Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > freezing ( just bought ibook)

freezing ( just bought ibook)
cheery7upper
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2005, 02:57 AM

My ibook is less than 3 days old and when I am using ichat and people are directly connected to me from other computers to send me pictures if i am dragging the picture in to the iphoto my computer freezes and has to be completely shut down and restarted before I can work with it again - can someone please tell me what is going on or if this is normal because 3 day old ibook with a 1gb hardrive and 80ram should not be doing this - I THOUGHT APPLES WEREN'T SUPPOSED TO HAVE PROBLEMS LIKE THIS!!!!!!!

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2005, 04:26 AM

for starters, i'd run software update and see if there's a new version of ichat available.
if not, or if the problem persists, i'd certainly call apple since it's a new machine.
after that, it gets slightly more involved. you can run a search in spotlight for "ichat" and trash every single thing, then reinstall the app from your OS X install CD.
also, what you said about RAM... click the apple logo in the top left corner and select About This Mac. and your hard disk would have nothing to do with this problem.
congrats on the new machine though. great deal these days.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

cheery7upper  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2005, 08:00 AM

it says I have 61.4 MB available on my hardrive
and it updated all my software the first time i turned my computer on

I forgot to add that I have a mighty mouse, and the 3 times the freezing has happend has been while using that.
( Last edited by cheery7upper; Oct 2, 2005 at 08:09 AM. )

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2005, 01:41 PM

based on your two stellar posts above, i am confident that you will not solve this problem on your own. 'luck.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

volcano
Senior User
Oct 2, 2005, 04:46 PM

You only have 61.4MB available on your hard-drive? No wonder. You have got to free up some space - otherwise your computer's stability will go down the toilet. Any make or model of a computer can't function normally with a dismal amount of free space left.

At the top left hand corner of the screen, click on the Apple and then click on 'About this Mac'. Tell us what version of Mac OS X you have, what processor, and how much memory you have - that will help us out more.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 2, 2005, 05:20 PM

I'm assuming you mean you have an 80gb HDD and 1gb Ram right?
I'm also assuming you have 61.4GB free.

The mighty mouse has been known to cause a few problems.
Try disconnecting the mouse and see what happens.

cheery7upper  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2005, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by volcano
You only have 61.4MB available on your hard-drive? No wonder. You have got to free up some space - otherwise your computer's stability will go down the toilet. Any make or model of a computer can't function normally with a dismal amount of free space left.

At the top left hand corner of the screen, click on the Apple and then click on 'About this Mac'. Tell us what version of Mac OS X you have, what processor, and how much memory you have - that will help us out more.

version 10.4.2 of Mac OS X
1.42 Ghx power PC G4
1 GB DDR SDRAM

cheery7upper  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2005, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ji Eun
based on your two stellar posts above, i am confident that you will not solve this problem on your own. 'luck.

well, that is obvious - this is my first mac and I asked for help :-) did I not ?

cheery7upper  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2005, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by seanc
I'm assuming you mean you have an 80gb HDD and 1gb Ram right?
I'm also assuming you have 61.4GB free.

The mighty mouse has been known to cause a few problems.
Try disconnecting the mouse and see what happens.

thanks for being so understanding - I think I wrote that entire post while WASTED like I was this entire weekend

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2005, 09:21 PM

so then, did you try anything i mentioned besides looking at About This Mac?

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

cheery7upper  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2005, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ji Eun
so then, did you try anything i mentioned besides looking at About This Mac?

yes, I searched for updates and there weren't any - I haven't had the problem again, but then again I haven't dragged a photo from aim to iphoto . I am still wondering if it is a problem with the mighty mouse

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2005, 10:05 PM

Well, why don't you try to without the mighty mouse and with your track pad and see if that actually makes a difference, and remember, the Genuis Bar fixes all! (if there is any near/in michegan...), also try just dragging the picture from iChat to your desktop and then later opening iPhoto by it self and going to "file>import *and they select the picture(s) you want to import". good luck.

cheery7upper  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2005, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Flip500
Well, why don't you try to without the mighty mouse and with your track pad and see if that actually makes a difference, and remember, the Genuis Bar fixes all! (if there is any near/in michegan...), also try just dragging the picture from iChat to your desktop and then later opening iPhoto by it self and going to "file>import *and they select the picture(s) you want to import". good luck.

well, I tried it with one photo and it didn't freeze, but I think it was more than one picture last time - anyways what I think I really need is a person in my room who can just fix everything for me

Forum Links
Forum Rules