB, you are fine (which I use). If you use eSATA, you might have issues.
Too many Apple/Mac products to even bother listing!

Forum Links
Forum Rules