Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > I just discovered opt-clicking a folder in the finder

I just discovered opt-clicking a folder in the finder
MPMoriarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2004, 04:10 AM

I have been getting annoyed by the fact that when browsing through the Finder, it would forget my viewing options for particular folders (column view would overwrite everything all the time), etc.

Then by accident I hit the option key as I opened a folder. The next think I knew, the front window faded out and the folder I double clicked faded in exactly as it should it. With all the correct viewing settings I had configured for it. Even the window size was perfect.

This feature has probably been discovered a long time ago, but I never knew about it.

Pretty cool.

Mike

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2004, 05:48 AM

Originally posted by MPMoriarty:
Then by accident I hit the option key as I opened a folder.
Try holding the command (apple) key while double clicking a folder. This will open the folder in a new window (with the settings for that window) and leave the parent folder open.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2004, 06:14 AM

Originally posted by MPMoriarty:
Then by accident I hit the option key as I opened a folder. The next think I knew, the front window faded out and the folder I double clicked faded in exactly as it should it. With all the correct viewing settings I had configured for it. Even the window size was perfect.

This feature has probably been discovered a long time ago, but I never knew about it.

Pretty cool.
Option-clicking a folder has been since I landed up in the Mac scene at least, and that dates back to System 7.0.1

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2004, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by eevyl:
Option-clicking a folder has been since I landed up in the Mac scene at least, and that dates back to System 7.0.1
It probably dates back to System 5 or earlier. The original poster has stumbled onto the persistent OS X problem of spatial and browser Finder modes not being separated. It's a problem many of us have been whining about for a long time. The best advice I can provide is to try to turn off the brushed metal Finder browsers whenever they show themselves (by pressing the toolbar button on the right hand side of the window bar) and then leaving one particular folder set to browser mode. I, for example, have my hard drive in browser mode, and I leave it in the Dock. Whenever I want a browser window, I click my hard drive and get one, but other than that I preserve my spatial Finder reasonably well. Also, in Finder Preferences you can choose to always open folders in new windows.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

MPMoriarty  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2004, 03:52 PM

Well I am sorta new to the Mac scene.

Just bought my first Mac in Feb 2004. An iBook G4. running Panther.

Anyway. I kinda like the brushed metal Finder myself. It's just sometimes I run into little annoyances with it changing views all of a sudden. It's not really a bother. But learning about this opt-double clicking a folder is a nice feature.

Mike

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2004, 04:37 PM

It's odd - under the old system I was constantly using Command-Option-click - but now under X I never do it.

zachs
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 10:22 PM

I use it when I open applications. Open the Applications folder, Option-Double Click an app, and the folder is closed since I don't need it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules