Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > GPS/CoreLocation not working

GPS/CoreLocation not working
krove
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2008, 01:59 PM

I upgraded to the iPhone 3G a few weeks ago and have been using the GPS a lot. After the 2.0.1 update, though, I will go into Maps and hit the "Locate me" button and it will just spin and spin and spin. GPS, WiFi and 3G are all activated. I will go across the city and same thing. In fact, the only way to fix it is to power down the phone and power it back up. I tried justing turning off location services, and then turning it back on but that didn't work.

Has anyone else experienced this?

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2008, 05:32 PM

I have also had this problem--GPS wouldn't work even with 5 bars of 3G service outside. Like you, after powering down and back up it would work--once. *Sigh* I guess we'll have to wait for another software update.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2008, 11:13 PM

The bars of service have absolutely nothing to do with GPS.

Rumor
Aug 11, 2008, 03:20 AM

Mine works just fine.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Cipher13
Aug 11, 2008, 05:06 AM

Works fine here. Reinforcing what alex said, your cell reception has nothing to do with having a GPS carrier lock (though you should have cell phone triangulation if you don't have GPS, but do have cell reception).

Next time, see if other apps are receiving data from the GPS component - something like "Here I am" would do well for that. Just see if it gives you co-ordinates and a GPS-level accuracy.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2008, 06:06 AM

I have this also and have since Day One, with software, 2.0.

A restart always fixes it. Without one, it's less than a 50/50 chance that GPS will work--with the pulsating blue dot on Google Maps. Other location-based stuff does seem to work... Finding theatres near me in the Box Office app, for instance.

Known bug with discussions underway on Apple's own support forums.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Forum Links
Forum Rules