Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > customizing affecting performance

customizing affecting performance
reemas
Senior User
Sep 23, 2005, 02:09 PM

i just saw the thread with the user customizations and i'm blown away. im always reluctant to customize my os though, because im afraid performance will take a hit.

have you guys found this to be the case? is the zip from your OS gone slightly?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2005, 02:12 PM

No. Not on any Mac I've used. Let's see, I have Shapeshifter running a theme, Windowshade X, Fruit Menu, Menu Meters, CalendarClock, Konfabulator, Transparent Dock, SlimBatteryMonitor, F10 and a couple of others. No noticeable slow down on either a Mac mini or my PB17.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

reemas  (op)
Senior User
Sep 23, 2005, 02:15 PM

good to know. i have a 1.67 pb so id rather not customize if it makes it drag, even a little.

where can i get the basics on customizing? seems like there are too many apps and i really liked what i saw in the latter pages of the customization thread.

nbn22385
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2005, 02:57 PM

You can always try out Shapeshifter and see if you notice any effects. Personally, I have never had any bugs or slowdowns because of it. It is a very finely tuned piece of software.

reemas  (op)
Senior User
Sep 23, 2005, 03:01 PM

i think i'll give it a shot, but i just finished reading about how it affects perfomance about 10% of the time. guess i'll try it.

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2005, 11:12 PM

you don't need to run nearly as many apps as randman is doing to achieve most of the mods you saw in the screenshots thread. step by step, man. start with shapeshifter for themes and candybar for system-level icon replacement, that's what i'd recommend. other than those, even after years of GUI customizing the only other mod i run is windowshadex.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

reemas  (op)
Senior User
Sep 25, 2005, 11:42 PM

yeah im using the two you mentioned. candy bar is great.

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2005, 02:06 PM

shapeshifter's programmer has stated that the only lag caused by installing this haxie is when you launch an app and the system loads in the themed UI for that app, such as an iTunes skin, a VLC skin, etc. it's unnoticable on any newish mac for sure. happy customizing!

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 27, 2005, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by reemas
i just saw the thread with the user customizations and i'm blown away. im always reluctant to customize my os though, because im afraid performance will take a hit.

have you guys found this to be the case? is the zip from your OS gone slightly?
Depends, replacing files directly doesn't hinder performance. But patching files do.
Originally Posted by Ji Eun
shapeshifter's programmer has stated that the only lag caused by installing this haxie is when you launch an app and the system loads in the themed UI for that app, such as an iTunes skin, a VLC skin, etc. it's unnoticable on any newish mac for sure. happy customizing!
Window opening and such in the Finder is also alot slower using Shape Shifter. It's just not when it loads an application. As I can notice slow-downs throughout the whole user experience. Just like when you used Kaleidoscope or Aaron back in the OS 9 days.

Now the biggest HIT may be during that time of the launch. But it's not the only noticeable difference.

I have a 1.25 GHZ G4 and notice the difference.

Then again, I turn off the animation when opening a window just because it's faster, so I am kinda anal about such things.

Forum Links
Forum Rules