Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Need help with a linux question

Need help with a linux question
Twinkie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2006, 11:15 PM

This looked to be the best place to post this question even though im not installing an OS on a apple computer, but I was wondering if i could still get help. I'm typing this on a dual 533 mhz Powermac G4. I have messed with linux on it, and installed Ubuntu on it at one point. It ran pretty well. I just recently aquired a Dell inpirion 3000 laptop for free. It is very old. It has a 2 GB harddrive and only a 233 mhz pentium 1 processor. I REFUSE to use the windows 98 that is installed on it. So my question is, is there a linux distribution that would run well on only 233 mhz and can fit in about 1 GB? Also would it be possible to say install a linux distribution on a Mini and boot from there? I rather not use the Dell, but i'm still in the process of saving up for a Macbook, and i want the portibility of a laptop now, but like i said i refuse to use windows so I would love to find a linux to run on this laptop...... sorry for the long story and thanks for your help.

markybigred
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2006, 12:56 PM

I think the deciding factor on whether or not that laptop will run linux is the amount of memory it has. If I remember correctly, most linux distributions require 64MB of ram or more. You may want to check out this distribution ... I'm sure thier website has minimum hardware requirements listed...

http://www.ubuntu.com/

BlackBook 2GB, 120GB | iPod Photo 60GB

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2006, 01:13 PM

I read about this a little while back. It might be worthwhile for you to try:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damn_Small_Linux

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2006, 01:17 PM

I actually have the Ubuntu 5.04 CDs (Live version and Install version) which i ordered from their website last year and it shows the requirements on it.

And here they are...
Minimum Requirements for the 5.04 "Install CD"
Ram: 32 MB
Hard disk: 350 MB (for minimal installation) or 1.8 GB (for typical installation) of FREE space on the disk.

The newest version of Ubuntu 6.06 should have similar requirements.

But since the 6.06 CD is actually distributed as a combined Live and Install CD (both versions on one disc), you'll most likely need to have at least 128 MB of RAM (minimum) to boot off of it because that's what the 5.04 Live CD version of Ubuntu requires.

So yeah, upgrade the ram if you can. Otherwise, you're stuck and would have to find older versions of the Ubuntu install ISO's or CDs.

Personally, i'd love for there to be a version of Ubuntu that would run on my Sonnet G3-upgraded Power Mac 6100... (i'm always trying to squeeze more life out of that thing)

Don't bully me, I got an Uzi... HOO-HAH!

kick52
Baninated
Jul 19, 2006, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by ©öñFü$íóÑ
I actually have the Ubuntu 5.04 CDs (Live version and Install version) which i ordered from their website last year and it shows the requirements on it.

And here they are...
Minimum Requirements for the 5.04 "Install CD"
Ram: 32 MB
Hard disk: 350 MB (for minimal installation) or 1.8 GB (for typical installation) of FREE space on the disk.

The newest version of Ubuntu 6.06 should have similar requirements.

But since the 6.06 CD is actually distributed as a combined Live and Install CD (both versions on one disc), you'll most likely need to have at least 128 MB of RAM (minimum) to boot off of it because that's what the 5.04 Live CD version of Ubuntu requires.

So yeah, upgrade the ram if you can. Otherwise, you're stuck and would have to find older versions of the Ubuntu install ISO's or CDs.

Personally, i'd love for there to be a version of Ubuntu that would run on my Sonnet G3-upgraded Power Mac 6100... (i'm always trying to squeeze more life out of that thing)
i got those exact CDs and i installed it on my beige (sig) and it was **** slow. though, this was with a 4gb 10 year old HD.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2006, 09:07 PM

Try Xubuntu.

Forum Links
Forum Rules