Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Printing 4 x 6 pictures on 4 x 6 paper?

Printing 4 x 6 pictures on 4 x 6 paper?
ginop1
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2005, 05:44 PM

My friend posed the following question to me. I am hoping someone here on this forum can tell me what I should tell him as I am unsure:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tom: I'd like to ask a favor. If you don't want to do this I'll understand, however.

I'd like you to ask Vinny or his brother a question: (I've emailed two Mac experts -one from BiMac and the other to the guy that I used to play RB with, but neither one has responded)

I have two printers: an Epson RX500 and a Canon i850.........

On both my printers I can print 8 1/2 x 11 pictures from iphoto fine -clear and centered

I can print two 4 x 6 pictures on 8 x 11 paper fine - clear and centered.

I cannot print 4 x 6 pictures on 4 x 6 paper on either printer.

My question:

Is this a function of my Mac or the printers? Should I be able to print 4 x 6 on 4 x 6 paper?

I called Applecare and they could not help. They claim that it is a printer-driver problem. I down loaded the latest printer drivers, but no luck.

---------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------

--> Gino J. Piazza

__^^__
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2005, 06:38 PM

I'd also would like to know the secret handshake. I've always had trouble printing 4 X 6 pictures on 4 X 6 paper.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2005, 11:36 PM

Not sure there's a trick. I have a Canon Pixma 5000...

From iPhoto I select "4x6 paper (borderless)" from the "Page Setup..." dialog (File -> Page Setup...), and "Full Page" from iPhoto's Print dialog (File -> Print). I also make sure I choose the correct paper type ("glossy premium", "photo plus", etc...). Hit PRINT, and out pops a borderless picture.

If your camera doesn't take true 35 mm film aspect ratio images (but rather 4:3 like some digital cameras do), make sure to crop your picture via iPhoto to 4x6 postcard or 4x6 portrait first.

YMMV, of course, depending on your printer and drivers, but it shouldn't be that tough I guess.
Just make sure you set the paper size in the Page Setup dialog to 4x6, then Full Page from the Print box (don't reselect 4x6... you've already told the OS you're printing to 4x6" paper, so you now want to print a full page.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 15, 2005, 10:34 AM

I have an i850 and photo printing has always worked marvelously.

But yeah, most (not just some) digital cameras shoot in 4:3 aspect ratio (like a TV) rather than the classic photo aspect ratio of 2:3 (like 4x6). So you will need to crop the picture first. iPhoto and Photoshop have automatic constraints to that size, to make it easy.

tooki

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2005, 08:07 AM

Same story here with a Canon i865 (it actually comes with a special 4x6 feeder which remains in place with the normal A4 tray). Just crop the pictures to 4x6 and choose borderless and it works fine.
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules