Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Replacement drive for Sawtooth recommendations

Replacement drive for Sawtooth recommendations
ginop1
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2005, 04:19 PM

I have a PowerMac G4 500 (Sawtooth). The 27 Gig internal is getting a little small for me. I would like to replace that drive with a drive that is anywhere from 80 to 100 Gigs (I will go higher if the price is right). Also, what enclosure should I use for the 27 Gig drive to make it an external for quick backups?
--------------------------------

--> Gino J. Piazza

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2005, 04:38 PM

Without making any modifications, you should be able to add a second internal hard drive without removing your original one. The largest drive you can use in your Sawtooth, without adding a PCI card, is 120 GB. I'd suggest heading over to NewEgg.com and looking up hard drives.

The cheapest is a Hitachi, which should work just fine: $82 shipped
If you're willing to spend a bit more, you can get a Seagate which has a 5-year warranty (the longest available): $94 shipped

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Feb 1, 2005, 04:45 PM

yeah, don't waste your money putting a 27GB HD in an external enclosure. you've got room for at least 3 HDs inside. you could even add Serial ATA (via a PCI controller card) and use as big of an HD as you want

bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 10:21 AM

I just added a 120 GB Seagate to my gigabit ethernet G4. It really wasn't hard at all. I had the same 128 GB limitation you face. Check to make sure your existing one isn't a Western Digital, b/c those have some special issues with the master/slave jumper settings. (This was pointed out to me on an Apple support discussion site -- where I discovered my existing drive was recalled before I even bought my machine!)

I got a deal on my Seagate (which I bought for reputation reasons, and its 5-year warranty). I picked it up for $99 at Best Buy and then sent in for my $50 in rebates. Total end cost will be only $50. So look around at some of the stores to see what deals are currently in place with rebates.

The extra space is fabulous. I still have all my original data on the existing drive. I want to make sure everything is working as it should, and then I'll erase the original and put all my photos on it.

I am fairly compulsive on the backing up issue, so I also bought a 160 GB Seagate on ebay (it was new in the box), plus a a FW enclosure from Other World Computing, and that will be used for backing up the new internal. I have another external that had been going for that purpose and that's also going to be used for backups.

ginop1  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2005, 12:51 PM

From what I gather from all of the above, I can keep my 27 Gig internal where it is. Am I correct? I just have to change the Master / Slave jumper settings. Is "changing jumper settings" the only thing I have to do? Or is the Master / Slave orientation more involved? Please let me know.

--> Gino J. Piazza

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Feb 2, 2005, 01:19 PM

jumpers are what determines the master/slave settings, correct.

mad cow disease
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2005, 04:09 PM

Be wary of Hitachi - they currently own the former hard drive division from IBM, which has had substantial quality control issues.

My personal preference for hard drives goes as follows: Seagate, Maxtor, WD, everything else.

In my experience Seagates are rock solid and although a bit slower, they tend to be DEAD silent. You can usually find cheap ones AR (after rebate) at Outpost.com - less than 0.50/GB, which is what you should generally be paying.

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Feb 2, 2005, 05:36 PM

bah! Hitachi isn't bad. IBM wasn't the greatest I'll definitely give you that, but Hitachi isn't bad.

they've fixed some issues since the sell-off.

ginop1  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2005, 01:15 PM

If I do keep the 27 Gig drive internal too, doesn't that mean that I have to order a bracket for the drive that I am going to order (the Seagate 120)? Please let me know.

--> Gino J. Piazza

jcadam
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2005, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by ginop1:
From what I gather from all of the above, I can keep my 27 Gig internal where it is. Am I correct? I just have to change the Master / Slave jumper settings. Is "changing jumper settings" the only thing I have to do? Or is the Master / Slave orientation more involved? Please let me know.
The master is usually on top, as it is the dominant position.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

OldCodger73
Feb 3, 2005, 05:05 PM

<<If I do keep the 27 Gig drive internal too, doesn't that mean that I have to order a bracket for the drive that I am going to order (the Seagate 120)? Please let me know.>>

No, the original drive is the bottom drive in a two-drive carrier. Check your manual for instructions on how to add a drive or, if you no longer have the manual, go to the Apple support site where you can download one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules